Maya

I'd say that once they get their calendar they get a bonus of +1 to culture in all of their cities with every trade they make until any civilization reaches the Renaissance era. When the Mayans are in the Classical era they will get +2 in all of their cities for every trade as the Mayan civilization peeked in that era.

There should be some limits:
- Only 1 active trade per civilization will count. (So you can't trade three times with the same civ for +3 culture, you only get +1.)
- The bonus lasts for 15 turns. (So after 15 turns a new trade is needed to get the bonus again.)
- Does not apply to puppet nor annexed cities.

This because the Mayan civilization had a very wide cultural spread due to the high interaction in the area they were based in which lead to cultural diffusion.
That is until the Spanish came and conquered them (hence the bonus stops in the renaissance).

It sounds overpowering at first but it requires friendly relationships with civilizations in order to work (which is hard with neighbors). The bonus is also pre-Renaissance so you would not necessarily know all the civilizations yet.
It has the capability to be stronger than the France UA however the France UA goes on for longer and does not require friendly relations. (Different enough.)

I'd say it's pretty good as it gives the Mayans a nice early boost for a Cultural Victory. At the same time it can severely boost how fast cities take new terrain. Something that fits a civilizations that had a wide cultural spread.

Here's my theory:

They get a special extra icon on the page that lets you know what season it is, and the season changes every turn, with a rotation of four seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Winter: Better attack bonus when defending
Spring: Units get extra movement
Summer: Better attack bonus when attacking
Fall: Units heal quicker.

Oh and a free atomic bomb at year 2012 :D

I Would love to see this as the UA,It's bloody awesome

Quit the 2012 jokes though,They are so next year :lol:

I think the maya will have a faith based bonus per era I don't what it be maybe great prophet per era or +25 faith I don't know but that's what I think.

The Celts get +1 faith from Forests, to have a +1 faith from Jungles would be too similar IMO

Yep Free Great Scientist and faith from Jungles is too similar (Too similar to Babylon and Celts) to be it. It could be simple sure, but not that similar.

Bonus to plantations

Well if we had Cocoa in game I think that could be a possibility... but the "C" resource turned out to be citruses rather than Cocoa. Had it been Cocoa, I would guess this as a possibility. But at the moment, I really doubt it will involve plantations.

Gucumatz: Er, could not the Citrus resource be improved by Plantations? Technically, it's a Grove, but Plantation fits better IMO than Farm.

Not sure how this fits with the Calendar reference, though.

Here's my theory:

They get a special extra icon on the page that lets you know what season it is, and the season changes every turn, with a rotation of four seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Winter: Better attack bonus when defending
Spring: Units get extra movement
Summer: Better attack bonus when attacking
Fall: Units heal quicker.

Oh and a free atomic bomb at year 2012 :D

Makes no sense at all, as there are no seasons where the maya live

* Save for the rain- and dry seasons

The Celts get +1 faith from Forests, to have a +1 faith from Jungles would be too similar IMO

Yeah, it's essentially a combination of Babylon and the Celts.

Considering the initial reports said cultural bonuses related to their calendar, a faith bonus related to jungles and a one time science bonus (note, singular) related to the tech calendar seems unlikely.

Pretty sure it wont be something boring, 2kGreg has hinted that it is a little special.

I'm going with they get a free turn where they can play two turns back to back at different points in the game, perhaps the start of every era or every 50 turns or something.

Gucumatz: Er, could not the Citrus resource be improved by Plantations? Technically, it's a Grove, but Plantation fits better IMO than Farm.

Not sure how this fits with the Calendar reference, though.

Of course Citrus are being improved by Plantations. I don't think you understand my point. Why would the Maya get bonuses to Plantations? Doesn't make sense to me. If a new resource had been Cocoa, I could see this as a possibility (historically) but doesn't make any sense to me right now why it would involve plantations. Since we are getting citruses rather than Cocoa, I just don't see it happening.

I hope its something really unique. That seems to be the theme so far with several of these new civilizations.

As long as the Maya can thrive on dense tropical areas like the Incas do on mountains, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom