My Civ 5 Guide

Carlsguides

Chieftain
I've been a long-time lurker here, but finally feel confident enough to make an account and share my work. For over a year, I've had a Civ 5 Strategy Guide under development. For a while, it really stunk as I did not have enough time to update it for G&K or BNW, making it utterly useless to most players. I've worked on this in my spare time, as I also run a major Sims 3 Fansite. I've come so far in development that I'm finally showing off the Guide here, which will hopefully be helpful to newer players. My goal was to share everything I've learned about the game and improve things over time. I play on Emperor and stick with that, so that I can write to an audience that CAN build the Great Library and other Wonders in their games. I've been there quite some time but hope to try moving up to Immortal for my own enjoyment.

I am very proud of my List of Civilizations as it is used by many repeat visitors to help them pick a Civ for their next game. While not every Civ is linked, all 43 are list. The list is special in that it gives more information than the game interface and I find myself using it as a reference. I'm hoping to eventually finish all of the individual Civ Guides, but it takes quite some time to get the feel for a Civ and write out something that will be useful to new players - especially when I desire Victory before I publish

Just to note, I am not writing for Vanilla or G&K specifically to avoid development problems on my end. This is a one-man show and I'm proud it's made it to 122 pages. I am writing for the game with both DLC and all Civs/Wonders you can download from Steam.

I put in a comments system to allow others to share information there, because no one person can cover every angle of this deep game and other players have provided some valuable insights. Thanks to all of you who may take the time to visit. I'm always open to suggestion for improvements to make to the individual pages, though time is always a factor.

Please do share your opinion on my work here. I'd love to know what people think on the project as a whole and how I'm doing on relaying information.

Thanks!
Carl

While a portion of my content is gradually being adapted for the War Academy, I want to share some of the more unique and special sections of my site that I have developed over recent months. Some of these may not make it to the War Academy, as others more skilled at the game than I may submit work in the future. Still, they should be helpful to those who are new to the game or looking to improve their play. What I can give you is information on mechanics and help you to inspire ideas. This game is all about putting the mechanics together to formulate success.

• Unique Unit Promotions that Carry Over on Upgrade - exactly as it says.
  • Science - distinct from Science Victory, it is to give players a deeper understanding of how to improve the pace of their Research.
  • Cities - a 5 multi-page section about City Management. Includes everything from working tiles, city connections, and the basics of running your Empire.
  • Ideologies and Public Opinion - Learn the mechanics of Public Opinion and how your Civ can end up so Unhappy from having a different Ideology than other Civs.
  • Tall and Wide Playstyles - Understanding the differences and benefits of each and managing Unhappiness in Wide Empires.
  • Tips - an ever-evolving list of Gameplay Tips.

Thank you to those who leave comments for other players. It is expanding the knowledge found on the Guide. I have now published 149 pages on the game, with 7 in the works. I have a massive Unit Guide coming soon, so check back!

Top Bottom