Korea Scenario

Bringing this thread back up for a quick question: Is it possible to get both the Porcelain Tower and Himeji Castle as Korea on Deity? I find that even if I spend the first GE from Liberty on one and get the second one by turn 10, the other wonder's gone. (See MadDjinn's video for a similar situation.)
Yes it is. At least it is possible to prevent China from getting either, IIRC. The trick is putting the PC, or HC depending on what was engineered, into the queue. (Even after say units.) Near as I could figure out, China cannot build one if it is in your queue as Korea. OTOH, doing this as Mongols or Japan seems to create game crashes in some cases as far as I can guess. (Reloading a crashed game to a point prior to starting a PC or HC build seems to avoid the crash.)

In case anyone still cares: yes, the abovementioned trick does work.

It's possible to hold Seoul on Deity; the trick is just to buy / build enough Hwachas and park them behind the city until you can spam enough Longswordsmen / Musketmen to take your cities back.

For China (Immortal), it was really a case of spamming Chu-Ko-Nus / Knights for defence, and Musketmen / Cannons / Longswordsmen for offence. Managed to hold off the Japanese advance just north of Seoul with three Chu-Ko-Nus and a cannon, and did what was recommended and build a fleet of Caravels to cut off the flow of units.

Now working on Japan - Emperor difficulty. EDIT: Got both World Wonders: Used the Liberty GE on the Porcelain Tower and hard-built (with chopping) Himeji Castle. But I'm stuck after taking the coastal Chinese cities. How do you assault Beijing while fighting off the Manchu on the other side?

I hate to double-post, but I'm kinda stuck with Japan at Emperor difficulty. As mentioned above, I've taken the Chinese coastal cities in the north and am hovering somewhere around -12 happiness. My main attacking force has stalled outside Shanhaiguan and there's a massive Chinese counterattack beyond the borders. Nurhachi has declared war on me and I only have about 5-6 crossbows to deal with him.

How do you go about cutting off the flow of Chinese troops from the north and south as mentioned in this thread? I cheated and took a look at the map, but I don't see any good chokepoints. I have a decent-sized navy en route to the Chinese coast, but they're not going to be able to cut off the roads, and I don't see any good chokepoints anywhere. And how do you go about taking Shanhaiguan without incurring losses?

Ijust got a Deity victory as Korea, felt very rewarding. Took me a few hours. Won with 20 turns remaining.

Congrats to Yzman

I got a deity win with Korea too, but to me it din't feel rewarding at all. Tried to get the TEAK WON DOHH achievement (losing as Korea), but didn't succeed. China won the game for me after 100 turns all alone. I think it's a complete other story when you win by controlling all original cities. That achievement may be very rewarding. I'll keep on trying.

I, and I guess quite a few others here, got Deity victory as Korea EASILY. You can merely delete all units as they emerge, and press "Next turn" 100 times, and China does the rest. I guess it's the same on Emperor and Immortal as well.

The difficult this is, as mentioned by others, to lose as Korea, but I just did. Started on Immortal and went for suicide missions with every unit, as well as producing Scouts for the Japanese grind as long as I had cities left. I also bought off all Strategic Resources I could from China as long as I had cash, and tried to keep the peace with Manchu (so as not to give China the killpoints). The point is.. eh.. points, which Japan need desparately, because it has worse tactical abilities than a cucumber. Man, they are crap at planning an invasion of China! :wallbash:

I just got a Deity victory with Korea with a somewhat crazy strategy. On turn 1 I gifted 4 of my cities to Manchuria, thus creating a buffer between me and Japan and delaying their invasion, and also making Manchuria friendly towards me.

This delayed the japanese invasion and gave me time to prepare for their amphibious assault on the western side of the korean peninsula, which was unfruitful. Also, their units, instead of spawning above the Wajos, which were now in Manchuria territory, were going to the north side of Korea, which I was also able to defend.

Eventually Japan declared war on Manchuria and took one of the cities I gave to them. I was able to take liberate this city, and now 3 of my cities were outside my control. After this, Japan made peace with Manchuria. I now had a lot of turtle boats, hwachas and musketman, and was able to defend myself well when Manchuria decided to attack. Before they made peace with the Chinese (damn permanent alliance!) I retook one more city and pillaged 2 of 4 Wajos inside Manchurian territory.

During the peace treaty with Manchuria I kept giving my turtle boats experience by sinking Japanese amphibious attempts, and also defending the northern border against the Japanese troops spawning from the Wajos. During this time I noticed Japan decided to build trading posts above 2 Wajos inside Japanese territory :crazyeye:.

The peace treaty passed and in a few turns I retook the last 2 cities and got my victory on turn 60. It was a little crazy strategy, but very effective against the endless waves of Japanese units.

How much has this scenario been tweaked since it release? Videos of this scenario on youtube usually play out different after like 2 turns, since they are over 1.5 years old

I played as Korea on King. Actually quite easy, and I managed to complete it in about an hour (turn 35 or such). I read somewhere, that one say, that Korea is the hardest Civ in this scenario. Not IMO - because after Japan had lost their initial army, the AI are someway not able to send proper reinforcements (except from the Busan trait). Japan managed to take 4 of my cities, I managed to defense Seoul with 3 hwachas and a crossbowmen. And at about turn 25, their army was thin out, and a push back to Nippon was able in a few turns.

In my next game, I played as Japan on Emperor. The start was quite easy, and I more or less steamrolled Korea in about 20-25 turns. After this, I go for China (with a short war against Manchu), and after I got the first Chinese city (from east), I got problems. The bridge over the river, east from the first city, is "blocked", so every units end the turn after it, and the second city can reach the units here. Therefore it was a pure slaughter here, because I cound't get my units in position, before they there killed by the cho'ko'nus, cannons and the city. So I tried an alternative, and try to "go Mongolia", and attack from the north, combined with an naval army from south. This failed by several reasons:
- My army was too small
- Chinese army to big
- Great Wall are really annoying
- Japanese naval are really weak. Not able to cross ocean with anything, and only got triremes. Therefore you only have 2 to-tile broad passage east of Korea.
- Those bad-ass Turtle Ships destroyed my naval. Seriously, they can almost insta-kill triremes, while you need 3 triremes to take out one Turtle Ship

Maybe I could win by time. But this was only about turn 50, so I surrendered, because I haven't the patience to a long war, which will take a half day or such.

By the way, do someone know if it is only the AI Japan, that got reinforcements at Busan? Or it is difficulty-related?

I read somewhere, that one say, that Korea is the hardest Civ in this scenario.

By the way, do someone know if it is only the AI Japan, that got reinforcements at Busan? Or it is difficulty-related?

Actually Korea is the hardest Civ to lose as during the Koran scenario. It really does take work to get the achievement for losing as them. (Unless you click resign)
China will get enough unit point kills to ensure that the only thing you need to do to win on Deity is retake Seoul. (On Deity, you are extremely likely to lose Seoul by turn 5 but should be still able to stop them with somewhere between one to three cities remaining.)

Both Korea & Japan get periodic reinforcements; or at least did the last time I played it.
Japan was actually suffering from tile of doom within the territory that they held.

As Human Japan; I would strongly advise against the AI tactic of splitting your forces between China & Korea. Take out all of Korea first; then drive to Beijing.
Hardest civ to win as is probably Manchuria even though they don't start the game at war with anybody.

Actually Korea is the hardest Civ to lose as during the Koran scenario. It really does take work to get the achievement for losing as them. (Unless you click resign)
China will get enough unit point kills to ensure that the only thing you need to do to win on Deity is retake Seoul. (On Deity, you are extremely likely to lose Seoul by turn 5 but should be still able to stop them with somewhere between one to three cities remaining.)

Both Korea & Japan get periodic reinforcements; or at least did the last time I played it.
Japan was actually suffering from tile of doom within the territory that they held.

As Human Japan; I would strongly advise against the AI tactic of splitting your forces between China & Korea. Take out all of Korea first; then drive to Beijing.
Hardest civ to win as is probably Manchuria even though they don't start the game at war with anybody.

To lose, yes, Korea is maybe the toughest one. But not to win IMO.

Recently I tried all of the factions on Deity. So here is how I did it:

Korea
So I have played Korea - Deity. Didnt do goofy staff like selling cities to Manchu or waiting 100 turns. On my first try I took all of my cities back and won on turn 33, second try I lost Seoul and lost, then T31 win and then a 26 turn win, which was really quick.

The general plan is to hold Seoul and then do a push with Hwachas, I was inspired by MadDjinn's video. I think the idea to take all of Liberty to get GE for turn 1 Himeji is really great. I think the key is to let the Japs come to Seoul from south and kill em with Hwachas on flat terrain. On turn 14 I have about 5 Hwachas behind Seoul and destroying everything from the south. This way the Japs sacrifice a LOT of units and on turn 15-20 there is room for a Hwacha push. I put some Muskets in front and move Hwachas to siege cities. The Japs have only a few units left - which makes the conquering of all your original cities easy. The Turtle ships help a lot. Usually 2 are west and 2 are east with more coming but then its already over.

China
China Deity - this one is easy, I won on turn 58, but went for a slow build up, took all of Liberty for PT in Beijing on T1 and Piety for Golden Age. Rush bought 6 Triremes and built some to guard my coastline - first developed the cities and then kick out units. When having enough units made a push for Seoul T30, but the next city was T50 after clearing out their units and being able to reinforce and have the numbers. Coastal cities building Caravels for see domination, basically I amassed enough units and then pushed right through.

Japan

This one on Deity is harder. The general idea is to capture Beijing by coming from the sea. First conquer all of the Korean cities asap, except for the 2 most northern ones. Pyongchang is easy to defend and the northern cities are a good buffer against Manchu. Then get every unit into the see and head for the Beijing bay. Land and capture Beijing - not that hard - won on turn 36.

To be able to do this you need to secure naval dominance. You start with 3 Triremes in the west and I buy another 3 in the first turns to have 6 and be able to deal with the 3 TShips that are in the west. In the east the 1 starting Trireme is enough. There is need for about 25 Triremes - 10 to guard the whole Western Korean coast and 15 to secure the Beijing Bay. Therefore I punch a Trireme a turn in the capital, switching to Land units on turn 12. SP - took all of Liberty then Piety to GA policy. The free GE used for PT in Kyoto to be able to kick a Trireme a turn. Beijing will build the Himeji, but you will fight only a small port on of units near Beijing - it wont matter. The 2 front cities build 1-2 Triremes and then mostly Samurais.

So first secure Korea asap. Then send about 15 Triremes to Beijing Bay and securing the area to be able to get there with Land units. First sending the Samurais about 12-14, then 2 GG, 3-7 XB, 3-5 Knights and the most important and most vulnerable - 5-7 Trebuchets. When in the Bay (around turn 25-30) if happiness problems - give all Korean cities to Manchu and keep only Seoul - that will keep you above -10. But there is no need for this if you are happy as I was - but there is a bug there. Either way than land with 8 Samurais and 2 XB and 2 GG. Next turn move in and land the rest and on the next turn land the Trebuchets. China doesn't have a lot of units near Beijing (maybe 10), you destroy them move 4-5 Trebuchets into position and in 2 turns reap Beijing apart. Job done. Dont forget to block access to Beijing from the north east and south with 1-2 units. When they break them it will be too late.

Manchu
This is the most fun and kind of hard on Deity, but doable. SP take Left side of Honor, Liberty free settler and Tradition to Landed Elite, leaving Monarchy for Barb kills. This way you have capital and 2 settlers - 3cities is all you gonna need. The capital is powerful, plant one sity north of the capital to tiles east of the dyes and the second on the hill west where iron and horses are 2 tiles away.

The strategy is to clear all barb camps around your capital for the free units ASAP. Prioritize Banner Cav - you should get to 6 total after the clearing - I got 7. In the capital build Horse right away and then Barracks, Armory - Banner Cavs. Take all your 7 Banner Cavs the Horse and Khan straight to Beijing. You should have open borders so its easy to get there. Once there park your Banners outside their Northern border - so that you can move in next turn. Dow China and move your Banners to position. It's very similirar to the Mongol scenario. Move Banner in, shoot move out. Than capture with the Horse, but yyou need to know where to place him - on the north western hill, to come from north, this way only the city can shoot it, but unit in the city not. Took Beijing with GW and PT on turn 17.

Now its easy. I left 3 Banners in Beijing and 4 Banners + Horse + Khan race back to Uiji, but now you takes longer as you ar at war with China - need to go north of their cities. Ignore China completely now just defend. All you need is Seoul for the win. Move your Banners to Uiji shoot move out conquer - the same with Pyongchang and with some reinforcements from capital - take Seoul - Win - I did on turn 50, so a 51 turn win. You have to act carefully, cause your Banner Cavs cant get hit.

So not that hard after all.

I had a strange experience with this DLC. Played as Japan, steamrollered Korea (I wasn't given any option to annex/puppet cities, it just took them) but it looked like the unhappiness penalty was turned off as I was about 0 on happiness. I saved the game, reloaded it the next day and suddenly I was at 75 unhappiness!!! Obviously the game was impossible then, as I couldn't build anything quick and my units were suddenly really weak. not sure if this is a bug or not.

I experienced the same, it is a bug - you just need to give all Korean cities to Manchu but keep Seoul - that way you should stay happy and be able to make the final invasion for Beijing. See my write-up few posts earlier.

Top Bottom