Super Religions for Byzantium

I agree completely. I think their UA is very powerful, even better than the well regarded UU. I also don’t understand why they don’t get more love. I am just saying that if you start a hard game with the expectation that you must get a certain exact combination of beliefs, that you will likely be disappointed.

That said, this thread is making me think I have not tried warmongering hard enough with Theodora!

Warmongering with Theodora is hard. I've never found the UUs to be very useful. Don't get me wrong the Dromon is fantastic but I never seem to have the opportunity to wage naval wars. And the cataphract never gets a chance to shine because it is too easily countered by spearmen & pikemen.
And the with this Civ is that to get the most out of your Uniques you need to rush Theology to benefit your religion, rush horseback riding for cataphracts and build lots of dromons which takes sailing and a lot of attention on maritime cities. So that's three very seperate things to compete with each other, so its very hard to succeed at all 3...

Warmongering with Theodora is hard. I've never found the UUs to be very useful. Don't get me wrong the Dromon is fantastic but I never seem to have the opportunity to wage naval wars. And the cataphract never gets a chance to shine because it is too easily countered by spearmen & pikemen.
And the with this Civ is that to get the most out of your Uniques you need to rush Theology to benefit your religion, rush horseback riding for cataphracts and build lots of dromons which takes sailing and a lot of attention on maritime cities. So that's three very seperate things to compete with each other, so its very hard to succeed at all 3...

Yeah, HBR vs HS. When to do it?

HBR is worth it to me early for the Caravanasary. Moreso if I had Sailing and two routes. Sea routes can wait.

So the options would be Writing to Philo to Theo which takes time.
Or NC to HBR to Philo which might lose HS.
Or Writing to HBR with Water Mill to NC to Theo.

And then you have bull crap like the HS going on t74 (1040BC) which
just happened to me.

I'm not particularly impressed with Theo's warmongering, though I only played her on Emperor. But she plays good water maps. Get those dromons out, barb your way up to 30xp, and start some wars. Early ranged navy means early great admiral.

Yeah, HBR vs HS. When to do it?

HBR is worth it to me early for the Caravanasary. Moreso if I had Sailing and two routes. Sea routes can wait.

So the options would be Writing to Philo to Theo which takes time.
Or NC to HBR to Philo which might lose HS.
Or Writing to HBR with Water Mill to NC to Theo.

And then you have bull crap like the HS going on t74 (1040BC) which
just happened to me.

Horseback Riding is also really good to beeline if your start area has a tonne of pastures. Stables are one of the best buildings in the early game for generating a huge production city and I guess it's on the way to Civil Service so that's a bonus.

But yeah I understand the frustration with losing early wonders. I assume you're playing Diety level. Maybe try turning off ruins and selecting 'Raging Barbs'. The AI will always get the jump on early ruins because of the extra units they get at start.

I would think that successful warmongering with Theo would require making use of the UA to spam units mores than usual.

I missed this bit earlier:
And then with this Civ is that to get the most out of your Uniques you need to rush Theology to benefit your religion

HS is Hagia Sophia, correct? I usually enhance without HS, so it’s not clear to me why the beeline to Theology would be necessary if I am trying to warmonger with Theodora. Also, I never have had much success with Holy Warriors. Before using the ability, I want to enhance and buy a faith building in my four core cities. By then, it’s getting close to the industrial age. So HS is one way of that dilemma, but can you reliably get it when playing Immortal/Deity?

Either way, I don’t think HW helps much for Immortal/Deity, but maybe I am doing things wrong? How might the Byzantium UA tip the balance? Or, even with warmongering in mind, should one skip HW?

Just War works game long. Does it synergize with Faith Healers? It would make units city defending a city harder to kill, but not too much harder I wouldn’t think. Has anyone tried that combination?

I am still looking for suggestions on the ideal warmongering belief combination for Theo. As people wrote, Dessert Folklore + HW works well for any civ, but I am not understanding how it might help Theo in particular. Her UU are early, so maybe burn faith on those while I can, worry about enhancing much later (and skip opportunity for HS and cheap faith buildings)?

Yes, holy warriors is great on deity. The trick is realizing that YOUR religion doesn't have to have it. You look up who has it and get that religion in one of your cities. It only takes one. What I would do with Theo is pick up an extra faith-producing pantheon and see if I can pick up an extra 9 Fpt.

Hey well when I mean rushing Theology I guess if you're playing a religion based game one of the 3 religious wonders is useful to give your religion a boost, either by spreading by missionaries or the free prophet.

But theology certainly isn't essential, and to be honest I wouldnt consider myself a Diety player, certainly not with a weaker Civ on perhaps the hardest victory condition.

The UUs arent really going to help you win a dom victory so probably your best bet with Theodora is to use your extra belief to get something that will support your economy.

I suppose desert folklore + holy warriors you could use your bonus belief to get faith healers or another faith producing belief so you can buy more units...
Honestly I'm not sure, but I would probably avoid religious buildings and pick a belief like ceremonial burial that gives passive happiness or the +2 happiness per temples. If your going Holy Warriors on Diety I don't think you can afford to waste faith on buildings.
I guess an early Grand Temple is useful too as it provides a tonne of faith and extra religious pressure.

If we are still talking about Theodora. I think maybe a Liberty opener might work better to get us our sacred HS. I am dedicated Tradition player, so I am not used to a Liberty start. But I am thinking a three city REX might be enough to get a religion the hard way.

Inspired by this thread, I rolled up a map, Immortal, Continents Plus, raging barbs, everything standard. GnK but I bet it opens in BNW. It is a non-coastal tundra start, and no horses real close. Easy for expos to be coastal, and horses are obtainable. It was usual for me because didn’t settle in place, and I put a warrior early in queue. I have played to turn 50, and am having a hard time, but I struggle with Immortal. I could learn a lot from how people play.

Attachments

• Theodora_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
If you are experimenting with Holy Warriors, I recommend Celts, by the way. Not Byzantines.

Problem is I wanted to try HW combined with Faith Healers. But HW needs a faith heavy pantheon.

I founded turn 84. Holy Warriors not available...

Hence why this thread is moot to a large extent. Byzantines just don't get to choose their favorite synergistic beliefs. However, it does relate to a play style I like, which is how to take advantage of different RELIGIONS.

I could have also tried Just War plus another enhancer, but JW was gone too. Still, having a good game.

For the first strategy you mentioned, wouldn't it be better to save your faith to buy Great Musicians in the late game for concert tours instead of buying religious buildings in the early/mid game?

For the first strategy you mentioned, wouldn't it be better to save your faith to buy Great Musicians in the late game for concert tours instead of buying religious buildings in the early/mid game?

The first strategy I assume you mean Sacred Sites is intended to give you tourism for a culture victory from religious buildings. Once you have them all purchased, which you should by the industrial age then you can spend faith on musicians.

Anyway hoarding faith pre-industry age isn't much help if you keep getting prophets.

This map is better, same settings as before, but if you move warrior, can see coast. Horses are easier to get to. Also, I booted Celts from the game.

I was next-to-last to found, and choices for 2nd follower belief were weak, but I happy with the synergy between the other four beliefs.
  • Pantheon: Dance of the Aurora
  • Founder: Initiation Rites
  • Follower: Holy Warriors
  • Bonus: Messiah
  • 2nd Follower: Pagodas (Mosques would have been better, and Feed the World was gone. Divine inspiration was available, but its based on building World Wonders.)
  • Enhancer: Just War
I need tips on when to spend faith on units. Seems like I should convert target cities first, once I am on a roll. Faith buildings can come much later, once happiness is a problem, and for sure if I still need buildings once I hit industrial. Does this sound about right? Downside is that faith building progressively get more expensive, and there are fewer turns for them to pay back their faith cost.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
I wanted to play around with some of these strats and ended up with this map. Only emperor, so go to town!

Attachments

• Theodora_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    531.4 KB · Views: 67
Hence why this thread is moot to a large extent. Byzantines just don't get to choose their favorite synergistic beliefs. However, it does relate to a play style I like, which is how to take advantage of different RELIGIONS.

This is the problem. Byzantines probably works best at King to Emperor difficulty. Above that and the bonuses the AI gets just makes things moot.

Building a special religious strategy is really the key to this Civ. Otherwise compare this Civ to say Egypt...

Egypt gets +2 happiness and no maintenance for its Temple UB. So that is basically a free and better version of 'Religious Centre' (2 happiness per temple with 5 followers).

And Egypts UA +20% Wonder building bonus which again is like 'Monument to the Gods' pantheon but even better as the bonus is stronger and lasts all game.

So essentially Egypt gets 2 free (on-steroid) beliefs as opposed to Byzantiums 1 extra belief. So really what is the better Civ here????
Not really much to debate over.....

Regarding Holy Warriors I think it's doable if you can use your bonus belief and pantheon to get extra faith. Say choose God of War on Raging barbs. Farm all the invading barbs near your cities for faith. Get a religion and choose a bonus belief that will net more faith. But yes Celts are probably better. But Celts have a forest bias so you probably can't get Desert Folklore whereas Byzantine can get desert starts.
Or wait till the mid game and use the Reformation belief to buy industrial era units with faith.

I must say Messiah (cheaper and stronger GP) paired with Just War (+20% when attacking city of your religion) is great fun, almost OP. I am not sure why Just War is an enhancer when it doesn’t actually help your religion spread. Sure, it gives you motivation to spread, but that’s more like a founder benefit. Since both are enhancers, only Theodora can pull off this particular trick. First time at immortal that I was able to clear my continent — Egypt and Babylon (the later with Great Wall). But even after drilling into his territory with a couple GG, he didn’t fall until I got arty. So this prolly says more about how weak I am, than Messiah+JW being OP!

I only ended up purchasing a few units with Holy Warriors, maybe 4-6. I think HW is best if you don’t use faith for anything else. Maybe if you have a strat where you can count on HS for enhancing? Or just enhance late? I rarely catch HS and, as described by others earlier in this thread, unlocking the dual UUs really delays Byzantium getting to theology. This game, I was very vested in using faith for GP. Just War really helped me break out of my turtle habit. Messiah means you never need to use more than one GP burn.

Byzantines probably works best at King to Emperor difficulty.

You could say the same thing about Egypt! A UA that is greatly diminished at higher difficulty levels.

Above that and the bonuses the AI gets just makes things moot.

With Byzantium, you need to found. Which you can do at higher levels. Desert or tundra starts makes things much easier. All the religious benefits are quite good, so unless you are gaming for a particular combination, no need for a cooked start. But founding is still a crap shoot. At least with Egypt, going in you know the UA will only be used for National Wonders!

Building a special religious strategy is really the key to this Civ.

I don’t agree that you need a “special” strategy. Even founding late, there are very good Founder, Follower, and Enhancers available. That said, I had something particular in mind that I wanted to try, so I needed a faith generating pantheon, so I re-rolled until I got desert or tundra.

Otherwise compare this Civ to say Egypt... So really what is the better Civ here????

Since you can use their UA more than half the time at higher levels, clearly Byzantium! Egypt’s wonder-building UA is mostly useless at Immortal/Deity. And at lower levels, you don’t need it. But for folks who like to wonder whore, it can be fun. (But still only at lower levels.)

Regarding Holy Warriors I think it's doable if you can use your bonus belief and pantheon to get extra faith... But yes Celts are probably better. But Celts have a forest bias so you probably can't get Desert Folklore whereas Byzantine can get desert starts.

Celts get faith from unimproved forest, so they get an early boost similar to what other civs get from desert and tundra. The difference is that Desert Folklore and Dance of the Aurora work all game long for significant amounts of faith (since your territory grows), whereas one chops forests as Celts. I too am not following the suggestion for Celts as a good candidate for exploiting Holy Warriors. I would think a renaissance era UU would be best. One has to found for HW to be available (since it is a follower belief). I guess since the AI likes to pick HW, you need a civ that can found early, and Celts are good for that.

Anyone have strats where Holy Warriors is a make/break element of your gameplay at Immortal/Deity?

Top Bottom