Could You Have Finished This Game Quicker?

After looking at the map, desert folklore + Petra is a better option than earth mother due to the sheer amount of desert/flood plains, if you are going for faith that is.

Sun God may be equally effective (not sure how fast religions are taken on Emperor but if you want your non-faith pantheon to persist, you're most likely looking at Hagia Sophia + divine inspiration), but I think DF wins out here.

DF is clearly superior, but Sometimes DF is taken by the AI btw :) In his game, I see an AI that has DF, so maybe by the time you found pantheon you don't have it as an option ...

And Petra - aside from the free bonus caravan, I don't see how its worth it. Most of his desert is flood plains ...

How many friends and RA did you have?

I might play your save but difficulty "Emperor" is really not what I like. I'd say up your level to immortal or deity. AI has more money so you can have more RA and "more" challenge :)

Also remember that after the fall patch spaceship parts take much longer to build, so you lose some turns here too.

RAs are basicly waste of money in a game like this, where you are far ahead of the AI in terms of science ...

I gave this map a try, and well - it looks way better than it actually is.

Aside from the Babylon location rest of the nearby area is complete joke.

There are 3 reasonable mountain spots with almost no production - I probably had to settle on rivers, so I get hydroplants. Without em, production late game is simply awful. Cities with factories that have 30 hammers late game, meh ...

I played it like that :

1) 2 scouts - shrine - worker - GL (free Philosophy) - NC (around T50)
2) Beeline Education (T89), Got HG in the process
3) Beeline Machinery
4) Beeline PP
5) ST (around turn 150)
6) Radio (around T170)
7) Plastics around T200

So the main problem for a fast win is not the science or population - its the production. I had plastics around turn 200, still - I only started producing parts on turn 233.

I could bulb earlier and get Apolo say 15 turns before this, but the problem starts there:

Aside from the cap, rest of the cities need like 40 turns each to produce a part, so you basicly have to produce all 6 parts in the cap, and even with 133 hammers, it takes 12 turns each.

So, I guess freedom should give faster win here, as you can at least buy 2-3 parts, but I am not sure if you can finish the tech tree on time without the 25% factory bonus, so you get sub250 win.

I did play far from optimal, but I didn't really like the map at all. I'll probably finish it around T270 as well.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0015.jpg
    Civ5Screen0015.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 120
When I played it, I had almost the same benchmarks, though I did not get GL and was a couple turns later on education. I also did not put Nippur on a mountain. I chose to grow it larger instead. I'm not sure if that was wise or not. Due to Arabia, I had different city locations.

Anyways, I too started making parts on 231-233 (I don't recall exact turn), but did manage to finish on turn 256. I'm quite certain someone like Acken would do a lot better. Due to my decent faith, I was able to utilize 3 engineers to improve my time some. Though I did misuse one earlier, so I probably could have improved things a few more turns. I did not build all my parts in one city. I used 3. I had 2 really good cities and one reasonable one for production, but my city locations may have been more advantageous for that.

Just a note, due to all the faith talk. I ended up with enough faith to buy 3 GS and 3 GE. I could have went 4 GS, but as mentioned above, producing the spaceship parts was more important than 1 more GS. That is the power of faith. I built all my temples before amphitheaters, because the earlier you get all your faith buildings up, the more turns of faith you produce.

Bab Emp SV t256.jpg

I simply messed it up somehow. I finished on T273, but the issue at the end was that I needed to wait 10 turns before finishing the tech tree so I can bulb the last part with GE. All of this because the Arts Funding that was proposed at some point for second time (after I proposed it first, and then voted NAY) and I could not vote it down again ....

Main mistake was the Bab placement - I clearly overlooked the fact, that I can get free garden from HG, so I had a wheat and salt tile that were not worked by any of the cities. It clearly had to be on the hill 2 tiles to the east (where the OP placed it). This way I'd also have Petra inside + more good tiles to work.

Also , I didnt bother building religious buildings aside the shrine in bab. With the low production and fast technology, I simply don't have the time for that ... One Shoshone GP messed up with my FPT as well, as it converted Akkad and after that even if he stopped messing with me the polish GPs made sure I don't have my religion in there.

The problem with the city placements was to some extent because I played it as OCC until NC, and the polish took one of the better spots.

Anyway, with some more thinking I could shave 10-15 turns here too I guess, despite the smaller city sizes.

Emperor feels like a real walk in the park tho, I didn't bother building a single combat unit that game aside from the scouts, the AI was not really in it ...

I didn't build hardly any units either. All those units were from Allies. I even sent a few back, as I was getting over loaded with units. One more thing that may have made a difference, was that I build the tower of Pisa, which gave me a free GS on build, and 25% more GP generation over the game. However, my culture per turn was much lower than what you recommended earlier. I got a lot of my policies through Allies and Worlds Fair win with 2-3 writers and artist bulbed after the win.

I know we both could have improved. We focused on different things, but ultimately, there are a few people that would have beat both our times handily.

Oh, btw, did you ever get that updated patch, for the elongated spaceship parts times? I assume so by the difficulty you had. I personally would have just used your not so great cities to build parts. After buying the spaceship factory, if they built 1 part each, they could have saved your capital a lot of time.

yeah, fully patched game that is. I used two of them to build parts - it took 30 turns each tho :) Cap did the rest meanwhile.

Well, to be honest, if I play this one again, I can probably go under 250 turns, but its rather pointless. There is zero challenge here, as basicly nothing can go wrong.

Pisa is another interesting thing - I founded the congress, but I was not sure if I am first there or not, as Korea was somewhat secluded, and I had met em like 10 turns before this. At the end it was still available when I researched ST ...

I kind of enjoy these zero challenge games, as they give me a chance to work on my build order, to see what works best. I'm thinking that I may not be getting culture going enough. If I had 3 policies towards Patriotism, I might have had more science. I'm considering trying that out. I am getting better at my build order, but I'm certain I'm doing a couple things less efficient than I could.

Top Bottom