Austria is damn strong

lithium97

Chieftain
I know it's been written about before, but damn is Austria strong. I'm playing an immortal game, standard map, speed and AI's and my score is 10x the next highest AI.

It's about turn 200 and the militaristic CS's all have like 6-7 units. I typically have about 6-7 of my own units when I try to take down a city, so when I buy a CS I immediately double the size of my army, for the low cost of 500 gold (plus whatever it costs to become allied). Plus I get all the culture, production, and gold that gets produced per turn, usually about 20 each. With Order and the right side of Commerce, I have plenty of happines to boot.

I've heard suggestions on making Austria more challenging by making each successive CS more expensive. How about simply making it more expensive based on the amount of units and buildings you get for free?

this is a great topic that has never been brought up before. :rolleyes:

The problem with basing it on the number of units/buildings you're getting is that it creates a whole new slew of exploits designed to DM more city states as early as possible, and if they reprogrammed the AI to take full advantage of this change the game could become unplayable at higher difficulty levels (at least, when you're not Austria).

Increasing the cost with each DM seems like a much better fix, and much more balancing for the UA.

You don't get the culture bonus. I checked the last game when I played Austria, it seems all the culture buildings are gone. The puppet had to build the Monument again. And they rarely build more than the Monument, unless they truly have nothing else to build.

Played against austrian player yesterday(MP), he had enough money to buy 2 city states, I completely destroyed him with my aztec army ! well actually I took over china, and after a few turns I notiiced Austria completely sucks, because if he got a city state I could easily take over it, so he threw in the towel before my army got to him .. heh.. I thought it was rather sad that he had nothing going for him...

had i been in the same position, I would have admit it that Austria sucks now.. they got no real advantage, I even set a small map with 12 cs to 14, to give him some help. Also, idk if you guys know this, but score doesnt mean anything....

if you got 20 cities, 15 wonders, and your score is double mine, but im ahead 20 techs.. well.. we know who is going to win.. lol

Played against austrian player yesterday(MP), he had enough money to buy 2 city states, I completely destroyed him with my aztec army ! well actually I took over china, and after a few turns I notiiced Austria completely sucks, because if he got a city state I could easily take over it, so he threw in the towel before my army got to him .. heh.. I thought it was rather sad that he had nothing going for him...

had i been in the same position, I would have admit it that Austria sucks now.. they got no real advantage, I even set a small map with 12 cs to 14, to give him some help. Also, idk if you guys know this, but score doesnt mean anything....

if you got 20 cities, 15 wonders, and your score is double mine, but im ahead 20 techs.. well.. we know who is going to win.. lol

How is getting 4-12 up-to-date units for 500 gold bad in multiplayer? I'm afraid your opponent just sucked balls.

How is getting 4-12 up-to-date units for 500 gold bad in multiplayer? I'm afraid your opponent just sucked balls.

It was turn 40-50 and no city state had military units(maybe an archer in some)... all 7 of them in our continent.
and even if they did.. im sure my 6 swordmen, 4 composite and 4 catapults could have easily rushed and destroyed everything in seconds.. thats all i did from turn 1, jaguar after jaguar :p lol destroyed the whole continent..

Trust me, I have played around 40 games with Austria, they can be out numbered, they can be out tech, out everything, if you let the Austrians live, they "might" catch up.. their score means nothing when another guy is taking the city state from you, or is having a scientific boom..

Austria has no real bonuses until late game. No one is going to buy a city state turn 40... thats just ridiculous and there is certainly better ways of using 500g ... then using it on a city.. AND you are really losing out on the bonuses these city states grant you.

How is it possible that my aztecs took out 2 civilizations both chinese player and austrian player.. but you say austria is overpowered.. and I actually felt sad for the austrian because if he bought a city state, it would have been a waste because I could easily could have conquered it.. and then i thought.. "that means they got no bonuses right now and are pretty weak" .. and thats what got me thinking.. "austria is not overpowered at all"

There is a multiplayer forum page, that is the best spot to post multiplayer brags, not in the single player folders. The game plays totally different between single player and multiplayer and we all know that.

It was turn 40-50 and no city state had military units(maybe an archer in some)... all 7 of them in our continent.
and even if they did.. im sure my 6 swordmen, 4 composite and 4 catapults could have easily rushed and destroyed everything in seconds.. thats all i did from turn 1, jaguar after jaguar :p lol destroyed the whole continent..

Trust me, I have played around 40 games with Austria, they can be out numbered, they can be out tech, out everything, if you let the Austrians live, they "might" catch up.. their score means nothing when another guy is taking the city state from you, or is having a scientific boom..

Austria has no real bonuses until late game. No one is going to buy a city state turn 40... thats just ridiculous and there is certainly better ways of using 500g ... then using it on a city.. AND you are really losing out on the bonuses these city states grant you.

How is it possible that my aztecs took out 2 civilizations both chinese player and austrian player.. but you say austria is overpowered.. and I actually felt sad for the austrian because if he bought a city state, it would have been a waste because I could easily could have conquered it.. and then i thought.. "that means they got no bonuses right now and are pretty weak" .. and thats what got me thinking.. "austria is not overpowered at all"

Ummm well it was turn 40-50 and you had that kind of army? nobody could have outpaced you and your godlike start then, because by turn freaking 50 thats insane, and there on the enemy doorstep ready to go to?

Ummm well it was turn 40-50 and you had that kind of army? nobody could have outpaced you and your godlike start then, because by turn freaking 50 thats insane, and there on the enemy doorstep ready to go to?

Well it was not an amazing start, its my average start with aztecs, I have created a new strategy, I also had a 12 pop city by then. :) with a library too :D

I was in tech lead, despite china built great library and hanging gardens. Well I was pretty close to china, around 3 tiles from their second city, and about 6 from their capital. I took him out in 12 turns, (3 cities) .. I gave Austria leisure time, I was going to tech to longswords since I was about to start building my national college, but austria threw in the towel before i could.. i then just used normal swordmen and my entire army, since AI dont know how to play.. and took vienna in about 4 turns, since he did built walls.. and had a few units by his city.

spain on the other continent did have a god like start.. his second city had same pop as my capital 25, when we met.. around turn 100-110.. it was a scary sight.. he told me he felt unfair because his start was so amazing.. he ultimate won that game.

point is, Austria had nothing going.. even if they used their unique ability..

Does anyone know - if you attack and take over an Austrian ex city state that they've married into, do you have the option of liberating it so it becomes independent again?

Does anyone know - if you attack and take over an Austrian ex city state that they've married into, do you have the option of liberating it so it becomes independent again?
No. You do not have the option to liberate it. That CS is gone forever.

Austria's UA saved my butt the other day.

I was playing a higher difficulty and got DoW'd simulatenously by 3 civs. I found myself trapped in a two front war without enough units for both.

Then I noticed one of my CS allies was adjacent to Dido, my only threat to the West. By this point the CS had a full carpet of doom but I knew it wasn't going to be effective with it. So I DM'd the CS and took control of it's units. This opened up a legit second front to Dido's south and allowed me to send my main forces to the East while my CS forces harrased her until I had enough units to swing back and finish her off.

It was amazing and super fun...:D

Ive been going back to trying austria out, they arent very good the first 100 turns of the game, but if you let them live long enough(assuming no one rushes them), then they can start having a nice domination power. I usually build 6-7 cities on my own, and then start buying city states. having lots of places where to make units is pretty good during war times :p

this is a great topic that has never been brought up before. :rolleyes:

True. Also, nothing has been done about the issue yet. As such, I say keep 'em coming.

I'm an Austria fan, but I do tend to agree that their UA is a bit over the top all considered. An increasing cost for acquiring city states seems reasonable, seeing as each one is usually a good city (all have happiness resources) and come with units which currently oftentimes outweigh the cost of the money spent for the acquisition. To boot, no diplomatic penalty for doing so.

And, thanks for the thoughtful input Cman ;)

Yeah, my Deity game that I was actually enjoying for once has been completely ruined by Austria; there's basically no city-states left. It's turned Austria into a complete runaway and I really don't even want to finish the game at this point. She's basically buying a city-state a turn now. It doesn't help how the AI has such amazing "luck" with coups.

You are correct, he is noob-killing on multiplayer. I have had some dominating games with Austria vs good opponents.

Top Bottom