My first cultural victory

roscoepfox

Chieftain
I understand this might not be a big deal to the expert players, but I'm kind of a casual player and I play in spurts. I've been a fan of the civ series since civ II but I am not what I would call a very good player....average maybe...

That Being said I'm new to BNW but after one failed attempt I finally won my Cultural victory! I knew I could get a SS victory using my usual methods, but I wanted something new. Here are a few things I was surprised about while doing it

• Strange Bedfellows. Civs I'm used to being at war with or at least enemies, were my friends. I was so tempted to go to war with Alexander. I shared a continent with him, Boudicca and Hiawatha. It was connected to a larger piece with England. Since ancient times Alexander was plucking my nerves. But I had at least enough of a military to make invasion impossible for him. When I met Boudicca she already hated him. I figured I'd let them fight and it gave me time to essentially box him in from settling in my direction. He rattled his saber until the mid 20th century when Boudicca finally took him out.
  • Ok, she is kinda Badass...Boudicca in past games always had a very small three to four city civ max and I remember her being beaten by Gandhi! I was shocked to see her constantly crush Alexander throughout the game. Glad I stayed friends with her.
  • Mean Girl...Elizabeth...does she EVER have any friends? Its like she constantly hates everyone else in my games This was no different. I tried to be friends with her but she denounced me a million times. Hilariously, right after I'd denounce her back everyone else would call me and tell me "Yeah we hate her too!". She never had the forces to really threaten me, but like Alex, I was tempted to just blast her off of the planet. When she did fight Hiawatha she took a city near me, but Boudicca and Hiawatha took it back pretty darn fast.
  • The enemy of my enemy? China, Germany, the Maya and Japan usually backstab me in every game but they remained friendly with me the entire time. By the 1980s I was culturally influential or dominant to them. Polynesia, too. The Maya though dragged it on. It took me to 2032 to finally get them on board.

I didn't go to war once in the entire game. Yes, I wanted to when Alexander was around. I even tried to goad him into once before the Celts destroyed him, just so I could attack one of his cities without a big diplo hit. He didn't....(he really had zero chance of beating me at that point.)...his four cities were without any real resources like iron. He couldn't even field swordsman.

So yes, I was surprised on how the AIs acted. Its not what I'm used to. Morocco was there, but I've been able to get along well with them in a few past games even when everyone else hated me. The fact that China and Germany and Japan even were close allies was a bit of a new thing. Maybe in my next game I should try domination victory. I've really never done that since civ II.

Top Bottom