Civ choice for one-city challenge on higher difficulties?

DGDobrev

Warlord
Hi guys!

I'd really appreciate some input... I am sure many of you already tried the One-city challenge on various difficulties. So did I, and had few problems up to prince. However, I'd like to do it on king, emperor or immortal, and I am sure things will be really tough for a lone city against a big empire, so every advantage will count.

The way I see it, there are a few civs that stand out:
1. Ethiopia, as you will be smaller than the rest all the time, which is a big bonus
2. Babylon, the great scientists will keep you on par with the others
3. Egypt, as you will want to crank out wonders as quickly as possible when no Great Engineer is available.
4. China is probably a good idea, since Chu-Ko-Nu + Great Wall will fend off almost every attack before Dynamite.

Mayans are moot, as you need cities to take advantage of their traits, Spain is probably also not so good, as even with 1000 gold you can't buy all that much, and I would also skip the naval civs, since with a small city you want to have as much space as possible with 1-2 mineable resources if possible.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sweden as well depending on the size of the map/number of civs. The more civs the merrier then.

In theory its possible to get +210% great person production from declarations of friendships alone (22 civ game).

Add in civ boosters and get another +75%.

Iroquois and Aztecs as well.

Korea I second though

Definitely Korea. Maybe Siam for CS.

OCC isn't that hard compared with earlier versions of Civ. I've only played 2 but haven't lost any immortal OCC yet(standard Pangaea standard settings) with random races, my last game was with byzantine and i rolled a pretty average low food captial location had the imo the hardest AI's in the game, Persia & Iroquois still managed to rough out a culture win though it was close.

My favorite is Egypt on emperor.

Arab is great because of the building let's you get gold for luxury resources, and gold is hard to come by in OCC. In a similar way, I imagine the Dutch would be good, but have yet to play them in OCC.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Oh, so there was a similar topic already. I tried to search for it first, but forgot to shorten the OCC and found nothing :)

I played OCC a lot in Civ4 and even though 95% of the time it is a lost battle on higher difficulties, it is one of the best ways to challenge oneself. It's so cool rising up against all odds and still managing to win somehow - and I don't mean "cheating through it" with UN can't vote for myself trick. I suppose I don't need to try the live in a forest as non-pillageable source of food and hammers as well...

Will add Korea to my list of good civs for the challenge. Thanks guys :)

I played my first game with the Dutch a few days ago. Started on a desert river. 6 polders in my capitol alone. It was beautiful. I production-focused it and it still grew fast. Then I hit economics and it was like getting a free hydro plant in my capitol, and I had more money than God. I wasn't doing a OCC but it definitely made me want to try going tall with the Dutch next time. Not sure if they're the best civ to do it with but they seem like a dang good one.

the Dutch are still my favorite new civ so far.

Babylon, Korea, Maya - science/Gp advantage

Egypt, Iroquois - builders, wonder advantage

Siam, Sweden, Greece - diplo advantage/CS whoring

Ethiopia, India, Persia, Aztec - got some good stuff for OCC

Top Bottom