AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

Okay, not sure if bug, but I checked what I could and still came up blank. Settler at 100°23'E, 12°52'S (on a peak and accompanied by one military unit) can't seem to settle certain tiles.

I tried rightclick-dragging the cursor to several nearby tiles, and it seems random which ones it can settle and which ones it can't. E.g. the peak to the southwest appears to allow settling (so the ability to settle peaks granted by the Algebra tech is working), but not the two peaks to the north. Ran through the civics list, doesn't seem to be any indicator that total cities are being limited.

Same for the settler 4 tiles to the northwest, near the coast and under a pile of trebuchets. I noticed it can settle/can't settle the same tiles when I rightclick-drag the cursor, so it's not random. Exited Civ4, restart, load - same result.

Could be something obvious, but I don't see it. Not trying to settle occupied territory, not even my own. The area used to belong to Ashurbanipal(?), but I'd just removed him from the game and liberated a city to the north for Shaka, so there's a swathe of unoccupied land. I'm trying to plunk down the two settlers before Shaka grabs the area.

Build is r685.

Attachments

• 04-11 r685 Commander AD-1596.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
There's certain tiles that can't be settled on unless they're by freshwater, maybe the tile underneath the peak is one such tile?

Hmm, I don't recall that being a requisite though - wasn't it only marsh that prevented settling? Other than that you could settle any tile the settler unit could get into, unless it was in another civ's territory. That settler unit is in prime land there, no marshes or deserts or tundra nearby.

I can't even settle on the ruins one tile north there. Clearly Ashur built a city on that spot, dunno why it's not valid now.

Hmm, I don't recall that being a requisite though - wasn't it only marsh that prevented settling? Other than that you could settle any tile the settler unit could get into, unless it was in another civ's territory. That settler unit is in prime land there, no marshes or deserts or tundra nearby.

I can't even settle on the ruins one tile north there. Clearly Ashur built a city on that spot, dunno why it's not valid now.

IIRC Desert and Ice are preventing settling too.

Are you running Chiefdom still? That's the only other thing I can think of (Disallows you from founding or capturing more than a certain amount)

Nope, not chiefdom - I certainly checked my civics. Chiefdom limits you to 3 cities iirc, we gone long past that :)

Yeah I meant Ice, not Tundra, my bad.

Nothing to do with my situation though - it's smack in the middle of plains/hills with rivers nearby. No reason I can see that it's disabling settling there. Not to mention the ruins of a city I razed to the northeast, can't even resettle on that spot.

Can't be the improvements, drag the cursor south and you'll see several roads/farms/whatever can be settled over.

Oh well, not being able to expand there leaves more room for my buddy Shaka, and it does seem he needs the room more than I do right now. Hopefully I can talk him into a defensive pact later and keep him as a shield against the cluster of wars I've managed to avoid so far. Would be a shame to ditch this map after having struggled to wipe out 3 other neighbours.

It would be nice to know why the settler is being prevented from settling those tiles though.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm an idiot.

I can't settle there because... Shaka's territory was being supressed by Ashurbanipal - the next turn all that apparent "free territory" fell under Shaka's culture.

SOLVED :D

Edit 2:
So apparently when you kill a civ, their territory immediately takes the appearance of free territory. Only the next turn will neighbouring civ's cultures reassert themselves if they were being pushed back previously.

Edit 3:
Hmm, this filling up of Shaka's culture apparently didn't push my units out (I don't have any open border treaties). My units are effectively trapped in his territory. Interesting bug. They can't move either, without triggering that "do you want to declare war?!" popup. This means I'll have to propose open borders with Shaka if I want to move them out, bleh.

Edit 4:
Hmm, merely invoking the Right of Passage treaty automagically kicks my units out from his territory without me having to move them. Nice.

You can just use the save I attached in the original post, it's the same one.

Once you load it, advance to the next turn to let Shaka's culture expand to fill in the free territory. My units will become stranded.

Sorry, I didn't notice the save, I'll try it and I'll let you know. :)

Hi,

I can't see any file named minidump.* in any Civ IV-related folder. Not in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\" folder, nor in "~\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\". In fact, searching all of C:\ for "minidump" reveals only "C:\Windows\Minidump" and one other minidump folder in my home folder somewhere (for a reference manager software, completely unrelated).

What a shame, I probably won't be able to continue that game; I was specifically trying to finally get past the Renaissance in AND, and was almost there!

Edit: I tried opening the Worldbuilder to see what might be going on, on the turn after which it crashed. Crash-to-desktop straight away.

Cheers,
A.

I've tried your save with dll rev685 and I had no problem going on playing, although some units (dragoons, lancers and man_at_arms) were removed. But the fact that you had Dragoons, lancers and so on in your game makes me think that you're not on rev684 because those were introduced in rev686. Then I've tried with the latest revision and I got the CTD. Minidump points to something tied to a unit, probably. So I guess one of the new cavalry unit is responsible for the CTD. Have you changed your revision while playing or have you played the whole game until now with the same revision?

Nope, not chiefdom - I certainly checked my civics. Chiefdom limits you to 3 cities iirc, we gone long past that :)

Yeah I meant Ice, not Tundra, my bad.

Nothing to do with my situation though - it's smack in the middle of plains/hills with rivers nearby. No reason I can see that it's disabling settling there. Not to mention the ruins of a city I razed to the northeast, can't even resettle on that spot.

Can't be the improvements, drag the cursor south and you'll see several roads/farms/whatever can be settled over.

Oh well, not being able to expand there leaves more room for my buddy Shaka, and it does seem he needs the room more than I do right now. Hopefully I can talk him into a defensive pact later and keep him as a shield against the cluster of wars I've managed to avoid so far. Would be a shame to ditch this map after having struggled to wipe out 3 other neighbours.

It would be nice to know why the settler is being prevented from settling those tiles though.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm an idiot.

I can't settle there because... Shaka's territory was being supressed by Ashurbanipal - the next turn all that apparent "free territory" fell under Shaka's culture.

SOLVED :D

Edit 2:
So apparently when you kill a civ, their territory immediately takes the appearance of free territory. Only the next turn will neighbouring civ's cultures reassert themselves if they were being pushed back previously.

Edit 3:
Hmm, this filling up of Shaka's culture apparently didn't push my units out (I don't have any open border treaties). My units are effectively trapped in his territory. Interesting bug. They can't move either, without triggering that "do you want to declare war?!" popup. This means I'll have to propose open borders with Shaka if I want to move them out, bleh.

Edit 4:
Hmm, merely invoking the Right of Passage treaty automagically kicks my units out from his territory without me having to move them. Nice.

I've had a look at your save; how did the zulu get that city if they have no other units left there? Also, how do they get all that territory in just 1 turn? I suppose that was all previous civ's territory? Looks weird to me. Beside the fact that that territory is already 90% french in culture. Mmmmmm. :confused:

Edit: anyway your units get pushed out of the territory after another turn, even if you don't ask for RoP.

I think Tech Diffusion might be a little buggy in the latest SVN. The discount is working fine, but some of my techs have an increased cost. In my savegame, everything works correctly for a few turns, then, some techs dramatically decrease in cost while most dramatically increase.

Guys, tech diffusion IS working.
When you research a tech that's already shared by other civs and you are far behind in techs, you get a big bonus. But if you research another tech which hasn't been discovered yet, you don't get tech diffusion help. Moreover, if you notice a sudden increase in terms of cost for some tech, I believe you're moving from Classical to Medieval Era. Medieval techs cost significantly more than Ancient/Classical techs, and that's because there are fewer techs in that era and starting from Medieval you usually increase your number of cities, have more science and gold producing buildings and you meet other civs in most maps; hence you tech faster. It can be strange at first, but trust me, after a few turns in medieval era, things will get better.

Edit: and tech costs are not modified, it's your research output that changes. ;)

Yeah, I noticed the ramp up in tech costs after the first two eras. Seems ok imo, previously there was little point in trading techs as everyone could easily get them. I usually play with tech trading enabled, but tech bartering disabled.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13180737 said:
I've had a look at your save; how did the zulu get that city if they have no other units left there? Also, how do they get all that territory in just 1 turn? I suppose that was all previous civ's territory? Looks weird to me. Beside the fact that that territory is already 90% french in culture. Mmmmmm. :confused:

Edit: anyway your units get pushed out of the territory after another turn, even if you don't ask for RoP.
Oh, that was Ashur's last city, I took it then gifted it to Shaka for the liberation bonus. I want to see how he fares later in the game as an ally rather than wiping him out. And yeah it was all previously Ashur's territory.

By the way all that expanded territory contracts quite a bit after another turn or two - if you just skip turns you can see it happen.

I too have noticed the bug in tech diffusion. If I'm researching a tech that other civilizations have I get the bonus as expected, but if I try to research a tech that no other civilization has my tech rate drops to one third (on Monarch, if I use flexible difficulty to change difficulty it varies from 1/6 at highest difficulty to about 5/6 at lowest.) It's not due to tech cost increasing but rather I get a penalty to my research produced.

As an example last game in early game I make 9 base tech points, and any tech I research before I meet other civs I research at 9 per turn. But once I've met other civs if I try to research a tech that other civs know, I get 40 or more per turn as expected, but if I try to research a tech no one else knows, I get 3-4 research per turn. If I select no techs, then the research value by the science slider shows 9 like it should. In all of these cases the total amount from the city screens indicate 9 research per turn and so does the Economic screen.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to include enough detail.

Also, great mod, thanks for all your great work.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13182662 said:
Guys, tech diffusion IS working.
When you research a tech that's already shared by other civs and you are far behind in techs, you get a big bonus. But if you research another tech which hasn't been discovered yet, you don't get tech diffusion help. Moreover, if you notice a sudden increase in terms of cost for some tech, I believe you're moving from Classical to Medieval Era. Medieval techs cost significantly more than Ancient/Classical techs, and that's because there are fewer techs in that era and starting from Medieval you usually increase your number of cities, have more science and gold producing buildings and you meet other civs in most maps; hence you tech faster. It can be strange at first, but trust me, after a few turns in medieval era, things will get better.

Edit: and tech costs are not modified, it's your research output that changes. ;)

I agree it is working (as in, I see it modifies my science output in games) but I agree with others that have had some strange experiences. Possibly you are right in that this is as designed. However I would like to take a look at the source code to verify this for myself... Where in the source exactly is tech diffusion?

Edit:

Possibly a way to reduce confusion would be to split up the beakers shown on the top left of the HUD. Maybe show the base science beakers + tech diffusion beakers? Having the base beakers include tech diffusion makes it hard to tell if my science output is good or not, as I can't tell what my base numbers are. To be clear, this is just a visual change, not a mechanic change.

I checked the beaker output from my cities (about 19) and compared it to what was being used. When researching something many people had, it increased, as it should. However, when I tried to research something else, it decrease to 6. I don't know if this is WAD, but the cost definatly increased.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13180631 said:
I've tried your save with dll rev685 and I had no problem going on playing, although some units (dragoons, lancers and man_at_arms) were removed. But the fact that you had Dragoons, lancers and so on in your game makes me think that you're not on rev684 because those were introduced in rev686. Then I've tried with the latest revision and I got the CTD. Minidump points to something tied to a unit, probably. So I guess one of the new cavalry unit is responsible for the CTD. Have you changed your revision while playing or have you played the whole game until now with the same revision?

Hi,

thanks for having a look. Regarding the change of versions... I must have changed versions at some stage I think, because I have units named "Light Cavalry 14 (Port) (Heavy Horseman)", where Port is the name of the city which built the unit.

EDIT: just checked: when I point at the flag with the mouse, I see "A New Dawn build 684 (game saved from build 684)", but above that, in yellow, it says "... beta 2 (rev686)". So when I said 684 I must only have seen the lower, white text. Why are they different?

A.

Hi,

thanks for having a look. Regarding the change of versions... I must have changed versions at some stage I think, because I have units named "Light Cavalry 14 (Port) (Heavy Horseman)", where Port is the name of the city which built the unit.

EDIT: just checked: when I point at the flag with the mouse, I see "A New Dawn build 684 (game saved from build 684)", but above that, in yellow, it says "... beta 2 (rev686)". So when I said 684 I must only have seen the lower, white text. Why are they different?

A.

The yellow one is current revision, the other one isn't accurate and should be the dll version.

Try a recalc with ctrl+shift+t and see if you can play on.

Top Bottom