Largest Map You've Ever Played

Vexalor

Chieftain
Hello, I was curious what the largest map anyone had ever actually played on was in the unmodded game. By "played" I don't necessarily mean actually finishing the game, but rather that the map didn't crash on load, etc. Obviously, I'm speaking of maps larger than huge created as scenarios or made with tools like MapView.

I cant speak for unmodded, but in my mod I have a Colossal map size of 200 x 120, which plays surprisingly well. Iirc it was (close to) the biggest my (very old) computer could handle without map getting distorted or getting glitches. Obviously you need 64 bit OS to play it well.

The largest one I've used is 42x26y (168 x 104 plots). Some of the custom map scripts I use will not load if it gets any bigger :( (they take 15++ minutes to create a map as it is..... don't really want to wait 1 hour every time I want to regen. a map...)

In Civ4, just a standard Huge map. I can never remember map sizes in Civ4, but it's somewhere in the general range of what ThorHammerz mentioned. MAFs are the main reason I never successfully played larger maps. By the time I got a 64-bit OS, playing giant Civ4 maps had fallen on my list of life priorities, so Huge is still the biggest I've played.

In Civ3, I played a number of Vanilla Huge maps (180x180/2 = 16200 tiles). I also have one in-progress at 220x220/2 (24200 tiles). Much larger than that, and you hit the 512-city limit in Civ3. Vanilla Huge with 31 civs can take absolutely forever for AI turns on a late-2002-era Pentium 4, but it's stable with no MAFs, which was good enough for me.

Top Bottom