The importance of barbarians

The Mass Leader

The One and Only
:viking:
I just realized something that may be new to a lot of people: The barbarians can be very useful when you make a scenario!

I just used a huge horde of barbarians to put some balance in a scenario: I builded 3 empires that were almost power-equal, but I left their cities in the center of the map without any army, and a lot of barbarians there. Just as the game begins, the barbarians take all those towns and it throws the 3 nations on a rush to retake those cities.

I also used barbarians to populate American continent on a Colonization-like scenario. The european empires were builded with the standard nations. Then, i builded many french cities in America, and gave them to barbarians to take (in a single turn, they took all of them). Done. The europeans had no mercy when they arrived there and I could hide the Americas map from them. It simulated better the great navigations.

I also used barbarians on a game about the Rags Revolution in Brazil (1835-1845). There was the Brazilian Empire Army, the Independent Republic of South's Revolutionary Army, the Latin Neighbor Nations army, and a bunch of barbarian troops with 2 cities (taken from the other players). The barbarians were there to simulate the bandit brigades that wandered in southern Brazil by that time.

If anyone is going to make a scenario, try using barbarians to make a weak nation that does not negotiates with the others and does not enters any alliance. Or just to leave some cities to be takes by the player and AI during the game.

I agree barbarians can do much with a scenario. And if you use CivCity you don't need to let the barbarians capture cities on the first turn. You can make them founder of the cities etc. You should get the program and see for yourself. You can find it here:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2utility.shtml

scroll down to CivCity v1.3

I used the Barbarians to represent the warlords in the Chinese Civil War in my Nippon scenario. That way they're an incoherent state of outlaws that falls to the outside pressure of it's neighbours.

I have just started to make 2 new scenarios.

One is located in South America of today. There are te countries, and there are 3 barbarian cities: One in Colombia (to represent the guerilla), one in Rio de janeiro, Brazil (to represent the city which control was taken by organized crime), and another one in Panama (sorry, Panamanians, but the country is too small for me to waste a civilization on it - plus, it´s not in south america, but in central america - I needed to put a northern limit to the map).

The other scenario is in the future. The world is polluted, at the edge of a global warming. After the 3rd world war, there are places where life is a paradise and there are places where the concept of modern age exists only in the weapons, because state has gone back to anarchy and there is no organized government. To represent those lost places, I used barbarians. Why not?

That´s it.

Top Bottom