playing civnet on "new" computer?!?!

jakobg

Chieftain
hey guys!

for a hell of years ago i played civnet, and i loved it.
today i found the cd and i got so excited about it, and i tried to play in on my "new" computer, which has windows 7.

but it didnt work, says i dont have winG.dll and it needs wing library to work. i tried download it but i must have done somthing wrong, because it doesnt work :(

please help me on this one, it would make me soooo happy!

happy new year everyone.:king:

/Jakobg

Hey, I haven't played civnet before, but having used many different programs over the years I can tell you that older programs don't work on windows 7. Basically what you need is to emulate an older system (I normally use windows 98). I use virtual box which is an emulator for windows that you can use to emulate an older operating system. Once you download that, get a copy of windows 98 and install it in the virtual environment. You might be able to find a premade installation of windows 98 for virtual box online, but not sure.

hey, thanks for the fast answer!

i have downloaded virtualbox, but i cant find a copy of windows 98, anyone knows where i can find it?!?

/Jakobg

You could always just buy it... There is one on ebay for $20. Just make sure it's a full version one instead of an upgrade.

The options are the same as for CivWin, it's a 16 bit program which can only run on versions of Windows up to XP. You have 4 options to work around this on a modern PC

-Install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox
-Use virtualisation software such as VirtualBox set up to run Windows XP
-Use a 90s PC emulator such as PCEm
-Use the WineVDM wrapper

I favour WineVDM as it's the only solution which doesn't require you to seek out an old copy of Windows and do a whole bunch of setup. I don't know how stable it is with CivNet but it works very nicely with CivWin. Good luck!

An additional curiosity, I'm intrigued by the guy in this thread who says there's a separate windows 95 specific version of CivNet included in a specific collection. My boxed copy's system requirements say Win 3.1/95 is supported and there are a few patches floating around, but this makes it sound like something a bit more than that. It'd be great if this mystery version turned out to be 32 bit. I doubt it very much, but you never know! Has anyone ever heard of this 'Civilizations Collection'?

Top Bottom