TSG118 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG118 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Describe any significant milestones in the first 100 turns - land expansion, key techs, policies, wonders or wars?
- Did you settle any cities on a new continent? If so, provide some relevant details.
- Has the map type affected your basic Diplomatic strategies combined with Indonesia's UA?

Funny map. I went liberty with intention to have 2/3 cities on starting island and 3 more on other islands. Now I'm stuck in turn 98 with 2 city NC and not many good spots to settle. Even with 3 triremes it took forever to amass enough gold for library in 2nd city and that damned city state to the east didn't produce worker until turn 40+ :) At least I found the capital on the hill west of fish, which proved to be a good choice. And 30 faith from ruin around turn 80 was enough for an oral tradition parthenon that got my cpt from 8 to 15 :)

Settled capital on hill next to river. Went liberty and settled 3 cities on different islands, and one next to Gibraltar. Got faith from natural wonders pantheon, which turned out to be a weak choice - 2 shrines would have done the same, I should have gotten culture from jungles or from plantations. But hey, I got myself a nice religion anyways: Tithe & +2 happiness from gardens :)

2 of my overseas cities are growing nicely, one to the south near India, and one on the eastern islands. I settled another one on the citrus on a tiny western island, however this turned out to eliminate the citrus as it gets replaced by our unique lux :( So I just lost 4 happiness permanently.

I'm liking the map, water maps are fun especially if you can get almost anywhere pre-astro. Looks like it will be a peaceful game, Rome is weakest civ of all, India is India and I don't have close borders with anyone else. I'd like to test those Kris swordsmen but I suppose it won't contribute to a fast win, so maybe in a replay :)

I tried Monthar's suggestion to settle on the Cocoa to the west. I'm leading in Science. Once I get universities the jungle will be an advantage. I took Honor, just the opener, because with barbarian culture it pays for itself. Next I'm working through Liberty because I plan many settlements.

With so few hammers it's been very slow. I bought two tiles to get to the nearest hill and that meant I got the Great Library on turn 65, fifteen later than usual.

Great Lighthouse was gone by then, even though I'm prioritizing the naval techs. I have to deal with India who's put a city on the south coast of my island. My happiness is right on zero so I'll need to wait for my next settlement on the Citrus island to the southwest.

Fortunately India has even less military than I do. I've got to start arming because Rome and Carthage are doing the full Honor tree. They're going to need someone to attack, so that should mean a challenging middle game.

Top Bottom