What do you with workers when the work seems done?

gregorsamsa

Chieftain
The land is all maxed out, the tiles are all improved, the workers are marked as sleep. What do you do with them at this point? Keep them in around in case? Destroy them?

Abandon the game.

Really, now that I think of, usually the high point of boredom for me comes about at that point. :/

Usually I wait until Railroad to delete the workers, but if you are past that I would delete them. I normally keep 1-2 of them in case of a war or if I discover uranium in my territory.

Usually I wait until Railroad to delete the workers, but if you are past that I would delete them. I normally keep 1-2 of them in case of a war or if I discover uranium in my territory.

I also do this. Between border expansions (where a new tile emerges that needs to be improved) or wars, there is almost always a tile, somewhere, that needs to be worked on. Building a mine on new uranium is a late-game need. Properly improving the terrain around a newly-conquered city is another, and repairing pillaged improvements also sometimes happens.

I tend to automate them once my borders grow too big and I don't have that many workers (I tend to play with 3-4 my own workers)

My workers get disbanded when Pax Romana has been achieved. Otherwise, they will be headed for colonizes or newly conquered lands to change the hexes to my needs.

If uranium pops up, I queue a new worker to mine it. Its only takes 1 turn.

I automate them too when I get bored. There's usually some land from an old war, and then new lands to be had when I get bored, and need someone to use my new doomsday devices on >:D

spam forts on tiles that cannot be worked by city, or on desert/tundra tiles that i don't want to work.

Generally, there is always work that needs to be done, but I like playing wide empires, on huge maps. If I can't see any use for them, I station one in each city, for quick access.

Have the workers go to sleep. The workers can become useful later especially if the ai nukes your cities and you need to scrub all the fallout.

Not enough info given in OP to state exactly.

To answer it we need to know:

1. How many cities are in your empire? (The more you have; the more workers you still need in reserve)
2. How many workers do you currently have? (The more you have; the more likely it is that you can get away with downsizing some of them)
3. Do you have the railroad tech? (If you don't have this; there is a significant amount of work to be done later)
4. What techs revealing strategic resources are you still missing? (The more missing techs you have, the more likely it is that you need more than 1 worker to exploit the new ones)
5. Do you share a land border with the AI? (If you have a land border; the AI might be able to pillage some of your tiles)

Not enough info given in OP to state exactly.

To answer it we need to know:

1. How many cities are in your empire? (The more you have; the more workers you still need in reserve)
2. How many workers do you currently have? (The more you have; the more likely it is that you can get away with downsizing some of them)
3. Do you have the railroad tech? (If you don't have this; there is a significant amount of work to be done later)
4. What techs revealing strategic resources are you still missing? (The more missing techs you have, the more likely it is that you need more than 1 worker to exploit the new ones)
5. Do you share a land border with the AI? (If you have a land border; the AI might be able to pillage some of your tiles)

I think gregorsamsa just wanted to know in general what you do with the leftover workers, and not really for a specific game.

I normally have about five or so around by the time I get my railroads up. Once my railroads are up, I have no more need for workers except for things like newly uncovered resources, so I'll delete all but one and make him sleep in the capital.

I usually play tall, so with luck I end up with my original worker, the free citizenship worker, and often two from the pyramids. That's one for each city and I just sit on them until railroads. In the late game, there tends to be some combat spurred by ideological conflict, so I can then use them to improve my conquered territories.

Take the moment to realize that CIV has over a hundred units and unique units, but only ONE worker. Then, let it sink in to think about all the various worker-esqe units they should've added; like slaves, indentured servants, teamsters, etc.

For a tall empire, delete some, until you have fewer than your number of cities. Maybe even half.

For a wide empire, have them join your army and use them as meat shields. They're great for baiting and controlling enemy movement.

Take the moment to realize that CIV has over a hundred units and unique units, but only ONE worker. Then, let it sink in to think about all the various worker-esqe units they should've added; like slaves, indentured servants, teamsters, etc.

Well technically work boats are workers too.

But it's always been like that (I think), except the Indian UU in Civ4 was a worker with an extra movement point.

I think gregorsamsa just wanted to know in general what you do with the leftover workers, and not really for a specific game.

Some are kept and others disbanded at that point in every game; counts of each depend upon the factors I listed on my first post.

Top Bottom