Reinstalling Win7 on a Dell

truckingpete

On a Stark Trek
I would like to add a mSATA SSD to my computer. I then would like to reinstall Windows 7 on the SSD, and then use my current drive just for file storage, games, and other stuff similar that. My Dell XPS 8700 did NOT come with a Windows installation disk.

Ok, no problem...I thought. I then went to Microsoft's Software Recovery website and typed in my key to download the .iso file. And then I get this message:

"The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

Then I went to researching. My Windows is an OEM. My warranty is out with Dell so I cannot get a disk from them either. I chatted online with support from Dell, and they said then can send me an USB for $39.99. The guy I chatted to didn't really seem to know what he was talking about. My next attempt is call Dell on the phone since some people said on other sites they had luck when talking to someone on the phone to get them a copy sent to them.

Sure, I can do a system recovery when reinstalling Windows, but can I reinstall it on an SSD? I could also clone the drive, but I would like a fresh reinstall...if I can get it that is...

Is there anything else that I can do to install Windows on an SSD? I have the Dell DataSafe backup on a flash drive....but would that work?

I'm not too keen on computers, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

When you start the system recovery from your harddrive, there should be somewhere the option to create either a bootable DVD or USB thumb drive with Windows on it.
It should be documented in your manual, otherwise you have to google the exact procedure.

Onother option might be finding someone who has a Windows disk that will work with your key, and install from that one. I suspect any Windows 7 x64 professional disk will do.

Onother option might be finding someone who has a Windows disk that will work with your key, and install from that one. I suspect any Windows 7 x64 professional disk will do.
Don't think so. Think it has to be a Dell specific disk. They are all over EBay, just have to make sure to get the right one.

I'm surprised Dell won't send a disk, although they would charge something for it. $39.99 seems a little unreasonable though. :hmm:

Don't think so. Think it has to be a Dell specific disk. They are all over EBay, just have to make sure to get the right one.

I''m fairly sure that any of those OEM Windows 7 installation disks are basically normal Microsoft Windows installation disks. They will work with any key, as long as it's the same Windows version, i.e. you need a x64 Pro disk for a x64 Pro key.
From a licensing point of view I think you are even allowed to use a "lesser" version with a "higher" license, e.g. using a "home" installation with an "ultimate" license, but I'm note sure that the key will work in that case.

Windows recovery disks on the other hands are manufacturer and/or model specific of course.

I'm surprised Dell won't send a disk, although they would charge something for it. $39.99 seems a little unreasonable though. :hmm:

You know, I never thought of looking on eBay! It seems to be a common problems since they sell a lot from what it looks like on eBay.

I will have to do a little more research. I don't understand why Dell won't let me get one for free since I spend money on a computer. Granted, Windows 7 is going out of style since 8.1 and now 10 is coming out. But come on...

Next time...I'm building my own computer.

EDIT: How legit do you think the eBay discs are? They seem to get good reviews. I just don't want to go through all the work of deleting everything, and then I can't even install Windows 7.

EDIT: How legit do you think the eBay discs are? They seem to get good reviews. I just don't want to go through all the work of deleting everything, and then I can't even install Windows 7.
You could remove the current hard drive, add the new SSD and try loading the operating system. If you fail, you can always put the old one back in as it is and use it until you find another solution.

You could remove the current hard drive, add the new SSD and try loading the operating system. If you fail, you can always put the old one back in as it is and use it until you find another solution.

True! I will have to give that a try. Hopefully everything goes smoothly once I get the Dell disk.

I've done clean OS reinstalls on new hard drives many times on Dells. You do need the correct Dell OEM Windows install CD, but once you've got that, it's a walk in the park.

You might need to disable the UEFI/secure-boot in CMOS, that's an issue I didn't have with older PCs and laptops.

I've done clean OS reinstalls on new hard drives many times on Dells. You do need the correct Dell OEM Windows install CD, but once you've got that, it's a walk in the park.

You might need to disable the UEFI/secure-boot in CMOS, that's an issue I didn't have with older PCs and laptops.

I got one of those discs from eBay. I didn't get a SSD just yet. I will probably get that later this month. I found out my town has a Dell dealership and he has the CDs, but I would need to bring my desktop in so he can verify the code. I have a backup plan just in case things head south!

I will let you know how things go once I get my SSD!

Top Bottom