AI War declaring

SpitfireMI

Chieftain
I was in a game where I was Elizabeth. Everything was going well. I had just got my first red-coats. Then suddenly, Wang Kong, (My enemy) was vassalised by Joao 2 (my friend). They were both fighting Shaka (my other friend). To add to the chaos, Alexander attacked both sides! (Alexander doesn't like me, I am neutral about him) Then thinking "What the heck! I'm the biggest country I have a conquered Hammamuribi and Ghandi as vassals, I have advanced technology. What could possibly go wrong?" I aided Shaka (because Joao II had recently dropped Christianity) and decided to kill greece. (I was going to invade anyway)

My question is, why did that all suddenly happen in one turn? Why 1806? Joao had bugun a Golden age, but that seems a ridiculous thing to war on. Funny, They had all been peaceful. (Except for Wang Kong, he attacked Shaka)

It sounds like Alexander may have been hired by either Shaka or Joao to join the war. That wouldn't cause him to attack both sides though ... As for the war between Shaka and Joao -- did Wang become a vassal before any war was declared?

Without seeing your game conditions when this happened, it is hard to say but here is a weird but possible scenario:

1. Alexander has defense treaties with both Shaka and Joao
2. Wang, declares war with Shaka, then peace vassals to Joao
3. Because Wang, Joao's vassal, is at war with Shaka, Joaoa autodeclares on Shaka
4. Because Wang, with whom he is at war, is Joao's vassal, Shaka autodeclares on Joao
5. Because he has a defense treaty with Shaka, Alex autodeclares on Joao
6. Because he has a defense treaty with Joao, Alex autodeclares on Shaka

I have never seen this sequence happen but I can't think of anything else to give this result. Of course it has to happen all on one turn. I can't think of any other way that Alex could end up at war with both, since AIs don't normally choose to declare on anyone once they are already at war and they also never choose to declare on anyone with whom they are active war allies. So, that only leaves autodeclarations.

My idea may be no good, but perhaps someone who has looked into the code will either verify that it could happen or say it cannot.

Except that before Wang can PV to Joao, Alexander would declare on Wang, cancelling the DP. So if Joao accepts the PV, Shaka and Alexander would declare on Joao (as they're both at war with Wang.) But Alexander would be a peace with Shaka.

DPs disappear the instant either signatory goes to war. (If one has had war declared on it, the other will declare war in retaliation.)

Except that before Wang can PV to Joao, Alexander would declare on Wang, cancelling the DP. So if Joao accepts the PV, Shaka and Alexander would declare on Joao (as they're both at war with Wang.) But Alexander would be a peace with Shaka.

DPs disappear the instant either signatory goes to war. (If one has had war declared on it, the other will declare war in retaliation.)

What are DP and PV?

Maybe Alexander just rage quit by attacking both sides. I have seen an AI attack foolishly before and there wasn't really a chance that AI could take anything at that time. It seems to me here that Alexander just busted a rage quit. The other 2 must've been way more advanced in their alliance.

Top Bottom