Sid Meiers Civilization 6 announced

Noriad2

Emperor
Not directly C2C related but probably of interest to the readers here nonetheless:

Sid Meiers Civilization 6 announced on

http://www.civilization.com/

However, the feature list on

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/games/civilization-vi/

mentions

"COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units."

In other words, they continue along the lines of Civ 5 instead of going back to Civ 4 and continue from there. Which made me instantly lose interest in Civ 6.

If its even close to Civ V, i will never ever use it, much less buy it, and the modding in Civ V is completely CRAP!!!

Dumbing down cilivization part X
And this is the same company which created SMAC :/

It seems at some point all great games start to decline. This was the case of Heroes of Might and Magic, this was the case of Gothic, it seems this is the case of Civ. I hope The Elder Scrolls will be an exception...

However, it may mean that there is a brillant future for Civ IV!

S.

I just hope that someday Civ4 comes to GOG. That could be the point when a 64bit-exe is created, and I certainly would buy the game again in that case.

Dumbing down cilivization part X
And this is the same company which created SMAC :/

Same company but different people unfortunatelly. Those who made Civ4 are doing still great job, like Soren Johnson with his Offworld Trading Company.

At least it has a few interesting features like the Active Research. But i probably wait at least until it's patched and got it's Dlc before trying it out.

Looks like typical post-2005 bloom/cartoony/Uncanny Valley stuff. I imagine it will be buggy as hell at release, and there'll be a big critic-general public score gap, for the usual reasons. Even leaving aside my complaints with 99%+ of games released in what I personally think is a dark age of PC gaming, I'm amazed at how readily people accept the DLC paradigm.

I mean, from the late 90s to the mid 2000s (the golden and silver ages of PC gaming, IMO), you could buy an expansion pack for half the price with 50% of the content, and that's if they didn't throw in the original game with it (I especially liked Relic's model of allowing players limited access to factions). These days, you have a DLC that's 5-15% of the price, with 0.001-5.0% of the content. The only group that doesn't seem to be doing this (or at least to the same degree) is Blizzard and Relic.

I don't think the idea of DLC is inherently bad (good examples being upgrade tier packs, unlocking armies but not campaigns or vice versa, and Paradox's stuff for Crusader Kings II), but the way cosmetic nonsense, should-have-been-in-the-game-already stuff (as many have pointed out) and half-baked nonsense is shoveled out is appalling. I foresee a second great crash in the industry in a few years, though hopefully this doesn't hurt independent gaming, as they seem to be doing a minor attempt at reviving golden age management sims, both in mechanics and spirit.

Getting back on topic, am I the only one who finds both one-unit-per-tile and wonders-take-up-a-tile stupid for reasons of realism? I mean, even on the largest maps, a tile is going to be tens of thousands of square kilometres, which is far, far greater than the space occupied by every person on Earth combined, let alone a mere army or anything smaller than that. Similarly, even the Pyramids aren't the size of city districts (and for that matter, city districts aren't that size either; IMHO it makes more sense to view cities that aren't on maps that would make most people's computers look like the aftermath of a raid organized by psychopathic nuke wielding Mongolians as regions or countries rather than cities proper)

I mean, I won't begrudge you if you prefer it for gameplay reasons, but arguing it's more realistic is just plainly absurd.

Frankly, with all this mod brings us, all I want is a 64 bit exe and, though this is a lot, lot lower in priority, different ways of researching (i.e. using :culture: to research art movements) and multiple production (in the sense of directing :hammers: to multiple goals at once)

I think Civ5 brings tons new civfanatics to the community. Gamers which will defend any comercial absurd which develop Firaxis. I asked some guys why people dont like play civ with mods and they didn't know why. Some people tell that firaxis created perfect game and mods just destroy this perfect product. These same guys easily bought all DLCs and addons to CiV. Total absurd.

Current gaming community its toxic. From senseless haters to total fanatics. Best way to see this phenomen is in Metacritic reviews.

Also big brands sells great even if product is mediocre at best. Fallout 4 sells much better then Witcher 3 or Pillars of Etternity for example.

I'll probably give it a shot but only once all the expansions are out. I'm slightly more optimistic at it's final outcome (all patches/xpacks released) as Civ has some weird Star Trek movie release vibe where all the evens are superior to the odds. At least for me, I found Civ 2 and 4 better than 3 and 5.

Getting back on topic, am I the only one who finds both one-unit-per-tile and wonders-take-up-a-tile stupid for reasons of realism?
No... you are NOT alone. This is exactly what I find completely unacceptable with the direction they've taken things. To the point I can't imagine even enjoying Civ5 or the pending sequel. Absolutely impossible to feel immersion with such a system.

I've played Crusader Kings II for some time now and the most disappointing development has been mandatory patches. (Anyone here familiar with how the mandatory update that came with the Conclave DLC - and patches your game even if you choose not do buy Conclave - wrecked the traits system and made a conquest-oriented gameplay counterproductive?) What killed the golden age of the PC game for me was movement from a game that existed solely on your PC to one that has to be launched from a client such as Steam or Origin. Recently I've gone back to Civ4 because I can run 2 games at the same time on 2 different computers and do a multiplayer LAN game with one of my children. Not something I can ever do with CKII; I'd have to buy another copy to try that, because it makes me input a new security code every time I log in to the client from a different computer, and kicks my sons off of Subnautica in the other room whenever I try to start up CKII on my laptop. Bah!

I'm hoping that C2C is more multiplayer friendly someday. Last time we tried a LAN game using it, the errors made it unplayable. I can't find any other mod that satisfies my need for complexity, but for now we're using vanilla BtS for LAN multiplayer for the sake of stability.

I've played Crusader Kings II for some time now and the most disappointing development has been mandatory patches. (Anyone here familiar with how the mandatory update that came with the Conclave DLC - and patches your game even if you choose not do buy Conclave - wrecked the traits system and made a conquest-oriented gameplay counterproductive?)

This is not a CK II forum but many Paradox games allow you to go back to earlier versions. Open your Steam Library -> rightclick your game -> properties -> betas.

This is not a CK II forum but many Paradox games allow you to go back to earlier versions. Open your Steam Library -> rightclick your game -> properties -> betas.

Yes, that was the only way I played for several months. But even with the game set back to an earlier version, the mods I was using - the ones that affect traits - were broken in really bizarre ways for awhile. Currently they are mostly fixed, but a few features have never worked since that update.

Anyway, back to the topic, I agree that the 1-unit per tile and wonders on tiles were the most horrific features of Civ5. I can't buy anything in the franchise that continues that line of madness.

It seems it will get AI multi-threading and it was confirmed that it will be 64bit. That makes it alot more interesting to me. They said the modding support will be improved as well but i'am curious what that means besides the possibility to create multi player mods again.

One game play feature that i really like is the second techtree. It gives culture more importance and reduces the research race because the techs called civics will be unlocked by culture.

One game play feature that i really like is the second techtree. It gives culture more importance and reduces the research race because the techs called civics will be unlocked by culture.

I think there are already mods in BtS that have multiple "tech" trees based on different "research" yields. I would think it possible to do so for culture.

This is disappointing. I didn't like Civ 5 at all. I was hoping they would have learned their lesson and changed CIv 6 up. :(

It seems it will get AI multi-threading and it was confirmed that it will be 64bit. That makes it alot more interesting to me. They said the modding support will be improved as well but i'am curious what that means besides the possibility to create multi player mods again.

Those would all be nice features. But trying to restructure things to allow multiple units per tile when the AI is setup for the basis they'll be starting with would be frustrating.

We've discussed multiple tech trees before, particularly with that concept of having culture become a form of research for some developments. I wonder if they got the idea when it was floated here or if it started elsewhere. Either way it's been seriously considered as a potential project. So that IS pretty cool.

Top Bottom