Civilization 5 : Beyond the Earth

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
Ok, cheesy title, I know, but I do think there's stuff for a 3rd and final expansion pack.

Gods and Kings focused on the early game, Brave New World focuses on the mid game. Beyond the Earth focuses on the late game.

New Science Victory - Expanding the Science Victory to more parts, and bit like BtS with reaching Alpha Centauri as opposed to just launching the space.

New Spy Options - Expanding on the current options that spies possess, bringing some back from Civ 3 : Conquests (which had a lot of options, such as sabotage, propganada, etc.)

Diplomats - As opposed to being either a Spy or Diplomat, split these into seperate group, with Diplomats being land units that you can built for every Embassy you have, and sending them to the capital of other people's land (or, just find a way to make them be built as opposed to just granted randomly with embassies)

Colonization - Colonizers are new units that can settle lands overseas (Conquistadors now replace Colonizers, these new colonies are not just ordinary cities but are considered "colonies" (their borders use the City State border style of alternating colours). Although you can control them City States have spereate happiness meter that if not met can cause it to rebel against you and cause a civil war, and even a full-scale war, Independece does exist, but instead of it becoming a full on civilization, it becomes a minor City-State nation, it can expand, but not likely. Colonies on the same continent cannot "sprawl" and new cities must be touch at least a single tile of the colonie's territory, if that's not possible, then it cannot be more than the minimum distance. Conquistadors, when settled, the city is automatically a follower of the state religion (if you have one). Your first colony is always named New [Capital] (i.e New Madrid, New Washington, New Marrakech, New Warsaw etc.). All subsequent colony cities use names from the bottom of your city list

Reason for the odd system of colony names is that no all of the civs have colonies overseas, which would cause problems.

9 New Civilizations
- Inuit
- Hitties
- Sumer
- Vietnam
- Canada/Australia/Gran Colombo (a modern Colony)
- Khmer
- Kongo
- Israel

7 New World Wonders
- Versailles
- Empire State Building
- Panama Canal
- Hoover Dam
- Golden Gate Bridge
- ???
- ???

New Natural Wonders
- Grand Canyon
- Mt. Everest
- Mt. Rushmore

2 New Scenarios
- The Cold War - A scenario.. about Cold War.. something that I feel should've been in.. why not make a tension-based game? Maybe locked in Peace (so no war can be declared)
- Alpha Centauri - A futuristic scenario, instead of it occuring on a planet, the game revolves around a crowded solar system, majority of the "land" is "space" (which is pretty much just coast). and the settable land are 1 tiled "planets" that have resources on them.

And that's where my ideas run out.. :p I know it's not best, but I do think there's stuff for a 3rd expansion pack.

Feel free to suggest stuff.. or comment on existing stuff.

Nice ideas. I'd suggest keeping the Conquestidor as the Spanish UU, and the Colonialist would be a settler-type unit available at Astronomy. As the Colonialist would not be able to defend itself, Spain would have a colonial advantage. I'd suggest a Great Explorer/Explorer unit, just to help with Colonialising. Also, on the colony naming; I'd prefere for them to be named after real colonies, irrespective of the civilization. The city-list cycle just doesn't appeal to me. For another wonder, I would suggest the Bélem Tower, as that was the last thing that Portugese explorers would see before setting off to the new world, though I don't know if it's in the same league as a lot of the other wonders. I'd also have nine civilizations, as it's a lot more typical for an expansion pack.(although it would be nice to have 50 civilizations as a more round number)

I like your ideas
I thought I'd include secret military bases, and each civilization que Could have just one, and the other civilizations would not know of Their existence, not even for espionage, another civilization would only know if invades Their civilization.

For new civilizations I would like to see:
Vietnam
Sumer
Khmer
Hungary or Belgium
Canada
Australia, Gran Colombia or Argentina
Olmec
Hitties or Kongo

For new wonders:
Empire State Building
Leshan Giant Buddha
Sphinx
St. Peter's Basilica
Temple of Solomon
Pyramid of the Sun
Westminster Abbey

New cities-states:
Havana
Dubai
Kuwait city
Lagos
Wellington
Taipei
Macau
Luxembourg City
Luanda

I would like to see some changes in civilizations:
Spain (adapted to the system of colony)
Maya (the pyramids for to improvements)
Denmark (Viking Furia more personalized)

Civilizations:
- Bulgaria/Romania/Kiev
- Hittites/Sassanids
- Inuit
- Israel/Tibet
- Khmer/Burma
- Kongo/Ghana/Benin
- Sioux
- Sumer/Elam
- Vietnam

Wonders:
- Delta Works
- Empire State Building
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Hoover Dam
- Panama Canal
- Sphinx
- Three Gorges Dam

Natural Wonders:
- Angel Falls
- Grand Canyon
- Lake Baikal
- Mt. Everest
- Mt. Rushmore

City-States:
- Avdat
- Belize City
- Chan Chan
- Havana
- Harare
- Lagos
- Lima
- Matāʻutu
- Ordu-Baliq
- Toronto
- Vientiane

I have updated the list :)

I added Kongo as the only new African Civ, I honestly don't know if there's more that people want. Olmec would be a good candidate. I don't know much about civilizations. I want some more World Wonders that would have a theme of Cold War, Space Related, or Colony Related.

We the people, lack in the knowledge of the Olmecs. Just think: Name all the cities that belongs to the Olmecs

Potonchan
Izapa
Chilapa
Tapijulapa
Pichucalco
Chalcatizingo
Teopantecuanitlan
Xochipala
Juxtlahuaca
Tlatilco
Tabaxco
La Venta
San Lorenzo
Potrero Nuevo
Loma Del Zapote
Tres Zapotes
Las Limas

Good ideas, but why Mt. Rushmore is a natural wonder?

Don't you guys think having both Vietnam AND Khmer will be a bit much at the same time?
- Belize City
Have you ever been to Belize City? :mischief: I would suggest another meso-American capital like Guatemala City or Mexico City instead.

No offense but Beyond the Earth needs a more original name. (BTS, BTE, get it) Like Civ 5: Into the future, or something.

No offense but Beyond the Earth needs a more original name. (BTS, BTE, get it) Like Civ 5: Into the future, or something.

I know it's a cheesy name, Into the Future wouldn't make much sense seeing as only the "scenario" happens there.

Regarding Mt. Rushmore I know it's not ideal, but as I thought about it, we already have King Solomon's Mines AND El Dorado...

Honestly the idea of colonization as a specific mechanic feels odd because...well, sending a settler to another continent functionally is colonization. As is sending a settler anywhere. The process of colonization as we know it by the Europeans is essentially the same as any other nation did by sending people out into the frontier to claim land with small towns, the only difference being they were across oceans. The main thing that made overseas colonies different was the increased logistical cost associated with distance and...that's already a mechanic by ways of how much longer it takes you to effectively supply overseas cities with workers and defense forces.

The idea of colonies in revolt is not something exclusive to them being overseas either - revolutions have taken place in many places. More functional revolutions would be a good idea: a good idea I thought was that the farther away a city is from territory connected to your capital, the faster it has the potential to start a revolution via unhappiness. Normally rebels in the form of barbarians appear at...10 unhappiness, right? Well a city somewhat farther away would get those at 9 unhappiness, and one on the opposite end of the world would be in revolt even if you're only at 0. And maybe make those rebels more effective at actually taking cities, instead of just coming in, pillaging, and eventually getting shot to death. Honestly I wish barbarians would actually try to attack cities with intent to take it instead of just intentionally trying to be as pointless as possible.

If there is anything I think a new expansion should focus on, it is science, specifically the expansion of it throughout the game, not just early or late, and making it more focused on active undertakings rather than passive yields. Researching techs should be based on actions, and the regular Science yield being more of a processing cost. As an example, to research Horseback Riding, there are several conditions of which you must fulfill one: produce Chariot Archers, defeat Mounted units, work a certain amount of Horse tiles or even pillage Horse pastures, and so on and so on. Once you do that, there is a certain "research" time period in which your Science is applied to study and experiment with newfound knowledge, however, until you actually undertake those actions, your passive Science is going to do very little. If you have particular opportunities available, once you fulfill one of those conditions, fulfilling another acts as a small technology boost, so if you're in the midst of processing Horseback Riding unlocked by pillaging Horses, if you then produce a Chariot Archer it will drastically reduce the time period it takes. The tech tree should generally be expanded, with a base 3 tech tiers per era, because honestly some techs are misplaced and come too late (Railroad should be a mid-Industrial tech, and Flight maybe a late one, and Horseback Riding should come in the later Ancient instead of Classical for my plan of making Horsemen the base Ancient mounted unit and Cataphracts the base Classical), and a lot are getting cluttered (Guilds and Theology, I'm looking at you). As a good guideline, most techs should give two or three bonuses, with four being rare and five maybe being limited to techs with passive bonuses needing to be applied across the board for UIs. There's the matter of those abandoned techs, like Mass Media and Telegraph, that could certainly do with being brought back for things they unlock, and with a revamped Science system that would involve Researchers and Outposts and other units meant for scientific quests, there should be plenty of room for them.

And if there were city-states I'd choose to add, a few that come to mind are Riyadh, Wellington, Havana, Baku, Tallinn, Andorra la Vella, Luxemburg City, Vaduz, San Marino, Dubai, Caracas, Lagos, Johannesburg, Khartoum, and so on and so on.

Have you ever been to Belize City? :mischief: I would suggest another meso-American capital like Guatemala City or Mexico City instead.

No. What's wrong with it? Disasters? Florida has more disasters than Belize City.

Top Bottom