Is it worth settling this far from my capital?

5 wheat, 2 stone, but it's quite a ways away from my capital. The only other civ I've met is Dido, but I haven't scouted her yet. (On Immortal dif, btw). Would it be worth it to settle here even if it's so far from my capital?

It is looking good but if you haven't met many players yet I would try to build a city in between first and then settle there

If only you were the Dutch...

you forgot to mention the copper too...

I'd go for it. Not sure if its the end of the continent or not, but if you're sharing it with an AI, you should probably head there sooner than later.

Given that the rest of the map is surrounded by water, go for it. Won't get any gold from city connection for a long time, but you got a CS near for a naval trade route which will be very easy to protect.

Dang it...looks like Carthage settled it first. Will have to take her out, I guess.

I would go for it as well. Just make sure you plop down a city in between the two relatively quickly, otherwise you're gonna have an AI city right in your face in no time.

Edit: Ready the Comp Bows!! :c5war: :c5war:

5 wheat, 2 stone, but it's quite a ways away from my capital. The only other civ I've met is Dido, but I haven't scouted her yet. (On Immortal dif, btw). Would it be worth it to settle here even if it's so far from my capital?

Its only 1 Wheat. I believe you have 5 Cotton. I would have gone for it if I thought I could get it. I would have used a Harbour (Medieval) for the internal trade route.

I don't think there was a way for him to get the wheat if he also wanted the city to be coastal.

There's a horse under the warrior too.

I don't think there was a way for him to get the wheat if he also wanted the city to be coastal.

There's a horse under the warrior too.

Yes you're correct but I am assuming he was going to settle where he placed his unit.

I would have placed mine in a coastal location and ignored the wheat. I realise that was not really apparent from my wording, so apologies for that.

If I can, I try to settle my 2nd settlement as FAR away from the 1st as possible (time providing), so I get right up to any choke points or natural borders, then settle inwardly with more settlers. This is in an attempt to stop any rival settlements plopping in through my borders and grabbing the biggest area possible to start from.

Of course, it takes time, and I`m always worrying what other nations are doing while I`m waiting for new settlers to settle, etc.

One advantage to building far away from your settlement is that you will gain access to more early game trading partners for your trade routes. It'll improve your relations. The downside is you're more vulnerable to barbarians... which if you have a suitable army shouldn't be a problem.

I'd argue a bigger issue is that it limits internal trade routes, which I'd argue are in most cases better as long as you keep a reasonably small army. Even on the higher difficulties I'd go for fast growth over extra gold + science.

Top Bottom