The Greeks at Emperor level

walletta

King
Being no expert at this business I do not offer this as a strategy article but just the sum of my recent experience playing the Greeks at this level.

As usual, I rig the starting set up to suit my tastes and augment the prospects of success. I am playing small continental against hand-picked opponents America and Egypt (invariably assigned to my continent) and Persia, The Ottomans and Babylon who fight things out on the other one. None of these start the game with alphabet which means:

1 I have a healthy head start in the race to the slingshot, and
2 I can launch a curragh as soon as I settle beside the seaside, thus making early contact with the other three civs

Play in the ancient age thus involves Rexing, the slingshot and setting sail for distant shores. I should have mentioned that I reload at the start until I get at least a river start. Bash out a few Hoplites as the AI does not like taking them on. I have found no problem at all avoiding an early GA.

The Greeks almost always hit the Middle Ages with a tech lead, then the others tend to catch up a bit. It does;t really make a huge difference which end of the tech tree you research, you should still have your nose in front by the Industrial age when my standard sequence is:

Steam power (to get the rail network up and running ASAP
Industrialisation (to build factories and coal plants in the core)

then bee line for Scientific Method to build the Theory of Evolution.

After that it's a race to build the UN (needs Fission) some bribery and corruption and - bosh - you become secretary general.

This method entails practically no fighting at all, just building and trading. In my most recent game America declared on the Greeks fairly early but Egypt proved willing to fight on my side, suitably bribed. That made a more or less permanent friend out of Egypt and permanently weakened the Americans, who were subsequently divided up between us leaving me with about 35% pop against a similar amount for Persia on the other continent.

There is always the chance that a super power will emerge on the other continent so for better play I should probably really do more intervening over there, supplying stuff to the weaklings and so forth but usually it's not necessary.

Anyway, that's the Walletta approach, obviously aided by some of the dirty tricks learned from the masters here when aiming for higher levels (micro-management etc)

Question (for those who read this far): is there a way to determine which free tech you get at the start of each era?

It does;t really make a huge difference which end of the tech tree you research

With cheap universities it does make some difference and be it only which amount of cash you save up to burn into fast research in the industrial age. The later can be of some importance albeit you might not notice the difference in the medieval age itself. :)

Question (for those who read this far): is there a way to determine which free tech you get at the start of each era?

I donnot think so. It might be worth to find out if the bonus tech correlates to what AI would choose:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=45559

Also it might be interesting what happens if you are behind in tech when entering a new era and can sufficiently cheaply buy the first techs to possibly(?) delay the bonus tech into one of the later techs of the new era. :crazyeye:

With cheap universities it does make some difference and be it only which amount of cash you save up to burn into fast research in the industrial age. The later can be of some importance albeit you might not notice the difference in the medieval age itself. :)

I donnot think so. It might be worth to find out if the bonus tech correlates to what AI would choose:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=45559

Also it might be interesting what happens if you are behind in tech when entering a new era and can sufficiently cheaply buy the first techs to possibly(?) delay the bonus tech into one of the later techs of the new era. :crazyeye:

Typically sneaky, Justanick.

I think you can prevent the game giving you a particular free tech by choosing that one as the one you want to research the hard way. At any rate, so far, I have always found that to be the case.

And cheap universities are nice, I agree. It's just that I achieve the same final outcome pretty easily by going for Invention, Chemistry etc along the bottom. After all, you can trade those for the upper branches.

Typically sneaky, Justanick.

I think you can prevent the game giving you a particular free tech by choosing that one as the one you want to research the hard way. At any rate, so far, I have always found that to be the case.
That is not true. I have experienced otherwise many times. The free tech allotment, as far as I know is completely random and the only thing a human can do is trade for tier 1 techs from scientific AI and hope to get a second tier tech.

That is not true. I have experienced otherwise many times. The free tech allotment, as far as I know is completely random and the only thing a human can do is trade for tier 1 techs from scientific AI and hope to get a second tier tech.

OK, interesting. Maybe I should look more closely. The tier 1 trade thing is pretty difficult to pull off when you are first into the new era, as I tend to try to be.

OK, interesting. Maybe I should look more closely. The tier 1 trade thing is pretty difficult to pull off when you are first into the new era, as I tend to try to be.

That is generally when the trick is used. You get to the new Era, gift all the other scientific civs there, buy off their free techs using gpt as in tech games you don't have optionals to trade for, and then hope for a second level tech.

The one you're least interested in ;) . So convince yourself that you really want to get Engineering. Hype yourself about all the advantages of planting forests on Grassland and Plains and imagine that river crossing is your most immediate need. Do this so that even you believe and you will not get Engineering. The only downside is that you have to be genuinely let down still...

The one you're least interested in ;) . So convince yourself that you really want to get Engineering. Hype yourself about all the advantages of planting forests on Grassland and Plains and imagine that river crossing is your most immediate need. Do this so that even you believe and you will not get Engineering. The only downside is that you have to be genuinely let down still...

:) you got the only copy of the Bad Luck Buttercup version of the game.

An interesting response. I never attribute anything to luck where computers are involved ;)

For example, in the Industrial Age I'd be willing to argue that you get Nationalism most often, Medicine in the middle and Railroads least often ;)

Top Bottom