Maya

That's what I'm hoping too. Although 13 is a lot of things to think of. Golden Age is a good one.

In the screenshot with Palenque we can see 3 differents GP improvements so I'm beting on free random GP at the start of each baktun after the discovery of calendar. GP birth requirement goes up in their respective filling bar every time a GGen, a GAdm, a GPro or a regular GP is spawned.

In the screenshot with Palenque we can see 3 differents GP improvements so I'm beting on free random GP at the start of each baktun after the discovery of calendar. GP birth requirement goes up in their respective filling bar every time a GGen, a GAdm, a GPro or a regular GP is spawned.

Maybe you can't get GP the normal way as Mayans, but only with the long count bonus. That would make the Unique Ability a Unique Concept, and still overpowered in the beginning.

My thoughts about this:

I just watched the IGN commentary and it was obvious that:
  1. "MAYA LONG COUNT BONUS" obviously grants a free GP of choice - the star inside the triangle icon confirms it.
  2. Something in the game causes vigesimals to appear instead of the Gregorian date - implying it's crucial in determining when the bonus would be granted.
  3. Commentator clicks next turn on T183, but the next turn is still 183 though obviously, the long count bonus is triggered at this point. BUT! The vigesimal did change from 10.19.XX to 11.0.XXX and that's when the bonus happened! SOOOOO does this mean that if the Bak'tun moves up one number, that will trigger the bonus? (He should not have intrigued us with his onscreen actions! :lol:)
  4. In the beginning of video no vigesimals were present - hence something was needed to make them present. Of course, the consensus is a tech, Calendar most likely since they were there when Optics was being researched, and G&K Optics is still a branch forward from Calendar (if the info is right).
  5. If T183 was 10.19.15.8.14 which corresponds to AD 1220 and T183 was also 11.0.5.11.6 which is AD 1230, hmmm....

Thoughts! Thoughts! OMG this is getting crazy. Mayans getting a free GP for every new Bak'tun? :eek:

No, it normally goes from T182 to T183 !

Now, in his game the "long count" is acquired between T74 and T86 wich implies the GP pump started from baktun 6 at the earliest so maybe a GP for 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 out of which 3 where spent as GP improvements.

It doesn't seem right that it will always grant a great person. Even if its random, that still comes across as blatantly overpowered. I figure that each long count bonus is different. Golden ages, random tech boosts, culture boosts, population growth, etc. Things you can plan your strategy around (y'know, get your calender out!). If it's free great people every time you wouldn't need a strategy...

What if the great people are the Maya's unique unit? They could be somewhat nerfed in relation to how often they appear.

Maya unique unit is the Atl-Atl, not a Great Person.
Their unique building is a Pyramid, so they don't have two unique units.

It doesn't seem right that it will always grant a great person. Even if its random, that still comes across as blatantly overpowered. I figure that each long count bonus is different. Golden ages, random tech boosts, culture boosts, population growth, etc. Things you can plan your strategy around (y'know, get your calender out!). If it's free great people every time you wouldn't need a strategy...

i agree with this, there is just no way it's a free GP every time.

according to the long count calendar 7 baktuns complete before the year 0....can you honestly believe you get 7 free great people that early in the game?? no way.

The game has always been balanced for Standard because that's what most people play.

well for a lot of Maya cities there are a lot of historical names.

Lakamha was only one name I believe. I am pretty sure it went by like another 3-4 names over the centuries as well.

well for a lot of Maya cities there are a lot of historical names.

Lakamha was only one name I believe. I am pretty sure it went by like another 3-4 names over the centuries as well.

but why Palenque??? why not Tikal?, or Chichén Itzá, or just Chichén (like Machu Picchu, that was called Machu)

im getting excited, i cant wait to play as the maya, ive been having a hard time deciding whether to play as the maya first or celts first but i think im gonna have to choose maya

but why Palenque??? why not Tikal?, or Chichén Itzá, or just Chichén (like Machu Picchu, that was called Machu)

As in the Capital? Well there are a lot of choices for a Maya Cap. To be honest any of the choices you mentioned would have been great choices. They are in the city list though. We are just so lucky to have such a rich history and culture for the Maya. So many not wrong choices.

Considering the Maya were never a unified state, its not so easy to pick one capital, the closest they ever got to that was Mayapan under the Mayapan league (Mayapan-Uxmal-Chichen Itza), and that was the last of the classical Maya before they turned into chiefdoms.

But Pacal is the leaderhead, so it makes sense.Tho I agree naming Palenque by its Mayan name would have been much better, I think it could be modded.

Considering the Maya were never a unified state, its not so easy to pick one capital, the closest they ever got to that was Mayapan under the Mayapan league (Mayapan-Uxmal-Chichen Itza), and that was the last of the classical Maya before they turned into chiefdoms.

But Pacal is the leaderhead, so it makes sense.Tho I agree naming Palenque by its Mayan name would have been much better, I think it could be modded.

Um or do it yourself.

Top Bottom