Noob report and in turn seeks advice

Antmf

Chieftain
Hey guys just wanted to ask for some advice. I played a game before with Babylon as my civ. Well things were going good and was going for a science victory but neglected military and only made archers early on to defend my cities. Well I got to 4 Cities and then Japan declared war on me and I manage to defend against his attacks with some knights which I had to buy ( needed them fast) but it screwed me up and eventually quit game. I made it to like 200 turns but I know I should have advanced more then I was at the 200 turn. So my question is while shooting for a victory other then military how do you balance the tech tree so you don't get caught with your pants down so to speak? Thanks again...

you cant go straight for science production like that you need to balance it.Produce a balanced military force and use it to defend yourself.You should continiously build units from one city and science from the rest or so,dont make all the cities build military units.Investing in military tech is also extremely important,if your behind your`re as good as dead.

Just make 2 ranged unit for each cities road all of them to give better unit mobility. Buy few melee unit if necessary, fortify it near your attacked cities to reduce opponent mobility (+25% from fortify bonus n heal will keep your unit alive). kill siege unit first or melee unit (if they have a few). Overall you'll just need better military tactics. Don't too much behind in military, 1 era still fine. Don't build too much unnecessary wonders.

Wow! Antmf: :)This is a great thread and just in time.

I just completed a let's play(My first video type ever) with this exact civilization on Difficulty 5/standard size map, in video form(currently uploading all the pieces and should be done in a couple days).

You can find link below(I will not go further into details here as it is pretty self explanatory)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ImiStatuesEye

All who view please feel free to comment(Although the hardware will make your ears hurt, I'm getting some new gear and will learn better use of that when it arrives.)

Moderators: Should this thread be moved to the Let's Plays section because of my mention please feel free to do so. I only answered this thread here because it seemed appropriate.(I mean you no harm:mischief:)

So my question is while shooting for a victory other then military how do you balance the tech tree so you don't get caught with your pants down so to speak?

To achieve a Science Victory, you'll eventually need to research along the bottom of the tech tree (where most of the Military-focused Tech are) to pick up all the Space Ship Part techs. So rather than beelining all your Science Building techs and falling behind militarily, you might want to stay semi-up-to-date with your Military Unit techs. It'll make you less vulnerable to the other civs and you'll need to research them sooner or later, so it's not wasted research.

To achieve a Science Victory, you'll eventually need to research along the bottom of the tech tree (where most of the Military-focused Tech are) to pick up all the Space Ship Part techs. So rather than beelining all your Science Building techs and falling behind militarily, you might want to stay semi-up-to-date with your Military Unit techs. It'll make you less vulnerable to the other civs and you'll need to research them sooner or later, so it's not wasted research.

This is a great idea for Antmf, and

@Antmf: you'll see that in my videos your already watching, I do not stick to the top part of the tech tree instead I work the Military tech into the fold as often as needed to stay ahead of the other civs, but without using to much time to research "not needed at the moment" techs, unless I am going to change lanes and head for the Military victory.

Thanks guys for all the replies and help. If you don't mind I am going to post some screen shots of the game I am playing now and maybe you can give me some tips. Keep in mind that my cap Babylon I did all the research needed to work the lux resource tiles I also got archery for some defense I did scout using my scouts who are now bowmen thanks to a ruin and my warrior, but am now kind of slumped on what I should do next. I think the pics are small how do i make the bigger for you guys to view? I have to repost the screen shots. Sorry I am not just a noob at Civ but at posting screenshots too lol.

Thanks guys for all the replies and help. If you don't mind I am going to post some screen shots of the game I am playing now and maybe you can give me some tips. Keep in mind that my cap Babylon I did all the research needed to work the lux resource tiles I also got archery for some defense I did scout using my scouts who are now bowmen thanks to a ruin and my warrior, but am now kind of slumped on what I should do next. I think the pics are small how do i make the bigger for you guys to view?

ouch those are the thumbnails from the folder on steam you'll need to upload the actual screenies that are much larger.

1st shot is my opening and I settles right there
2nd is after i explored made a scout and researched all that I need to improve the tiles in my cap.
3rd is a shot of the other civ I found. I also made another settler but not sure where to put him and what to start making and researching now. Thanks guys...

Aztecs are going to likely go warmonger. They are closer to Byzantium, but you should still keep watch.

What should my next step be? I mean I havent done any military research yet but it is very early game. This is where I get confused as to what to do, and how to tell what my opponent wants is going to do. The other thing I think was smart was not do the whole embassy thing with the Aztecs because they havent found me yet via scouting...

You need to explore more. If you're as emotionally attached to buildings and wonders as I am, you need to ally yourself with a military CS. I've gotten over half my army from a military CS.

That being said, neglecting your military is a definite detriment. Before the fall patch, I used to win Emperor all the time. After the fall patch, my win rate fell to under 50%.

Find a military CS, pledge to protect them, do the quests, and you should be able to ally with them without spending any gold.

Top Bottom