While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they're a tiny tribe that never had a population greater than a small rural town. They could have picked a number of other more important groups... oh wait, they already picked them all.

Sioux? Comanche? Apache? I don’t know about strict numbers but in terms of historical relevance and/or recognition any of those trump the Shoshone.

Because they're a tiny tribe that never had a population greater than a small rural town. They could have picked a number of other more important groups... oh wait, they already picked them all.
That makes them unimportant and small and weak, but not not a civ.

That makes them unimportant and small and weak, but not not a civ.

By most definitions of "a civilization" you'll find, the Shoshone will not make it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a bit jarring to have them alongside the others in the game.

Says the White Man, keeping the proud Shoshone people down. Who are you to define what makes a civilization? It was you and your guns and your poisonous blankets and your poisonous gun blankets who stopped them from being the mighty nation they could've been: now you'll take away their ability to roflstomp noobs in an online game.

For shame.

The Sioux would be a good choice. The Comanche would be my first choice, though, after the Iroquois.

They were going to put in Pueblo instead of Shoshone, but the tribe wouldn't let them.

The Iroquois are already in the game.

Isn't it more meaningful to call "the Pueblo" Anasazi? I understand the situation is messy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Pueblo_peoples said:
Archaeologists referred to one of these cultural groups as the Anasazi, although the term is not preferred by contemporary Pueblo peoples.

while

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo said:
The word pueblo is the Castilian word for "town", which comes from the Latin word populus meaning "people".

I understand Anasazi is the Navajo term for the Pueblo peoples - but this is similar to the "Indus Valley civilization" monicker - what do they call themselves save for Pueblo? I think both Pueblo and Anasazi would be incorrect to use meaningfully. I know I'm privileged like that as my heritage is quite well-established on its own terms, but...

Screw the bard. I'm David Foster Williams.

I write like David Foster Wallace. And if I try with my poems (the long, more or less good ones) I get Ursula K. Le Guin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom