Dualshockers article

Spoiler :

That is one ugly looking minimap.

Good to know that we know the scope of the scenario more precisely, though (southern Pennsylvania/Maryland/Tidewater region of Virginia/Virginian Appalachians).

Also: Happiness off! A "manpower" resource, or something like that!

I agree Muzzway. The screenshot for the ACW doesn't excite me about the scenario one bit.

We know one of the last two civs new colors also. Purple and white. Unless I'm blanking on a current civ, and barring color changes (which have never scene before).

{EDIT: Talk about this new border in the 9 new civs thread already}

I agree Muzzway. The screenshot for the ACW doesn't excite me about the scenario one bit.

We know one of the last two civs new colors also. Purple and white. Unless I'm blanking on a current civ, and barring color changes (which have never scene before).

I'm concerned that the civ-management options have been toned down too much, so that it's just been reduced purely to a military campaign. That might seem suitable for a civil war scenario, but I'm worried it will be too much off a slog.

That is one ugly looking minimap.

Good to know that we know the scope of the scenario more precisely, though (southern Pennsylvania/Maryland/Tidewater region of Virginia/Virginian Appalachians).

I live in Northern Virginia and grew up in Pennsylvania and then Delaware and I almost didn't recognize the mini-map.

BTW, that ocean going up to Leesburg is the Potomac river, so it seems that impassable rivers are a part of the scenario (I think that's a bridge or pontoon bridge improvement in the tech tree to counter that). Looks like there will be some interesting strategic options

I live in Northern Virginia and grew up in Pennsylvania and then Delaware and I almost didn't recognize the mini-map.

BTW, that ocean going up to Leesburg is the Potomac river, so it seems that impassable rivers are a part of the scenario (I think that's a bridge or pontoon bridge improvement in the tech tree to counter that). Looks like there will be some interesting strategic options

Given the width of those rivers (some are up to 5 miles wide) and how largely they featured in the ACW as impediments to movement, they got that part right, even if it does make for an ugly map.

The colors for the Confederates are pretty awesome.

I'm concerned that the civ-management options have been toned down too much, so that it's just been reduced purely to a military campaign. That might seem suitable for a civil war scenario, but I'm worried it will be too much off a slog.

Hey, I'm the one that wrote the preview, for reference :D

The civ-management options have indeed been reduced quite a lot. I actually realized later today that the part of the preview on the ACW scenario was way too lean, and added quite a bit more info to it (please forgive me, the game kept me going for longer than a full day and I was running on fumes when I wrote the preview).

Luckily there are a few interesting elements that enhance the depth of the scenario (like named commanders for units after their first battles for instance), and some of the restrictions are actually IMHO a good thing, as they enhance the strategy aspects of the scenario. I wish I could provide custom screenshots, that would explain a few concepts (like the tech tree) a lot better, but unfortunately we were forbidden to post our own.

I wouldn't play it ALL the time, but it's definitely a good diversion from the usual Civ mechanics.

Couldn't we have just gotten the entire Eastern Campaign so that everyone can take joy in burning down Georgia?

Couldn't we have just gotten the entire Eastern Campaign so that everyone can take joy in burning down Georgia?

I think it would have been hilarious if part way through the Confederate campaign Sherman comes up from behind and starts burning everything like the Mongols in ItR.

Hey, I'm the one that wrote the preview, for reference :D

The civ-management options have indeed been reduced quite a lot. I actually realized later today that the part of the preview on the ACW scenario was way too lean, and added quite a bit more info to it (please forgive me, the game kept me going for longer than a full day and I was running on fumes when I wrote the preview).

Luckily there are a few interesting elements that enhance the depth of the scenario (like named commanders for units after their first battles for instance), and some of the restrictions are actually IMHO a good thing, as they enhance the strategy aspects of the scenario. I wish I could provide custom screenshots, that would explain a few concepts (like the tech tree) a lot better, but unfortunately we were forbidden to post our own.

I wouldn't play it ALL the time, but it's definitely a good diversion from the usual Civ mechanics.

Since the picture of the purple civilization is on your preview, do you have any clue what it is? Or are you not allowed to say it?

It's a renamed cavalry unit if I'm not mistaken.
The star icon indicates a Great General. The cavalry units on-screen are using the Horseman icon. You can see what the cavalry portraits look like on the right notification area and in the build queue for Frederick.

Since the picture of the purple civilization is on your preview, do you have any clue what it is? Or are you not allowed to say it?
Come on, use your head. You know perfectly well that he's not allowed to say, even if he knows. But that screenshot is Firaxis', not his.

The star icon indicates a Great General. The cavalry units on-screen are using the Horseman icon.

Come on, use your head. You know perfectly well that he's not allowed to say, even if he knows. But that screenshot is Firaxis', not his.

I know, but it was worth a shot :mischief:. Anyway, it will be interesting to play the Civil War scenario especially as Lee or Sherman.

I know but I can't tell :( We've been very explicitly forbidden to utter a word about it... And yes, Arioch is right. They didn't allow us to post any screenies besides the provided ones (thing that made me very sad, as I love to go wild with screenshots).

I know but I can't tell :( We've been very explicitly forbidden to utter a word about it... And yes, Arioch is right. They didn't allow us to post any screenies besides the provided ones (thing that made me very sad, as I love to go wild with screenshots).

Haha I understand. I know the media is legally not allowed to say without the company's say so. :goodjob: Good review!]

Also, are the Generals just Great Generals with famous names?

Haha I understand. I know the media is legally not allowed to say without the company's say so. :goodjob: Good review!]

Also, are the Generals just Great Generals with famous names?

Yes and no. They work basically the same but have a 5 tiles influence range instead of 2. They also get "wounded" and displaced to a nearby city instead of killed.

Top Bottom