Smart AI Version 3

Ninakoru

A deity on Emperor
After a long long time I finally came back to Civ modding, here's the result of one month of work and testing with the DLL.

I have to say I spent most of the time looking at what has been done on CPP and AUI, fixed some of my original changes with the fantastic work of Gazebo, Iteroi and Delnar, moving the changes in define directives so they are more traceable (much like Delnar did, I totally love his method), and finally integrated some fixes and changes from both DDL mods.

Last week I whatched deeply into build and tech funtions, made up a few fixes and improvements there.

Any comment about the mod, any crash (I tested everything, but :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) happens), and request, please use this thread.

Meanwhile I will prepare a few pull requests to the community patch project with the fixes and issues they have not enhanced in other way.

Here are the new changes, resumed:

V3 changes:

- Some fixes and enhancements from Artificial Unintelligence mod (all merits to Delnar!), most are for better AI tactical and operation ability, with some behaviour fixes.

- Some fixes for Tactical analysis map internal calculations from Community Patch Project (thanks to Gazebo, Iteroi and all the team!).

- AI will properly focus city on production while doing wonders and settlers (also from Community Patch Project)

- Some fixes on V1 and V2 changes, mostly done in both Artificial Unintelligence mod and Community Patch Project.

- AI Air rebase enhanced, to properly bring planes to the most needed cities, also won't flee from a city/carrier until REAL danger.

- AI will only build world wonders on their most productive cities, and only will build some national wonders on the best cities to get the most of these building bonuses.

- AI will create some core defense troops early, at least to cover cities, workers and settlers with one combat unit to avoid being too weak against barb attacks and rushes (incredibly useful for mods that give the AI less free starting units on higher difficulties IE my balance mod).

- AI desired minimum and recommended troops are scaled with difficulty and more city-based. AI will train units more often if the total combat unit count is absurdly low.

- AI desired minimum and recommended troops value based on threat fixed (specially useful isolated/distant civs), now it scales from 50% to 150% properly.

- AI will dinamically create workers based on owned tiles still to be upgraded (useful when there's lots of tiles hard to upgrade IE jungle).

- AI capital settler need for first three cities also scales with difficulty parameters (better bonuses = faster initial expansion).

- Fix for AI tech selection: AI will emphasize on techs that enable luxuries effectively, now also working with resources and sea resources/luxuries.

- More on AI Tech selection: AI will start considering grand strategy over situational needs faster based on difficulty bonsuses.

- Better Tech selection based on flavors: AI flavor propagation formula fixed to distribute the value if there are several required techs needed to reach that Tech. Also some fixes to boost tech desire for the ones near the end of the tree (due the tech propagation computation, those didn't get much love).

And finally, about the resources.

Civfanatics download:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=22394

Also available on Steam Workshop (just search for smart AI).

The github code is now here:

https://github.com/Ninakoru/Civ-5-BNW-Smart-AI

Thank you for the update! I'm downloading right now, sounds great! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for your mod! I usually play civ5 on Immortal, but I played a very peaceful CV game as France on King, as I wanted to see how competitive AIs could be with your mod on lower difficulty. And, here are some good points and issues I found:

+ AIs seem to beeline techs in which they are really interested, so it is not easy to build early World Wonders even on King. Pretty nice!

+ CSs are capable of defending themselves much better thanks to building more military units. They often even clear barbarian camps themselves, so they don't really need my help any more...

- I am afraid that your mod now has the same issue as Artificial Unintelligence that barbarian units frequently go out of camps for no good reason, so you can clear them without fighting very easily with scouts.

- Barbarian units just stand still, even when they are very close to a CS territory, once their camp is cleared. They seem to be "awakened" somehow if I attack one of them, though.

- Similarly, when an AI's settler cannot reach where it wanted to go (because my units block the location), the settler stands still forever. The settler should move to somewhere else in vanilla, I think.

I didn't see the combat aspect very much in this playthrough unfortunately, so I am planning to play next game with more violence, possibly aiming at DV. :D

I think this is absolutely great, it adds a whole new experience to the game in my opinion. My only critique about it would be that when the AI wishes to sign a peace treaty; they often offer a city in the deal. I don't think that's very realistic nor smart, sometimes they might have 3 cities and be far away. Offering a city only allows me to be much closer and pose more of a threat!

Other than that, I love this. Thanks for your effort in the project!

I think this is absolutely great, it adds a whole new experience to the game in my opinion. My only critique about it would be that when the AI wishes to sign a peace treaty; they often offer a city in the deal. I don't think that's very realistic nor smart, sometimes they might have 3 cities and be far away. Offering a city only allows me to be much closer and pose more of a threat!

Other than that, I love this. Thanks for your effort in the project!

100% agree with you. At my game which was King difficulty, Poland was on a different Continent and declared war on me. No battles whatsoever between us for the entire war . At the end of the war Poland proposed a peace treaty with a city.:eek: Now there is no reason to do that unless they where cornered and badly losing.

I just finished playing a great game that went 377 turns. It was a very fun game to play and can't wait to start a new one. I did notice a few things in this game since it went so long:

1.) A few nations still had antiquated units when most if not all nations were in the modern era tech wise. For example I noticed Siam still had a few elephants and Egypt had quite a bit War Chariots!

Is it possible to have AI's either upgrade their units and the one's they're not able to have them removed?

1.1) I've played as Egypt quite often so I am quite familiar with them. In my game they were generating quite a bit of faith per turn and I know purchasing War Chariots with faith is an option. I believe they were using their faith to purchase these that was why they had so many.

Is it possible to make the AI select better options that would be more beneficial for them when purchasing selections from faith option? Perhaps fine tuning how and what policies they select could assist in fixing that area?

2.) I always see this and it drives me absolutely nuts, when a nation goes to war. It seems like they send every single unit they can except workers to attack. Is it possible to stop this or at least slow it down and have them leave some units behind to protect their lands? I understand the need for a good offense, but at the same time what good is that if you're leaving your cities completely open for an offense against them.

3. I don't know if having a mod (Leugi's Barbarian Inmersion Enhancements (v 1) is the reason for this, but as the game gets into the modern era. The Barbarians (Terrorists) that rise up as a rebellion seem to squander the best chance they have at taking a city.

For example, in my game a group of about 4 or 5, a few cannons and I think riflemen rebelled against a city state. Long story short before they were wiped out by that city state after about 5 turns they only attacked that city 1 time. Is it possible to encourage more attempts on the city especially range weapons? It appears early in the game they had no issue going after the cities. They had conquered I think 4 city states early in the game.

Outside of those and the one I mentioned previously, the game as I already stated was very fun. It's quite noticeable the improvements to the AI, improvements that really enhance the experience of playing it. The AI is a lot smarter than before, if we could make a few more tweaks here and there. I think this AI has the ability to make it seem like you're always in a multi player game, where it feels like you're always playing a good human player, not a AI!

Thanks again for your work in putting this together, it's great!

Edit: To clarify, when I say "Modern Era" I don't mean the modern era in the game. I think the game era is Atomic. I am just so use to saying modern that it comes naturally!

I'll second what Lynnes and Bane said in that it would be great to see this in whoward's DLL.

Top Bottom