How big of an army/navy do you build?

Wow, you guys make me look bad! I hang around with my starting Warrior, a Scout or two, and maybe a Trireme for far too long. Since there seem to be no early AI attacks anymore, I only have to keep the barbs in check. But other than that, I procrastinate in building up my army until mid game.

There’s just so much to do in the early game: I always feel rushed to beat the AI to a critical Wonder, or to find a crucial settling spot, or to get to a necessary tech. I need to hurry up and meet everyone and get to Printing Press so I can be the leader of the World Council. I need to get my Guilds going so I can start generating Great Works and accumulating Tourism. I need to get to Industrialization or the Modern Era so I can be the first to pick an Ideology and get the 2 free SoPols. I need to get my Trade Routes up and running to start raking in the cash flow. I need to accumulate Faith to get a good Pantheon and found a Religion with the best beliefs for my planned Victory Condition. The race to get all this done can make me overwhelmingly frantic, and usually leads me to neglect my military until I absolutely need it.

Top Bottom