BNW Sweden

Anyone taken a run with Sweden in BNW? How's he handle on Emperor+? Would love to hear some feedback/comments/criticisms/experiences. He was one of my favorites with G&K, and seems like a great fit for the new great art system and BNW preference for mid-late game ideological warfare.

Well I guess Sweden has gotten better in BNW since there are three new Great People each with their own independent counters. You can probably forgo Tourism entirely and just us GMAWs for mad influence.

BNW seems to promote trade and peace more than war, which suits the Swedish UA well. Stay friends with people and benefit from the trade money and the excess great people.
Though when the time comes to make Caroleans, they might as well make many and throw around your military weight. Riflemen with free march? Hell yes.

Why would I play such a meek country like Sweden unless I wanted IKEA furniture and chocolate?

I love IKEA furniture and chocolate...

Hrm...

Chocolate ?

BNW seems to promote trade and peace more than war, which suits the Swedish UA well. Stay friends with people and benefit from the trade money and the excess great people.
Though when the time comes to make Caroleans, they might as well make many and throw around your military weight. Riflemen with free march? Hell yes.

Exactly. Ideologies suit Sweden so well. Pick a popular one and you've got multiple DOFs for the entire end-of-game.

Of course, Hakkas are still garbage :lol:

The tundra bias can be a bit of a wild card. Upsides are possible strategic resources and dance of the aurora pantheon, and the downsides can be unlucky starts.

Getting those early GPs can net you some secure alliances with CSes, and with the AI using most of their spies for diplomats, you are less contested for city states - ergo GP gifts can have a bigger impact.

Of course, Hakkas are Hakkas, and the best use I can see for them is to quickly transport that GG to that far away city state.

The tundra bias can be a bit of a wild card. Upsides are possible strategic resources and dance of the aurora pantheon, and the downsides can be unlucky starts.

Whoa, did they add a tundra bias for BNW? I wasn't aware of one in G&K... That really is a wild card.

It's also somewhat dumb. I live in Sweden and I didn't think we were known for having a lot of tundra. I mean, making Gustav II Adolf look like Erik XIV and making him refer himself to the Snow King was one thing, but this was just crazy.

It's also somewhat dumb. I live in Sweden and I didn't think we were known for having a lot of tundra. I mean, making Gustav II Adolf look like Erik XIV and making him refer himself to the Snow King was one thing, but this was just crazy.

Well those two look the same, reddish hair and long pointy beards. Sweden does has a decent amount of arctic tundra, more than any other civ in the game except Russia.

Sweden does has a decent amount of arctic tundra, more than any other civ in the game except Russia.

I have never visited northern Sweden, but if it is anything close to northern Finland the soil can't really be called tundra. There's huge amounts of forests with grassy soil. But then on the other hand winters are cold so the overall "crop yield" throughout the year is closer to tundra than grasslands.

I would guess Mongolia having huge areas of tundra because they are in the middle of a huge continent without any seas nearby and winters can be super cold.

EDIT: Forgot the actual topic :)
Tried Sweden on Emperor. Didn't really know wheter to pick tradition or piety, so I went piety with tundra faith. Was planning on gathering faith and going Glory of God reformation and buy every great person there is. Game went well overall except the slow growthrate. Only had couple of deer and sheep nearby. Sweden has its upsides, but the tundra can be tricky as mentioned before. Try it.

I have never visited northern Sweden, but if it is anything close to northern Finland the soil can't really be called tundra. There's huge amounts of forests with grassy soil. But then on the other hand winters are cold so the overall "crop yield" throughout the year is closer to tundra than grasslands.

I would guess Mongolia having huge areas of tundra because they are in the middle of a huge continent without any seas nearby and winters can be super cold.

EDIT: Forgot the actual topic :)
Tried Sweden on Emperor. Didn't really know wheter to pick tradition or piety, so I went piety with tundra faith. Was planning on gathering faith and going Glory of God reformation and buy every great person there is. Game went well overall except the slow growthrate. Only had couple of deer and sheep nearby. Sweden has its upsides, but the tundra can be tricky as mentioned before. Try it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/800px-Map-Tundra.png

On closer inspection, I guess Norway actually has most of the tundra.

Sweden plays well - good synergy with the new features and the tendency to be peaceful earlier eras helps. I found the new tundra start painful, though.

Sweden plays well - good synergy with the new features and the tendency to be peaceful earlier eras helps. I found the new tundra start painful, though.

Damn, I'll take this as confirmation, then, that Sweden does now have a tundra bias. Am I wrong for reconsidering playing them? Tundra is easily the worst start bias there is.

Maybe with Honor and raging barbs, it can work, given that barbs love to hang out up in the arctic (reason for Songhai's no-tundra start bias)? Even so... that's really painful.

Maybe with Honor and raging barbs, it can work, given that barbs love to hang out up in the arctic (reason for Songhai's no-tundra start bias)? Even so... that's really painful.

I think barbs like to roam everywhere. There's just hardly any cities near the snow so they tend to gather there because there isn't as many military units scouting the arctic region.
That could actually be interesting experiment with Germany to send missionaries to convert those arctic heathens with the reformation belief which name i don't remember. I have found that Germany tends to get near tundra starts more or less often and with their lower unit upkeep cost UA they could actually gather a massive army of heathens, especially with raging barbs, and still use those precious hammers to do something else.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the growthrate can be quite low. So granaries is a must have in every city and hope for some deer nearby. Also GP should be sent to maritime CS just for the food and hope to get some new luxuries with the alliance. I don't recommend using GP to get influence on any other type of CS than maritime. Sweden isn't really great for going wide and with the growthrate troubles your happiness won't drop that fast so mercantile CSs and happiness buildings aren't that important.

Damn, I'll take this as confirmation, then, that Sweden does now have a tundra bias. Am I wrong for reconsidering playing them? Tundra is easily the worst start bias there is.

Keep in mind there are bunch new good things. They can get certain votes in the World Congress, for example. One nice thing I did is the Reformation belief that lets you buy any great person with faith - it has a nice synergy with Sweden overall.

However, I'm not going to lie and say that tundra is good. My first try with them failed miserably because the start was unusually bad. However, I ended up getting a new start that worked fairly well and it ended up being really, really easy.

Keep in mind there are bunch new good things. They can get certain votes in the World Congress, for example. One nice thing I did is the Reformation belief that lets you buy any great person with faith - it has a nice synergy with Sweden overall.

However, I'm not going to lie and say that tundra is good. My first try with them failed miserably because the start was unusually bad. However, I ended up getting a new start that worked fairly well and it ended up being really, really easy.

Glory of God is extremely good for Sweden especially with that tundra faith bonus.

What would be a good type of resources to select when creating a game? Does random mean purely random or one of the pre-selections availbale from the start menu?

For glory of god, and please forgive my ignorance- i've never taken anything but sacred sites or jesuit education- does each type of great person have a reduced faith-purchase cost?

Is the synergy with Sweden based upon Sweden then gifting inexpensive faith-purchased great people?

Glory of God is one heck of a Reformation belief. Know that requirement to fill out an entire tree? Glory of God doesn't care about that.

I was thinking of Charitable Missions being good for Sweden, so you can combine the Great Person gifting with some steady cash flow. But then again, they don't have any money making bonuses.

Top Bottom