Naming Cleanup

45°38'N-13°47'E;13109345 said:
I mostly agree. The only thing I'm not sure of is Pre-Dreadnought. I liked that name because it fits very good IMO. According to wikipedia "Pre-dreadnoughts replaced the ironclad battleships of the 1870s and 1880s". Ironclad battleship sounds like a different kind of ship, more or less the same as ironclads (I guess you can use both Ironclad Battleship or Ironclad for the same ship). While I know that at the time Pre-Dreadnoughts weren't called Pre-Dreadnoughts, I guess they were simply called battleships and not ironclads anymore. But to tell the truth, I don't have other names to suggest if we want to change it.

There are a lot of different kinds of steam warships, and I wanted a name that didn't clash with any other ship and fit the era. Think of it as compressing the ironclad battleship with the pre-dreadnought. We shouldn't be trying to cover every possible ship that was included in that era (although I think we can get in one cruiser-class ship that doesn't need Artillery technology).

The regular Ironclad that we have is a coastal-defense ship. I like that one's imagery and role enough to keep it -- it's the first combat steam ship, so it should probably be a little limited.

The Ironclad (Ironclad Gunboat) of American Civil War fame is a historical abnormality at best. I would personally be for removing the unit from the game entirely...

The Ironclad (Ironclad Gunboat) of American Civil War fame is a historical abnormality at best. I would personally be for removing the unit from the game entirely...

Yeah, the Union Navy wanted to remove them from the game as well. :lol: Reality sucks sometimes.

Isn't there a better name for this one? For example Supersonic Fighter?
Just an idea.

There probably is a better name, but I haven't found one yet. I was trying to get some of the easy renames out of the way and then we can work on the harder ones. IL2 and P-59 really need renaming, but I don't have good names handy right now.

There probably is a better name, but I haven't found one yet. I was trying to get some of the easy renames out of the way and then we can work on the harder ones. IL2 and P-59 really need renaming, but I don't have good names handy right now.

IL2 could be renamed as attack bomber or light bomber.
P59 could be renamed as early jet fighter(it was one of the first jet fighters).
Supersonic fighter is not good for modern fighter F35 because its predecessor, the jet fighter, is also considered as supersonic.Multirole fighter could be a suitable name.

The F-35 is a stealth (technically, the correct term is "low-observable") fighter. Why not go with that?

IL2 could be renamed as attack bomber or light bomber.
P59 could be renamed as early jet fighter(it was one of the first jet fighters).
Supersonic fighter is not good for modern fighter F35 because its predecessor, the jet fighter, is also considered as supersonic.Multirole fighter could be a suitable name.

The F-16 (the model used for the current jet fighter) is also a multi-role fighter, so that doesn't really set it apart.

Also, in the military, fighters like the F-16, the F-15, the Su-27, the MiG-29, etc. are often referred to as 4th-generation aircraft, whereas the F-22 and the F-35 are 5th-generation aircraft, and planes like the Eurofighter and the Rafale are sometimes called 4.5th-gen aircraft.

Also, in the military, fighters like the F-16, the F-16, the Su-27, the MiG-29, etc. are often referred to as 4th-generation aircraft, whereas the F-22 and the F-35 are 5th-generation aircraft, and planes like the Eurofighter and the Rafale are sometimes called 4.5th-gen aircraft.

I don't think Fourth generation fighter and Fith generation fighter sounds bad :)
First and second would sound... errr... not so good, but getting to the 4th and 5th one there is already a clear line.
IMHO

The is a "modern" in modern workboat.
Unfortunately, i have no idea how else it could be called - the whole "workboat" idea is confusing if you think about it longer...

Here's another rename that I want to do. I think Forbidden Palace should become Summer Palace. Some other mods have done this. I have two reasons for this:
  • I think Forbidden Palace is actually too specific. National Wonders should get generic names because every civilization gets one. World Wonders, Unique Units, and flavor names are the only things that should get specific names.
  • I have a good idea for a Forbidden City World Wonder, and to avoid any naming confusion, I'd like to change Forbidden Palace to something else.

Here's another rename that I want to do. I think Forbidden Palace should become Summer Palace. Some other mods have done this. I have two reasons for this:
  • I think Forbidden Palace is actually too specific. National Wonders should get generic names because every civilization gets one. World Wonders, Unique Units, and flavor names are the only things that should get specific names.
  • I have a good idea for a Forbidden City World Wonder, and to avoid any naming confusion, I'd like to change Forbidden Palace to something else.

I always felt it should be that way :worship:
Please move the animation to the Forbidden City, I think the Summer Pallace should have a more generic movie too.

The is a "modern" in modern workboat.
Unfortunately, i have no idea how else it could be called - the whole "workboat" idea is confusing if you think about it longer...

How about renaming:
  • Workboat --> Fishingboat (thay cannot creat anything else afaik)
  • Modern workboat --> Workboat

How about renaming:
  • Workboat --> Fishingboat (thay cannot creat anything else afaik)
  • Modern workboat --> Workboat

Maybe they should be different units altogether? As opposed to "Workboat" being upgradeable to "Modern workboat". I've always wondered why fishing boats suddenly become 3 times as hard to produce just because I've gained access to a new technology.

Fishing boats should be replaced, just as mines are replaced with Modern Mines, they become more productive.

A trade off could be a modded reduction in yeilds for a period of time, due to over fishing, poor resource management, disease.

You could justify the increased yeild, with items such as a intensive fish farming, that needs a modern work boat to build. Build it upon an existing resource, or divide an existing resource to produce two more??

Maybe it would produce too much food, but crops increase yeilds with techs...

I took a look at the Modern Workboat. It has a lot of abilities, but I think we can prune some off. The Jumplane, Aquatic Anti-Air Defenses, and Aquatic Forcefield all come after the Modern Workboat has been replaced by the Constructor Ship.

If we take those abilities off, we have Fishing Boats, Whaling Boats, Break Ice, Tunnel, and Sanitize as options for the Modern Workboat. What if then we call it Trawler? I think it's a really short name and good to the point.

I don't think we need a new improvement for Fishing Boats and the current bonuses that Fishing Boats get at certain technologies are good enough.

Light Cavalry and Heavy Cavalry are two units that I have always wanted to rename. The problem with these two units is that their name implies a connection to the Cavalry, which doesn't come along until much later (Light Cav is Classical Era, Heavy Cav is Medieval, regular Cav is very late Renaissance). I also want to use the Light Cavalry name for another unit that is actually a light version of the current Cavalry (probably Strength-25, doesn't require Rifling tech).

This is what I'm thinking:
  • Light Cavalry becomes Heavy Horseman
  • Heavy Cavalry becomes Squire
Are there some other names that might work?

IMHO it's the Cavalry unit that should be renamed. Roman equites, Medieval knights, Persian cataphracts, etc. are technically all cavalry units. Terms like Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Cavalry are much too generic. For instance, the unit that is presently named Cavalry is really an evolution of a cavalry type known as Dragoons.

I prefer as much as possible to not change names that vanilla Civ 4/BTS introduced. I think they were very good at creating the simplest possible names, and that's something that I try to emulate. Dragoons are coming fairly soon; they're an upgrade of the Mounted Infantry line (the concept is solid enough for me to expand them into a full line).

One of the words that I really do not like to use in any name is Commercial. I think that whenever modders try to use it, it sounds either anachronistic, artificial, or both. I was able to fix Commercial Airport by giving it the basic Airport name and renaming the first Airport to Airfield. I'd like to also shorten Commercial Port to Seaport. I think it both sounds better and comes along at the same time you get your first ocean-going ships (Caravels).

Also, I had another idea to share. What if we shortened the Theory of Relativity tech to just Relativity? We have a weird mix of some theories being technologies and some being projects (Evolution, Everything). The word "theory" doesn't seem to really add anything, and I'm in favor of shortening names wherever we can.

Top Bottom