Votes: 57 9.4%

Votes: 92 15.2%

Votes: 93 15.3%

Votes: 40 6.6%

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good post from Polycrates. I agree that a good part of Civ4's depth came from finding the best overall solution to many small optimisation problems which weren't particularly interesting in themselves.

I sympathise with the apparent Civ5 goals of focusing on big-picture decisions in empire management and tactics over efficient use of material in warfare, but the implementation seems amateurish to ignorant.

In a game catering mostly to the single player market, it matters whether an AI can be taught to play it... or whether you can implement handicaps that aren't too obnoxious. Replacing safeguards against known degenerate playstyles should also be handled with care. Reducing clutter of small decisions is commendable, but if interesting larger dilemmas emerged from them the game loses substance if you do, and you have to compensate for the loss of depth somehow.

If generous, the main impression is that someone had good ideas, but failed to consider how seemingly good changes may harm the game. If ungenerous, the main impression is of implementing features that sound good before the purchase, without care whether the actual game will be good.

4/10 (assuming an average title would hover between 5 and 6. Not all people seem to treat these scales the same way).

I rated 9, though admittedly I am not enjoying the game the way I used to in previous series. Considering that I usually rate all my favorite games to the highest point but the CiV I rated one point below the highest, for me that means worse of all civ series I loved and enjoyed to play. The CiV merely met below average of my great expectation from the game and utterly failed to brought total joy and addiction I used to get in previous civ series.

though I honestly like many new features in CiV and very few I dislike; like, the overly long building of units, buildings and wonders, unreasonable high cost of units and buildings which is by the way, contradicting the very essence of civ that is empire building and lastly, they took out the building of aquaduct and recycling center in favor of the idea of global happiness.

furthermore, the worse of all, is that the AI schizophrenic behavior both in combat and diplomacy which ruins the game completely.

While I disagree with you on what Civ V offers on the whole (especially the combat element), I agree that the micromanagement/play-to-the-rules-rather-than-the-concept approach to the Civ series is and always has been a turn-off for me. It is, as you point out later, what drew me to EU3. EU3 has micromanagement, but it's....I dunno...I think of it as "conceptual" micromanagement, rather than "mathematical" micromanagement. It's less about manipulating equations to spit out the "optimal" result, and more about understanding the concepts that the mechanic is trying to approximate. Some stuff is still "mathematical," and folks who dig that kind of thing will likely still do quite well, but there's less worry about maximizing hammers, beakers, coins, etc.

I agree 100%. And I think the reason is that the Paradox games are almost as much simulations as games. They really have a goal of accurately modeling the forces that shaped a particular time period, so they can throw in all these special mechanics that are accurate for that period but which wouldn't make sense at other periods in history. Hell, fifty-seven or so expansions later, Paradox are still adding mechanics to EU3 because their regular ones didn't quite model one part of the world in the one time period it covers. So yeah, when you delve into the nitty-gritty the details make a lot more sense (though they are still abstracted to an extent), so it doesn't feel nearly as jarring or mechanical.
Likewise Dwarf Fortress as the extreme example, because it's first-and-foremost a psychotic-midgets-underground simulator; and because the focus is, relatively, so limited (and because he's slightly insane) he's abstracted precisely nothing so going into the details feels right.

Whereas you really can't have a mechanic for income/production/science/warfare/whatever that comes anywhere near to accurately fitting for the whole of human history, because it's just too long and too varied. You just can't. So your mechanics are necessarily broad and abstract, and the closer you make it fit for one period, the more obviously it's going to not fit for others. And Civ has never had the goal of being a historical simulator - which is obvious right from the point where they dump every nation into the world simultaneously with one settler at exactly 4000BC. It's a game broadly based on historical development, not a sim, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - as long as they don't start pretending otherwise.
Hence you have 1 pop working one tile for n food, hammers and gold and generating x science towards your goal of inventing animal husbandry while your warriors take 20 years to move 1 square - none of it makes any real sense, never really has, but they're perfectly good gameplay mechanics. So with more detail and "depth" you're just adding more and more abstractions. So with religion, for example - EU3 needs religion in meticulous detail, because it's a necessary part of modeling the sociological forces that drove the actual conflicts and developments and overall climate in that period. And it's more a background part of the modeling that you have to take into account, but don't really have to actively do anything much with. Whereas Civ religion - it was a nice mechanic for driving alliances and conflict along another axis, and I'm not opposed to its re-addition in some different form at some point, but really it was mostly about how much time you could be bothered wasting stuffing around with those bloody missionaries.

With Civ, I think realism be damned - it's more about whether a mechanic is fun and adds interesting, meaningful choices or whether it just adds another set of fiddly little things that distract you from the big picture of running an empire *cough*espionage*cough*. I'm being too harsh, I loved BtS to bits, but I did find that sometimes I'd look up and realise "oh, it's 1000AD" and re-evaluate what I was doing because I'd been too stuck in the little mayoral stuff to notice the broad passage of history. With Civ V, I find I'm always in that broad passage of history/grand decisions headspace, and I think that's a good thing.

I can see where, to a degree, Civ V sort of moved away from that, but I just don't think that the execution lived up to whatever the design goal was -- to the extent there was a coherent goal, that is. I find that, for example, buildings don't give much bang for your buck, so you end up not needing to min/max, but more because you're not really...doing anything that would require it.
Agree to an extent, but that's more a balance thing I think, which is why Thal's excellent Balance mod has already essentially fixed this with just fairly minor tweaks (I realise not everyone considers a mod a fix though).

I wish that Civ V was as you described it, but to me, it's as if they stripped out the micromanagement elements more by accident (by making more stuff less useful to build, so you always have plenty of resources to spend), and not filling that gap with much else. It's a lot of (in my experience) clicking "next turn" and just waiting for something to happen. So, for me, they (inadvertently? On purpose?) got rid of much of the micromanagement, but it hasn't been replaced by grand "The empire shall do XYZ. This I decree!" decisions. It's just less stuff to do. Also, while I didn't like the micromanagement element of the earlier Civ games, there were still more consequential decisions to be made. Do I build this, or do I build that? To some extent, the game mechanics that gave rise to micromanagement were an effort to make those choices meaningful. So, sure, you can build [building A], but if oyu do that, you'll probably waste production that could've gone into [building B] instead. But [building A] takes less time to make and grants a lower bonus, while [building B] takes far longer, but has a huge bonus. The micromanagement developed as a way to make those choices LESS impactful and to game the system (which was already gaming you by having a finger on the scale, so to speak). Another reason why I find EU3 more entertaining -- the AI doesn't "cheat."
I think of Civ V as more streamlined than simplified, and I'm not just playing semantic silly buggers. Take buildings - yeah there were more buildings in Civ IV, but you still ended up pretty much always building the same buildings in the same order in all your cities (which became a chore and a half in the late game, especially if you conquered a lot). Whereas with Civ V, every building is a much more substantial choice. You can't afford to build a marketplace everywhere, so you have to be sure you're really going to get more benefit from it than from a granary/library/swordsman before you plonk it down. Yeah, the balance is still off and some of the buildings are pretty rubbish (again, Thal's balance mod is brilliant here), but I like the bigger decisions. I like that you can't build everything everywhere, even by the end of the game. To me, that's more choice.

I quite like that you have to do less, that they've gone for a paradigm where everything that isn't a real choice is something you don't have to do. I don't see that as dumbing down at all, quite the opposite. Whether that's a worthy goal or not is of course a matter of taste. And have they achieved it? I think mostly yes, but that's me and I know plenty disagree. And to be honest, I find plenty to do (and I play on epic speed).

Exactly, but no. :) Exactly in the sense that Civ isn't about historical realism, and other franchises are (which is why they're broken into smaller eras). No, because basically I disagree with how Civ V ends up approaching this. If that was the design goal, I think it's laudable. However, I find the execution lacking. That's just my personal take on how the game plays. I definitely appreciate your post, though, and agree with a lot of what you had to say.

To me, Civ games have always felt rather like board games that just make use of the advantages of a computer (maybe because I started with Civ I, which pretty much was exactly that), and I say that in a good way.
I dunno, maybe it's just the hexes and 1UPT and the strategic view and the whole art deco style, but Civ V just feels board-gamey to me - and I might be way off base, but it feels deliberate.
Which is why it's such a shame that the diplomacy is so rubbish right now, because a board-gamey sort of game is exactly the sort of thing that can use lots of political wheeling and dealing and machiavellian backstabbing and all that.

Anyway thanks guys for the thoughtful, civil discussion; I've wasted too much time writing way too much here and I'm off to play some civ V :D

I gave it an eight. I couldn't give the game anything lower, being i've spent over two hundred hours playing. The AI is the largest issue, which subtracts 20 percent of the total score. Regarless, it is still very fun and addictive.

If you've played 4 you give it a 1. If this is your first Civ you give it an 8.

Insightful. I've played Civ 2-5. Civ5 has its shortfalls but I give it a 7 with mods. There are some areas I hope will be improved but overall I think it has some great improvements over Civ4.

edited out: I'm just too tired :p

I rated it a 3... not only because the game is boring and unbalanced, but also because of how presumptuous 2K Games was in releasing it and just assuming everyone would buy it for $50 at release just because it was a Civ title. I would sincerely like my money back because I'll probably never play it again regardless of how many band-aid patches they come out with.

Seriously... with all the awards this game is "winning," the only reasoning I can come up with is that all these people are very casual Civ gamers who have never seen it, play it for an hour or two, rate it, and then will never look at it again. Too bad I had to pay $50 for the same exact experience! :nuke:

Interesting. 51.69% of people so far have given it a score of 5 or less.

Interesting. 51.69% of people so far have given it a score of 5 or less.
Öjevind Lång;10115053 said:
Some of the complaints against Civ V are plain ridiculous. "I want to punch that old man in the introductory movie in the face." "I don't like the guy who talks when I start a new game." "The 1 units/tile idea is a fiasco because I don't like it, so there!" "I've played Civ for many years, and I'm a long time poster in CFC, so my opinion of what a game should be like is worth that of 20,000 moronic newbies." "I keep the game running for thousands of hours while doing other things just to show that the statistics about how popular it is are a lie." And so on.

Hope I answered you well enough.

Rated it a 3.

The graphics are nice-ish. The hex-grid is also nice. There are also another couple of interesting touches and ideas. But other than that, I've stopped playing the game through sheer boredom. So, 3.

Rated 4. And I feel that was too generous. A lot of things in Civ V are not working as they should, and I don't mean "work like Civ 4", they just either don't work(bugs) or are not meant to work(balancing of Civs, Diplomacy etc). I'm staying with Civ IV as of now...

Who are you to tell me how to vote. I played 4 and gave it an 8.

You should have added IMHO or something :)

Cheers.

Rated a 4.

There are some nice interesting things that they did with the game. The graphics are nice (except for rivers and roads). I like that strategic resources only provide X amount of units and/or buildings. I like the hexes. The way that city borders grow one title at a time and form more interesting and historically reflective borders (though buying up land is a bit iffy). The reintroduction of ranged siege weapons (I completely loathed suicide catapults).

For an average gamer like me, the one unit per tile was quite nice and could result in some interesting and fun wars. For the much more dedicated and hardcore gamers, I understand the frustration and ease in which the AI can be defeated with 1UPT.

What really killed me is that the "story" is not there any more. I still remember those great holy wars me and my allies went on against our enemies. The Jewish Japanese and Zulus taking on the Buddhist Germans and Americans. Helping my allied nation defend themselves from aggressors. Securing a UN victory after taking the lead of a bloc of allied civilization for hundreds and hundreds of years. CiV doesn't have that. Sooner or later everyone is going to be attacking you.

It's impossible to be builder in this game. The construction cost of units and buildings are outrageous. Clicking through waiting and waiting is no fun. The time between turns now, even earlier on is annoying when you are trying to get that desired unit/building/wonder built.

Desired victories needed to be chosen early on, especially cultural. I've always liked to play a Civ game as a story, and as I get near the end, try to shoot for the win that is best suited for my game. Not so much here in CiV.

I think that they wanted to make a new and revolutionary and outstanding Civ game. It seems that they were so bent on making the game in their vision that they failed to see the realities of the consequences of the design.

Maybe down the road I will check back and see the status of CiV, but for now, it does not hold my interest anymore.

I wasn't going to rate it. I've played the Deluxe Edition for almost 250 hours according to Steam. I've got good value for my entertainment dollar.

Since I figure the game is about 70% complete, I gave it a 7.

I'm presently playing a civ IV scenario and I plan to keep playing those until the next patch.

I think V could be a cool multiplayer war game once it's debugged.

As for Single Player, when I played IV I always felt that the world was my canvas, that my options were plentiful, that there was so much to see and do that I'd have to play again to explore the road not taken. When I played V, as I got acquainted with the differences I often thought about a steer against a crowd-gate being forced down a funnel-shaped chute, or felt like an electric slot race car.

When I played IV, I chose a victory condition to pursue, but often changed gears, according to setbacks and opportunities. It was planning, preparing, improvising, adapting and overcoming. When I played V, it seemed the main decisions were leader and victory type to pursue, after that it seemed like I had to choose certain social policies or fall behind. As far as worker improvements, it's a matter of special resource-unlocking improvements, and trading posts everywhere else.

When I played IV I could concentrate on wonders, espionage, religion, diplomacy, etc. as a route to the top. When I play V, I feel like I'm encouraged to go to war.

If you haven't bought yet, I'd give Firaxis some more time to tinker with and complete the game. That way you're less likely to be frustrated or disapointed.

Hope I answered you well enough.

Right...

So all people that don't like Civilization 5 are like that. :lol:

Seriously, what is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom