• the AI non-mastery of the sea

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • bad city-focus and bad automated workers

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • the AI that never pays tribute in face of imminent danger

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • the AI lack of will in mass-invading other continents

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • the AI that can't use aircrafts properly (if they do use them..)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • the denouncing. sorry but...i don't like it

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • hostile civs asking for 10 luxuries for an open-border (yeah right!)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • barbarian ships.. eee what's their point?

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • liberated civs who call you a warmonger (didn't i just save your ...?)

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • no permanent alliance like in civ4? why???

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The denouncing system deffinitly.......... Just makes chain reactions that result in that every AI will hate you and atack you....

I don't know if it's play style, but I have not been chain denounced since the patch with the exception of one game where I went systematically from one AI to the next in order to conquer all the capitols. I've also managed to keep friends throughout the game (except in that one situation).

liberated civ calling you a warmonger is a bug and needs fixing

also early game "you are trying to win the same way shouldn't happen" plus the
wording should be changed something more immersive. on a side note what's with the "pointy sticks" and "shiny things" wording

ai not spending gold when in mortal danger is clearly an issue

of course combat ai needs more improving particularly naval invasions...

need some more positive modifiers around good trade, and saving ais butt in a war situation

a decay system on good and bad actions (like city state influence decay) might work well. if your war mongering penalties decayed over time that might help things

it would be great if you could take specific actions to atone for various diplomatic misdeeds. like renounce cs influence when getting the competing for the same cs penalty. then you could then make trades for forgiveness. like: i'll forgive your warmongering if you invade russia. i'll let you off of building taj mahal in exchange for x gold (call it foreign aid) etc.

i'd love to see trade agreements for foreign trade routes and cultural exchanges - each civ gets x culture per turn like cultural city states

The inability to create meaningful, genuine, long-lasting friendly diplomatic relations has forced me to turn to war as the only means of diplomacy.

exactly! there should be more things that we could do to repair/build relationships but not to a point where the AI could be manipulated though. as far as io know the only thing we can do is to return a settler/worker IF the situation occurs. that's lame.

I don't know if it's play style, but I have not been chain denounced since the patch with the exception of one game where I went systematically from one AI to the next in order to conquer all the capitols. I've also managed to keep friends throughout the game (except in that one situation).

Well the hole denouncing system is bad because once denounced it gives a bad reputation to all leaders..... Wich could result in that they will denounce you to or declare war nope just a bad option

Yeah, but they've changed the format slightly. Getting denounced by a friend hurts, but being denounced by an enemy doesn't. In fact, if they hate that person too, it might even help.

What I want to see is more incentive to be friendly with other civilization, rather than just disincentive to be hated by them. Basically, I think the current system focuses too much on punishing you for having bad relationships with other civilizations, rather than rewarding you for having good relationships with them. The only reasons I see to be friendly with them is to not be invaded by them and for them to be a little more reasonable when making trades (rather than refusing trades that are favorable to them just because they hate you). And when there's so much you can to do anger them, like expanding too much, doing any kind of conquest, or allying city states they wanted to ally, it's much harder to win the game without doing any of those, than it is to win the game by just being a douche to everyone and not caring what they think about you.

An example of a good improvement would be trade routes with AI civs. Obviously you would have to be really friendly with them for this to work, but there would actually be incentive to try getting friendly with other civs, and hopefully some incentive for them to not just suddenly decide to invade you.

I can't be the only one who finds it ridiculous that when they hate you, they'll be completely ridiculous and do stuff like demand all your luxury resources for one of theirs, when they could have actually have made a really good trade by accepting two of your luxury resources for one of theirs. But when you are really friendly with them and have done lots of good stuff for them, the best kind of trade you can get with them is still one that is equally beneficial to both parts, they never agree on taking the short end of the stick. So after all that effort you put into maintaining good relationships with other civs, all you get out of it is that they tolerate you. At least for me, that's not a very inspiring goal to strive for at all.

Although all of these AI issues have bothered me at some point when playing Civ V, my biggest complaint is probably the chain denunciations. Whenever one civ denounces me, it counts as a negative modifier towards other civs because "your friends have found reason to denounce you", which by the way, is no apparent reason at all.

For instance, I was playing a game as the Romans and my liberation of Ottoman civilians began a strong friendship which saw me giving him free gifts of luxuries when he asked and several research agreements. However, once I became engaged in a war with a civ that he had no ties to, he eventually denounced me for reasons I cannot explain, thus causing a massive chain denunciation. Thus I had to build up a massive army and wipe him off the map, as any good leader would do.

If you think about the time scale of the game though, you can kind of understand a bit more why the ai seems to turn on you a lot - a few turns to us can be tens or hundreds of years, so it's no wonder how one turn they can be hailing you and the next they seem to hate you.

AI giving you money for Luxuries/Open Borders it doesn't need
I don't know, I've had the AI refuse to pay for Open Borders if they already saw my territory. Unless you're saying that the AI gets dumber on Deity.

They also seem to refuse paying for strategic resources after a certain amount. I don't know about luxuries, but extra happiness is still happiness. And you can't trade them luxuries they already have.

I don't know, I've had the AI refuse to pay for Open Borders if they already saw my territory. Unless you're saying that the AI gets dumber on Deity.

They seem to refuse if they are not friendly, but always seem to accept when they are friendly, whether it would be beneficial from a human point of view or not. I pretty much never accept open borders, yet the AI does. That's a miscalculation on the part of one of us.

They seem to refuse if they are not friendly, but always seem to accept when they are friendly, whether it would be beneficial from a human point of view or not.
The AIs I tried selling Open Borders to were Friendly. And they didn't want to pay for it.

best thing are the watered armies of the KI .. waiting for my ships to come by, and sinking them without a fight. why cant the AI keep their troops on the landside, or at last protect them properly? and when the AI got some good naval units, they hardly uses them. Once Civ has been famous because of their great AI and their poor graphics. now its the other way around..

Main problem is the AI declares war recklessly. I always make a point of totally crushing any AI that declares war one me, but often I don't get the chance because they all want their turn declaring war on me. Sadly of course they don't learn from their mistakes and next game is just as silly.

As I've said in another thread, it's like playing civ4 against all psyco Montezumas.

A civilization that I had to declare war on, and then played defensively would be a much harder nut to crack than one who declares on me before they are ready and then kamazazis all his units into my defenses letting me clean up afterwards.

Give me some links to specific parts of playthroughs then.

CIV IV has an outstanding AI. Especially in the later Mods. Sometimes the AI comes pretty close to human behaviour.

If I adopted the same civic as a human player, would he care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom