New to Civ 5- Any reccomended mods?

Galgus

Emperor
I am new to Civilization 5 as well as the entire civilization series, having picked up the game in the last Steam summer sale.

I don't own the G&K expansion, and I am looking for mods that might make the game more fun before I go much deeper into the game.

So I am looking for mods reccomended by the Civ5 community.

(As a sidenote, how good is G&K? I'm thinking of picking it up in some future Steam sale when the price fits my budget better.)

I have played a few games already, and found that I strongly prefer Marathon mode
because I like the slower rate of change in the world and the rate of unit movement relative to civilization advancement present in the mode.

I prefer Massive map size because I like a more complicated diplomatic situation, more room to explore, and how knocking a single nation down doesn't mean as much.

If they or something like them exist, I'm looking for a few things in particular:

1. A mod that adds a nomadic phase to the game- giving players more room to explore the world rather than settle their first city wherever fate decided to place them.

(I have an idea of how an age like this could work, but I am wondering if it already exists or not.)

2. A random map generator that creates more small islands. There seems to be little middle ground between all-out island mode and Continents.

Continents seems to only ever generate two decently habitable islands, and loves to put City-States on them that do not seem to be raze-able.

3. A mod that allows players to raze City-States to the ground, to free up the space their cities occupy as needed.

4. A mod that postpones Barbarians from producing Galleys until sometime closer to the Classical era.

I like to play as Polynesia and immediately search the oceans for a suitable isolated island to call home- an often fruitless and restart-worthy tactic.

Thus, I am hoping for a map with more suitable islands without being a map where everyone is on an island.

EDIT: I apologize that this may be in the wrong forum.

I am new to Civilization 5 as well as the entire civilization series, having picked up the game in the last Steam summer sale.

I don't own the G&K expansion, and I am looking for mods that might make the game more fun before I go much deeper into the game.

So I am looking for mods reccomended by the Civ5 community.

(As a sidenote, how good is G&K? I'm thinking of picking it up in some future Steam sale when the price fits my budget better.)

I have played a few games already, and found that I strongly prefer Marathon mode
because I like the slower rate of change in the world and the rate of unit movement relative to civilization advancement present in the mode.

I prefer Massive map size because I like a more complicated diplomatic situation, more room to explore, and how knocking a single nation down doesn't mean as much.

If they or something like them exist, I'm looking for a few things in particular:

1. A mod that adds a nomadic phase to the game- giving players more room to explore the world rather than settle their first city wherever fate decided to place them.

(I have an idea of how an age like this could work, but I am wondering if it already exists or not.)

2. A random map generator that creates more small islands. There seems to be little middle ground between all-out island mode and Continents.

Continents seems to only ever generate two decently habitable islands, and loves to put City-States on them that do not seem to be raze-able.

3. A mod that allows players to raze City-States to the ground, to free up the space their cities occupy as needed.

4. A mod that postpones Barbarians from producing Galleys until sometime closer to the Classical era.

I like to play as Polynesia and immediately search the oceans for a suitable isolated island to call home- an often fruitless and restart-worthy tactic.

Thus, I am hoping for a map with more suitable islands without being a map where everyone is on an island.

EDIT: I apologize that this may be in the wrong forum.

I do not know of any mods (I am fairly new as well). If you have a lot of time on your hand I would try the R.E.D. WWII mod but be warned, they tend to be very long games.

Polynesia is a good choice as a nation. One of the benefits of their immediate water crossing is that your naval units that shouldn't be able to cross oceans can. Its really useful for building ironclads as they are more powerful then their predecessors but normally have to stay along the coast.

If you're new to the game, I would suggest playing it as is or grabbing the expansion before trying to modify everything.

Points 1, 3 and 4... not likely going to find any of that, and I wouldn't suggest holding off on starting your capitol city for more than 1 turn and only with good reason - those first turns are vital. You might find a mod that allows burning of CSs (it bothers a lot of us) but the problem with doing so is that there are game mechanic reasons for keeping you from burning them (they're tied to diplo victories).

As for 2... there aren't a lot of map scripts right now actually, so options are limited there. You might try playing on the 'small continents' map type.... probably not exactly what you're looking for, but you can't expect to be isolated on an island every game. :)

Play the game as it is before you add mods!

Why altering a game you don't even understand or played?

Play it a few times on different maps and with different strategies, THEN you might know what you need to make the game more exciting.

Get G&K, then you're level with us, maybe get a few more civs from DLC's.

Don't start a game with mods, until you know the game.

If you're new to the game, I would suggest playing it as is or grabbing the expansion before trying to modify everything.

Points 1, 3 and 4... not likely going to find any of that, and I wouldn't suggest holding off on starting your capitol city for more than 1 turn and only with good reason - those first turns are vital. You might find a mod that allows burning of CSs (it bothers a lot of us) but the problem with doing so is that there are game mechanic reasons for keeping you from burning them (they're tied to diplo victories).

As for 2... there aren't a lot of map scripts right now actually, so options are limited there. You might try playing on the 'small continents' map type.... probably not exactly what you're looking for, but you can't expect to be isolated on an island every game. :)

While getting to a lucky island within the first 15 turns is preferable to me, I've taken to just settling the first city near where fate places me and using the Warrior to find a good island for the second.

It tends to help me wonder spam easier, since suitable islands are notorious for city-state infestation and less production from natural tiles.

Thanks for the reply.

Play the game as it is before you add mods!

Why altering a game you don't even understand or played?

Play it a few times on different maps and with different strategies, THEN you might know what you need to make the game more exciting.

Get G&K, then you're level with us, maybe get a few more civs from DLC's.

Don't start a game with mods, until you know the game.

I have played through it some, but your probably right.

I'm just not wanting to get burned out of it over some flaws that mods may or may not be able to solve- like I did with Skyrim.

(I love Skyrim's graphics and quests, but the combat just gets easy and shallow later on.)

1. VEM (or GEM). It is a balance mod & also improves UI greatly. Many changes from this mod were later included in official patches from Firaxis.
  2. Infoaddict for extra details & graphs.
  3. You may also try CSD. Personally I think CS are fine in G&K.

Is VEM balanced for Marathon mode at all?

I'm a bit scared off by them recommending it for normal, and Marathon is kind of all I play.

If you are willing to shell out a few dollars for it, the Explorer's Map Pack DLC includes Continents Plus and Pangaea Plus scripts, which I believe tend to create more island chains, although these are often inhabited by city-states. It also has pre-made maps of the Caribbean, Japan, British Isles, Bering Strait, and eastern North America and Amazon (A thick jungle world) and Sandstorm (An arid world with settlement clinging to river floodplains and oases) scripts.

Play the game without mods. Then get G&K - it's worth it. Then install RED (that's only graphic changes). And if you like detailed info - CivUp (detailed UI and tips). I personally don't like the latest CivUp (it's not displaying info I want to see). I like original feel of the game more after trying VEM, even though I really like random events.

Top Bottom