Changing game speed / flow to allow more units

dw0

Chieftain
Hi all,

I've read through several threads about game speed (e.g. this one) and still have a few questions of my own. I mainly play on Standard speed (on Standard or Large maps, Difficulty 5-7 with occasional Deity); I also played many games on Quick for achievement purposes and have no interest in actually playing the game on that speed. I'm considering Epic and possibly Marathon, but I want to have a few questions answered that I couldn't really gauge from existing threads:

1. What are the most noticeable gameplay flow differences between, say, Standard and Epic? I know that (for talented players) slower difficulties are easier because they allow human micromanagement to exceed the AI even further, and I know the basic "1.5x epic, 3.0x marathon" rules. But what are the biggest pragmatic differences?

1a. Does it become easier/harder to keep buildings up to speed with science progress?

1b. Do eras really feel like they "last longer" for wartime purposes (e.g. some Civs only get to crank out their cool UI once or twice before it's obsolete), rather than just "eras last longer but production takes longer too"?

1c. I know the game has some "fixed turn number values" wired into the core files that do not change with speed settings. Are any of these egregious enough to be noticed on Epic or Marathon? One example I know offhand is that if you start production on Unit X then switch to something else, your production progress on Unit X starts to decay after Y turns, and I don't think "Y" changes with game speed. Are any phenomena like this noticeable?

1d. Aren't city-state gifts the same in value regardless of game speed? Does this have a large noticeable effect on Diplo Victory between speeds?

2. Suppose hypothetically that I want eras to last longer for wartime purposes, i.e. so that my units don't become obsolete so quickly, but still be able to produce units at a good rate (and the AI too, of course). My only gripe whatsoever with 1UPT - which otherwise I don't mind - is that the slow unit production and high unit maintenance fees drive me to roam the world with an epic 6-man band, all with Logistics and March, mowing down anything in my path because no newly-produced unit can really match up against a small but highly promoted force like that (until nukes). Never do I get to ride into battle with a larger force, all from the same era, against a similarly large opposing force - which would be a highly tactical fight with 1UPT! Usually if anyone gets that many units amassed, half of them are already outdated by the most recent science tech. I hate marching halfway around the world to take out Venice when I know that by the time I get there, all my Composite Bows will have grayed out "Promote" symbols and Venice might have gotten strong enough that I need Crossbowmen :(

(Sometimes I capture a proxy city-state halfway around the world for the sole purpose of upgrading my world-conquering commando force... no joke.)

...in this hypothetical situation, what's the best option? It might not be "play on Epic" if the unit production time increases so much that you're still marching around with your handful of Level 8 Crossbowmen and not much else. It might be:

- Tweak the XML files or use a mod. I know some posters in the past mentioned upping the science tech requirements... but wouldn't messing with science requirements (and nothing else) have some bad effects? E.g. making some victory conditions much, much easier to attain than others? Do any mods fit this purpose well?

- Play Huge maps. My only distaste for Huge maps is that some victory conditions become exponentially tedious with a few more AI Civs. Conquering 7 other capitals is a breeze; conquering a few more on top of that can feel like a grind. The same can be said of Cultural Victory because more Civs tends to increase the likelihood of "that one runaway Civ" whose culture is hard to top even if you're almost at Dominant with 10 other Civs. My personal experience is that it's not that the challenge increases, so much as the tedium, since by the time you've captured 7+ capitals you're probably steamrolling everything with the exact same strategy every time.

In summary, I consider myself a fairly experienced Civ5 player, but only within my silo of Standard pace, Standard/Large map games. I'm looking for feedback from players whose silos are not so narrow :)

(In anticipated response to "why not play an Epic game and find out", I'll paraphrase a response in another thread: I want to come to a Civ discussion forum and discuss it first - which can also benefit others with the same questions. I have tried Epic games and found the earlygame a bit slow-paced... what I am asking here is whether I should stick with it for greater payoff, since there are probably a few dozen players who can answer that question in a few minutes' time.)

The mod I use is slower research. The mod maker had a great idea but terrible implementation... he made a version thats 30% slower research, then, after that, it shoots up to 160% I think then 300% slower. Which is asinine. I'm considering doing the mod over myself and making a 50% version and a 75% version.

The extra 30% means that the game moves as normal but research goes slower. So you get longer eras and wars in the younger ages. You have to be careful tho that if you make research so delayed that you may wind up with nothing to do but build unit after unit after unit, which can lead to economy problems. I tried a game with standard speed and marathon research... this was a bad idea. Basically everyone was broke because all we could do was build units. This could be countered eventually when you can simply put production into wealth so you aren't going broke by making all these units you have to then pay for some how.

I am just switching over and making this exploration of slower speeds myself. I'm a standard man.

You will feel the lag definately, but as for practical changes:

1. I found myself growing a bit faster and improving a bit better because worker improvement turns weren't scaled enough to pace production. Aka, my main cities got a bit better quicker and workers got ahead of growth. same with growth itself but mainly bc of improvements and deals. I noticed they all scaled, but I guess the micromanagement thing accumulated because it WAS better long-term.

2. Gold output and trading amounts aren't scaled at all. Meaning deals can be bought for the same gold and therefore placed earlier since there are more turns. Of course the influence decays same rate too so you could argue you have them for "shorter" periods but it still means you can place deals earlier and more frequently since gold output is the same every turn.

3.CS gifting stuff isn't scaled at all as far as I can tell. This is where the gold stuff really showed up. I have more turns to get the same amount of gold which I can then crank into deals. I was able to pay off several CS's with high gold amounts in the fairly early BC's which I've never had the gold to do before. Same argument as above though, theoretically you have them for shorter periods but you get the same gold over that period again, meaning deals can be placed earlier AND more frequently, so in effect it is the same in the long run, deals just start earlier.

4. war was affected the most. I found more time to invest in units and the longer time-frames meant my units weren't obsoleting halfway through every war. This was very fun.

5. I think I had time for more buildings but I was also doing some units and wonders so it was hard to tell. The micromanagement stuff kinda snowballs if you can get early production though.

You actually brought up some stuff I hadn't thought about but there's my input. I'd like to hear these questions answered too. :)

1. What are the most noticeable gameplay flow differences between, say, Standard and Epic? I know that (for talented players) slower difficulties are easier because they allow human micromanagement to exceed the AI even further, and I know the basic "1.5x epic, 3.0x marathon" rules. But what are the biggest pragmatic differences?

Units take longer to build, so if the AI loses an army, it is disadvantaged for a very long time. Likewise, so are you.

1a. Does it become easier/harder to keep buildings up to speed with science progress?

Harder at first, about the same in the middle, probably easier later. It depends on your expansion.

1b. Do eras really feel like they "last longer" for wartime purposes (e.g. some Civs only get to crank out their cool UI once or twice before it's obsolete), rather than just "eras last longer but production takes longer too"?

Ancient and Classical feel like the latter unfortunately, especially Ancient. However, the feel changes (IMO) around the time you get pikes. Thereafter, it feels like you have a longer time to play with units.

- Tweak the XML files or use a mod. I know some posters in the past mentioned upping the science tech requirements... but wouldn't messing with science requirements (and nothing else) have some bad effects? E.g. making some victory conditions much, much easier to attain than others? Do any mods fit this purpose well?

If you have a time victory enabled, it will screw things up a bit. Likewise, screwing with science costs without messing with other values such as culture and religion will lead to unlocking cultures earlier than you really should.

- Play Huge maps.

I love huge maps, but everything you said is correct still.

What I've done a few times is tweak marathon so unit build times are standard. This had, err, interesting results though. You can feasibly build so many units early on (because you need to because neighbors) than your economy starts tanking. Moreover, the AI tries not to go bankrupt when it declares war, and if the army is expensive, the chance of them attacking the one guy in range they can trade with is nil.

So I just attached a trade routes to some common buildings so there are redundant trade routes possible, and the AI has a freer hand to act. Results have been amusing, and I'm sure they'd be more so on smaller maps.

There's a mod called "quick speed unit production" made by primogenitor on the workshop that affects only units but not buildings or settlers. I love it. You don't run into over producing problems and the game pace isn't totally screwed up but you can still have some great wars on marathon because it isn't so easy to wipe out an entire army.

Top Bottom