Replacing Earth Map?

fuzzy3

Chieftain
I have another question that I need help from the Civ veterans here... :D

I just recently managed to get my old Civilization 1 working again and feel like doing a game or ten.

Coincidentally, I've been studying various map projections & I'm inspired to re-do the Earth map based on a more "advanced" projection (e.g. Winkel Tripel used by the National Georgraphic Projection, OR Wagner VI used by Wikipedia) before I play. Of course, in Civilization 1, the Earth map is a hard-coded option. I'm wondering if I do get some map editing done, whether there is an easy way to replace that map.

Yiren.

What most people do is edit a map for a saved game and then just keep reusing it. Dack's terraform program allows you to edit the maps and then using the option of 'Set to 4000 BC', you can reuse the map of a saved game and yet start a new game.
There is also Darkpanda's jCivED program which allows you to edit maps. Well both programs allow you to load a map and edit it.
If you still want to change the default map, the file is called map.pic, and Darkpanda's program allows you to either edit that map, or change the name of the map you use. Warning, the name must the same amount of characters (I found out the hard way) including the period.

Everything I've talked about I have mentioned in another thread that you might want to look at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533510&highlight=map

Also, we do have a search function for the forum, you could find a lot on here (like maps other people have made). Just click search and then you can limit it to just civ 1, and viola, you can search the forums. :) I've been a part of the forums for 2.5 years, and I've seen a lot of progress in the understanding of civ.

What most people do is edit a map for a saved game and then just keep reusing it. Dack's terraform program allows you to edit the maps and then using the option of 'Set to 4000 BC', you can reuse the map of a saved game and yet start a new game.

There is also Darkpanda's jCivED program which allows you to edit maps. Well both programs allow you to load a map and edit it.

If you still want to change the default map, the file is called map.pic, and Darkpanda's program allows you to either edit that map, or change the name of the map you use. Warning, the name must the same amount of characters (I found out the hard way) including the period.

Everything I've talked about I have mentioned in another thread that you might want to look at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533510&highlight=map

Also, we do have a search function for the forum, you could find a lot on here (like maps other people have made). Just click search and then you can limit it to just civ 1, and viola, you can search the forums. :) I've been a part of the forums for 2.5 years, and I've seen a lot of progress in the understanding of civ.

Thanks, Kirkham7, for your very comprehensive & friendly replies to all three of my threads! This reply, in particular, is very helpful & useful.

Yeah, I know I could search. The truth be told, I have been lurking on-&-off for years now, so I feel that a little active posting allows me to be a little more a part of the community. Ha ha. (Musings of an old man perhaps.) And it worked, you & I have made a connection here. Really nice to "chat" from a kindred soul. :lol:

I will check out the thread & the map editors that you suggested. This gives me hope that I can go straight to the "fun" of editing a map. If I create an Earth map that I really like, I'll definitely share it with everyone! :)

Yiren.

Top Bottom