Deity Domination: Slow Science

BurnBabyBurn

Warlord
On Normal Spead: Put my Libraries and NC up by turn 95..(little late but was fighting tons of wars) and then not long after up with Unis and Oxford... I was never in the tech lead, maybe 2nd awhile. Which to me is odd, so many other players are in the tech lead via this method? I had 3 cities, and I loaded them with food/caravans... Goal was Xboxs-Arty = Conquest

Well, just finished a dreadful 300 turn game, I had artillery first, 3 Capitols and was about to launch an attack upon my arch Ally, the Aztecs. Though I let them war with Netherlands and to make a long story short. They ate the Netherlands in about 10 turns and then were unstoppable. They had 3 times the military I did and I was playing as Germany(which really doesn't have a great UU for the earlier conquests) What even HURT worse for me was the fact that the Aztecs were behind some severe mountain ranges and I had to slip through a narrow 2 hex plain to get to their juicy Real Estate. I do not think I could have at Normal Speed launched a massive killer attack.

The Panzer doesn't hold much weight to say a Modern Infantry. It's pretty good vs say Artillery/Rifleman/etc... though anything reasonably modern eats it. Sort of would be nice if each Nation had a stronger UU. I thought that this would be a great challenge. With no reloading though you cannot go back and re-learn without playing from the beginning all over again.

Hey,

I don't think you get to the lead so early, unless you're having a wonderful early game. Just go for Rationalism (Porcelain tower if you have the extra hammers or a GE for some reason) and spam research agreements, while you make sure you try to undermine the Science leader by buying off other AIs to fight him (sometimes the AI just snowballs, and catching up it's almost impossible without the help of others. E.g. Korea/Pacal often).

Regarding to the Aztecs, I would have tried to defend and wait for more advance techs (flights/paratroopers/Rocket Artillery) and go for a combined attack on them (together with another AI).

Every city you found, puppet, or annex(except when you select raze when you initially acquire the city) permanently increases the tech cost by %5. Puppets usually have poor science since they focus on gold.

Hey,

I don't think you get to the lead so early, unless you're having a wonderful early game. Just go for Rationalism (Porcelain tower if you have the extra hammers or a GE for some reason) and spam research agreements, while you make sure you try to undermine the Science leader by buying off other AIs to fight him (sometimes the AI just snowballs, and catching up it's almost impossible without the help of others. E.g. Korea/Pacal often)

If you're going for XB-arty conquest, you'll not be getting porcelain tower for sure. You need the hammers for war and if you have a GE, use it on prora if you get that far. Also gl with RA when you're warmonger. I think the key is to kill science lead using arty before they have a chance to get air.

Note that cities in resistance produce no science and they add the tech penalty cost if you don't raze them.
Should really only puppet capital cities and later use them for bases for rush buy when you annex. Either ignore the other cities or raze them if you have to capture them if they block your path of conquest. If razing them gives too much unhappiness, sell the city to someone else. I make an exception and may keep a puppet non capital city if it has good world wonders or exceptional dirt with good lux

If you want the tech lead by conquest ca. T150, start warring at CBs.

I appreciate some of the more advanced information here. I think it's hard to apply any one strategy to one game. I have found that some games are just unwinnable by the choices you make. Each require a certain approach on Deity and a tiny mess up will destroy your chances of coming back and winning. I broke down an surrendered that game as Germany and started one as China instead. I got two Mountain Cities, built two Observs...kept just 3 cities...a strong early military to keep the AI out of of war... kept the AI at war so they stopped with the non-stop RAs.(this has been instrumental in me in getting to 500 plus Science by the 1700s AD)

I have taken 4 Capitols but I still have a very very strong and remote Germany/Spain to conquer. I will say the starting position was ideal and the UU for China is just unbelievable. Despite being a Warmonger I have liberated a civ and kept Spain(who is an evil little lady on my side and kept my own RAs) Plus spawning the mad heck out of Great Scientists. I may actually win this but I am not counting my chickens. I have never really used modern military units as I never usually get that far before a winner is declared.

It has really helped to be the "Congress Leader!" Very essential to get the 3 factories... Also to rewind the age of the world so you get more hammers out of at least 1 or 2 cities.

Now how do you swim? Japan and Germany across an Ocean...

P.S. the most ESSENTIAL gift I have learned NEVER give away your embassy ... = Being settled on (If you are ready for war sure but if you're not it's inviting the settler spam)

Early Trade Routes with other Civs(for the Science Boost is bigger than the NC at first)

Spying is GREAT

Also Good lord, The Great Wall is terrible(taken me 50 turns to conquer Netherlands with it)

1: What turn are you getting to Dynamite?
2: Did you know you can use Great Generals to spike your way into the Great Wall? ;)

1. Turn 196(normal speed)

2. Also, I had not thought to use Great General Spikes to get through The Great Wall. These Mountains, Peninsulas are very hard to navigate and conquer. Game has gone into a massive overtime and now I'm building Nukes to finish off the last 2 Capitols.

1: What turn are you getting to Dynamite?
2: Did you know you can use Great Generals to spike your way into the Great Wall? ;)

Top Bottom