Lancers, Lancers and more Lancers.

ExpiredReign

Deity
I have never before tried these units, I know I should have, but since the last game gave me so many Horse resources (22 :eek:)I thought I would at least give them a go, you know instead of just going with Dragoons.

Well knock me over! These guys are brilliant.

I could send two ranks of Lancers against any foe or city and just "attack, swap with the rear row, attack, rinse and repeat".
Their mobility means nothing really hinders them; hills, forest, jungle or marsh, it doesn't matter. Just send them on in.

At first I thought I might need to bring along some crossbows or cannon. Nope, don't need them, though I did also have naval bombardment support ( a couple of early era ships I hadn't yet upgraded). Just my lone Dragoon to actually take the city and then some other unit to garrison in it afterward.

So I don't know, did I just strike a lucky couple of battles or are these really the uber unit?

I have to agree that Lancers are pretty strong. But I would not go so far as to say they are too strong because A) they are limited by the number of horse resources you have B) cannot capture cities C)they use ranged attacks which makes them relatively weak at killing other ranged units. IMO, they have their sweet spot of effectiveness, then get outclassed by more technologically advanced units.

I like the new lancers.

(Have not played since GEM broke, but won a domination victory as Rome on Emperor yesterday. Standard speed, standard size, continents plus, turn 226. Won while I was researching industrialization; Time to move up to immortal!)

IMO the range attacks le them a bit too strong because of their mobility. Their strength is weak but they almost never get hurt. And with the early blitz prom they becomes a bit OP.

I like the ranged attack for the the AT canons but I disapprove it for the lancers.
It's too strong bounded with mobility, it cancels the UU of Ashkai (?) and it makes no sense on the realism side.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

It would appear this thread will soon be a moot point, as of the next release Lancers are once again back to being MELEE.

I'm gonna get crap for this but ohhhhh well, I bought him a few games on steam.... hes logged some hours on one of them... I think he loves Sots 1 by the looks of things. (runs as rocks get thrown at him) :hide:

I really enjoyed ranged Lancers. When I had do deal with cities that where near rivers and hard to attack ie going in to attack would result in high loses Lancers were perfect for getting hits in and getting out safely. Yes I do miss Poland's unique knock back lancers but these 1 tile range lancers worked out way better than I thought.

I'm gonna get crap for this but ohhhhh well, I bought him a few games on steam.... hes logged some hours on one of them... I think he loves Sots 1 by the looks of things. (runs as rocks get thrown at him) :hide:

oh, it means no patch for weeks then :lol:

Top Bottom