BNW - Odd behavior with Forts / Citadels

Martock

Warlord
In my entire time of playing Civ V, I've never seen the AI construct a fort or witnessed it using a GG to make a Citadel. I've seen a few AI citadels, but NOTHING like I'm seeing now. The AI seems to be spamming these both now with little thought to the other benefits of a GG or where to place them. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Mind you, I'm HAPPY :goodjob: that they're constructing forts and plopping down Citadels but this does seem a bit excessive.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm playing on Deity.

See attached pics.

I haven't seen this to the extent you have but I have seen the mongols use a citadel to steal the gold luxury away from a city state. I was impressed.

I've seen a city-state build a fort in the game I am currently playing. It's kind of funny because it's been a long time ally of mine, and it built the fort immediately adjacent to my land. What, don't you trust me?

I was surprised to see that the AI suggested I build a fort on hills between two mountain tiles where I was about to build a mine.

Its certainly a nice addition, I haven't seen a fort in the game since I built some in my very first games.

I saw Chaka do something similar in my game to the Shoshone. He built citadels all the way into their adjacent city.

Annoyingly, whenever I select my Great General now, the "suggestions" symbol for a citadel appears all over the map in random spots that don't make sense (inside the second ring of a city, near neither resources nor an opposing city). Placing my great people improvements is not why I have suggestions on, game.

I've not noticed the suggestions for the GG as I don't get them very often but it's crazy if it's randomly suggesting places. I LIKE that the AI is using them but it's just crazy how MUCH they are using them.

I'm only on my first game and I've never seen Citadels like that but I am playing a heavy jungle map and was surprised when my I selected my worker and the recommendations popped up on a couple of jungle tiles to build forts! I have never seen that before but if it showed up for me I imagine the AI workers might actually start building forts

To explain that picture, I think there's two points. One, they obviously had a huge amount of Great Generals. Deity might contribute to that because of increased production, being the Zulu certainly helped as well.

The other part is this. The Zulu built a Citadel to steal territory from Katowice, so Katowice built one to take it back. Some of those citadels seem to be a mistake, but they also seem to have the goal of stealing Katowice's citadel (which would cause the units in the city to get damaged each turn). That part, at least, was intelligent. Certainly, if you have five+ great generals, you might as well go for something like that (although maybe for a better city).

Actually, the Citadel in front of Katowice went up first, then the Zulu responded. The entire time, both the Poles and the Zulu were at war. Then outta the blue, Shaka marched up 4 GG's and dropped the remaining citadels. Not sure what he did with that last GG as the Poles never bothered to kill them. Not sure why they didnt kill those GG's as the Poles had a ton of forces in the area. Wish they'd program the AI to remove unnecessary forts / citadels later.

Weird. Why didn't the first Zulu citadel take territory then?

Not only that, I am seeing the AI NOT committing suicide against citadels anymore... now THAT is a change.

Lucky you! I lost many important ressources (gems/uran etc) in lategame due to 3 exellent citatel placement. And 2 of those 3 were by egypt i wasnt even in war with, he just wanted my uran etc -.- !

Very happy smart use of generals there

Weird. Why didn't the first Zulu citadel take territory then?

No idea. I just know that the Poles dropped theirs first. I had been monitoring that area for ages due to the fact that I was forcing all the AI's to funnel their armies through the Zulu lands by keeping my borders closed.

Top Bottom