Planeshift's Dumb Mod

Planeshift

Chieftain
(name pending)

What is it?

A total conversion fantasy mod for Civilization V, that starts from the Ancient Times and goes to the equivalent (somewhat) of our Modern Era.

I've been working on this for quite some time, and I think I have reached a point of a technical alpha, somehow. I can now present the work I've done and cry a lot after everyone starts saying how bad it is.

Features

• Revamped Technology Tree: Now separated into three categories (Ind. & Army, Eco. & Sci, Rel. & Magic)
  • New Buildings, Wonders, Units
  • Reworked and new Policies
  • New Civilizations (4 as of this Alpha)
  • Religion has been reworked: you use faith to buy beliefs, and Great Prophets are earned like other Great People.
  • Some Units can cast spells: Send Fireballs at your enemies, summon Skeletons and Elementals to do your bidding.
  • No more Great Writers, Great Musicians and Guilds : Great Artists can be generated through various normal buildings and are the only one creating Great Works. No more Archaelogists either.
  • More things!

Screenshots

Direct imgur album with bigger images : here

Spoiler :

Download

You have three things to download.

First: The Community Patch. Before, I was simply using the DLL – Various Mod Components made by whoward69, but given the Community Patch is basically this DLL expended, I see no point not using it. You can download it here. IMPORTANT NOTE : You ONLY NEED the Community Patch, as in the DLL modification, to be activated. Do NOT activate other mods in the package, like the Community Balance Patch, the Civ IV Features, and so on.

Second: The PDM Art Assets mod. Although there's not much yet, it contains all the current new media for the mod, namely icons and splashes. You can download it directly here from dropbox.

Third: The PDM itself. You can download it on the civfanatics database here, or directly from dropbox here

However, to play this mod, you need all the expansions and (probably) all the DLC. I tried not to use too much from the DLC, but I ended up using a lot of icons from there, so if some icons or unit models seem to be missing (or if the mod crashes), it may be due to that.

Compatibility

This is a total conversion mod, so, give or take... none. Do not even try to use the EUI: it'll most likely cause a conflict, given that I modded the UnitPanel, among other things.

Technical Alpha notes

I recommend you read the Dev Status for more information about the mod, but for now, there are no clear-cut victories conditions, the IA cannot use Spells nor Religion (and do not go for those techs anyway), and several things are missing. Most notably, Arcane Units do not have access to all spells: only some of them are done. As of now : the Fire, Water and Earth domains are complete. Necromancy and Healing have the first two Tier, Air has only the first Tier, and that's it.

Apart from that, the mod is somewhat working. Test Civilizations (8 civs from the base game) are still there because, without them, the mod will silently crash at the end of the loading. I'll remove them as soon as new civilizations are done.

Credits

Although I put a text file in the mod, I'm sure most of you won't read it. However, I really wish for people to read at least the introduction, so I put it here again to thank all of the wonderful people that made this mod possible.

Spoiler :

A big thanks to the Civilization community, especially on the civfanatics forums. Without them, this mod would not be possible.

Special thanks to the creators of Fall from Heaven for Civilization IV, and the subsequent "modmods", especially Fall Further and Rise from Erebus.
You made me lose many precious hours of my life, and inspired me to do the same to other people one day. Thanks for that ;)

Another thank you to FramedArchitect, whoward69, Gazebo and Pazyryk from the civfanatics forums, and so many other that added to the overall knowledge of the modders.
Their continuous contributions allowed me to work on this project. Especially the DLL from whoward : let's be honest, without him, this wouldn't exist.

I was inspired by many projects, and I revamped codes from many mods. Here is the list of the "biggest" mods I used to copy code from (among other things) :
- Community Call To Power (CCTP), for the categorized techtree based on the original one by Firesforever
- Community Patch (and all "derived" mods), for too many things.
- Éa, for the basic database especially.
- Faerun, the "original" (as in one of the first) fantasy mod for Civ 5 that was updated for each expansion.

Thanks for reading, and if you can, have fun while playing!

Mod Info

Some game info for the mod.

New Civilizations
Spoiler New Civilizations :
As of now, there are 8 new Civilizations, all fully playable (not all fully tested though, especially the Vennor). I compiled here some basic informations and some quick tips. Note that, for Unique (Units and buildings), I only added the difference with the base unit/building. For example, +1 Culture from the Catacombs mean it gives +2 Culture and +1 Faith (compared to the +1 Culture and Faith from the Cemetery).

Spoiler Ambeldia :

Ambeldia
Leader – Elvianne (Female)

Trait – Magic Supremacy
+10 % Magic Proficiency for all your Arcane Units, and you train Arcane Units 15% faster. Whenever you finish researching a Technology that unlocks a new domain of Magic, all your current Arcane Units gain access to that domain.

Unique Unit – Arcane Student
Replaces the Adept. Slightly higher Magic Proficiency. Start with the Promotion « Arcane Study », which doubles the experience gained from spells.

Unique Unit – Wielder of Fire
Replaces the Swordsman. Less Strength, but do not require Iron and start with « Fire Hand », which gives it Magic Proficiency and the ability to use Fireball. This Promotion is lost upon upgrade.

Unique Unit – Battle Mage
Replaces the Arcanist. Higher Strength than normal. Can use the Spell « Empowerement », which grants the Spellcaster Strength based on its Magic Proficiency and gives it the ability to attack in Melee.

Unique Unit – Alchemist's Mortar
Replaces the Cannon. Available at Alchemy instead of Gunpowder. Range of 3 instead of 2, higher Ranged Strength.

Unique Building – Ambeldian College
Replaces the School of Philosophy. Slightly more Culture and Science, and Arcane Units trained in the City receive the Promotion « Arcane Study ».

Unique Building – Fantasmagorical Zoo
Replaces the Zoo. Slightly less Maintenance, and provides additional Tourism and Culture.

About Ambeldia :

A Civilization prone on magic warfare, Ambeldia has some incredible tools to get an edge in wars, mostly with Unique Arcane Units who simply crush every opponent with their spells. However, the sad truth is that Arcane Units are still weak in melee combat, so you still have to take care of them or your incredible wizard army will simply die to some well-aimed bullets in their heads.

Spoiler Balchevia :

Balchevia

Leader - Sofia (female)

Trait – Endless Study
After researching Education, whenever you research a new Technology, you gain your current Science output towards any new technology. If you're the first to discover the Technology, the bonus is doubled.

Unique Unit – Balchevian Crossbowman
Replaces the Crossbowman. Cheaper than the Crossbowman. Can attack twice a turn, but its attack are greatly reduced against Cities.

Unique Unit - Doshtenov
Replaces the Caravel. Way cheaper to build. Additional movement and sight range, but this is lost upon upgrading.

Unique Building – Balchevian University
Replaces the University. One additional Scientist slot, +5% Science.

Unique Building – Book Binder
Replaces the Printing Works. +10% Culture, +10% Science. Whenever you create a Great Work, the City produces its current output of Culture in Culture.

Unique Building - Balchevian Academy of Magic
Replaces the School of Wizardry. One Scientist slot. +15% Production towards Arcane Units.

Unique Building - Balchevian Mindshop
Replaces the Factory. Grants +2 Science. Whenever you discover a new Technology from the Industry and Army category, you gain additional Production in this City equals to twice its current output in Production. Only works when training Units or constructing Buildings.

About the Balchevian :

Overpowered or not, I don't know, but their trait sure gives them an incredible edge in Research, making them as versatile as you wish them to be. However, they pay the price of not having any amazing unique units nor incredible buildings, compensating slightly for their trait.

Spoiler Hacinkar :

Hacinkar

Leader - Akdabet (male)

Trait – Zealous Preachers
Whenever you add a new Belief to your Religion, free Missionaries appear in your Holy City (or a random City you own with this Religion as its Majority). The number of Missionaries depends on the type of Belief (Major or Minor) and the size of the Map.

Unique Improvement - Kocayla
Cannot be built adjacent to another Kocayla. +2 Faith. +1 Science with Scientific Theory. +1 Gold with Economics. Can also be improved by various unique Buildings.

Unique Unit – Faith Warden
Replaces the Priest. Slightly higher Strength than the Priest, and can Attack. Starts with the Promotion « Faithful Guardian », increasing its Strength and Faith Proficiency by 15% when in Friendly Lands.

Unique Unit - Purificator
Replaces the Fanatic. Whenever this Unit captures a City, if you have a Religion, it fully converts the City to your Religion. Can only occur once per Purificator.

Unique Building – Uluktas Canals
Replaces the Aqueduct. +1 Food on Kocayla. Whenever a new Citizen is born in this City, if you have a Religion, you gain +1% Food in Kept Food for every follower of your Religion in this City (maximum of 10%).

Unique Building – Underground Hearth
Replaces the Foundry. +1 Production on Kocayla. Whenever the City finishes constructing a building, if you have a Religion, you gain +1 Production kept in Overflow Production for every follower of your Religion in this City.

Unique Building – Chamber of Echoes
Replaces the Opera. +1 Culture on Kocayla. Whenever you adopt a new Policy, if you have a Religion, you gain +3 Culture for every follower of your Religion in this City.

About Hacinkar :

Probably one of my favorite civs I worked on so far, the Hacinkarate use the very unique Kocayla, and boost it through various buildings and technologies. However, to truly master the Hacinkar and benefit fully from their various strengths, you NEED a Religion, so you NEED to rush for it. But once you do so, you can reap the benefits quite easily, and expand your Religion way beyond your borders.

Spoiler Korwatze :

Korwatze

Leader - Vleid (male)

Trait – Glorious Tomorrows
Whenever you enter a new Era, you enter a short (5 turns) Golden Age. While in a Golden Age, your Great People spawn 20% faster.

Unique Improvement – Pillar of Light
Can only be built adjacent to a Luxury Resource, and cannot be built next to another Pillar of Light. Requires Construction. Grants +2 Golden Age points and +1 Culture. With Nationalism, gain +2 Golden Age points, +1 Culture and +1 Gold.

Unique Unit – Korwatzen Marksman
Replaces the Sharpshooter. Higher Range. Starts with the Promotion « Indirect Fire ».

Unique Unit – Dawn Rider
Replaces the Cavalry. Gains Golden Age points when it defeats a Unit. Additional vision range.

Unique Building – Dreams Seller
Replaces the Apothecary. +25% towards Great People, +1 Happiness.

Unique Building – Heroes' Memorial
Replaces the Stadium. The City produces three times its current output in Culture whenever you expend a Great Person.

Unique Building - Dramasphere
Replaces the Cinema. Provides additional Golden Age points per Citizen.

About Korwatze :

A Civilization meant to pump Golden Ages after Golden Ages. Basically, if all goes smoothly, you just ride from one Golden Age into the other. However, as great as it is to be in more Golden Ages than anyone else, you still need to win the game, and you got to capitalize on this unique strength to do so. Fortunately, the Korwatzen got enough tools to reach for any kind of victory, making them quite versatile in the end, but still lacking a decisive strength.

Spoiler Mektair :

Mektair

Leader – Elkazir (male)

Trait – Aspect of Death
Your Religious Spellcasters Units have access to Necromancy spells. Gain Faith and Culture whenever you consume a Great Person.

Unique Unit – Death Caller
Replaces Monk. +50% Strength against Wounded Units.

Unique Unit – Flesh Golem
Replaces Golem. Heals at double rate, and heals whenever it kills a unit.

Unique Building – Catacombs
Replaces Cemetery. +1 Culture. +3 Production with Goety.

Unique Building – Mausoleum
Replaces Crypt. +1 Production, Religious Units are trained 20% faster.

Unique Building – Halls of the Dead
Replaces Necromancer's Tower. Arcane Units start with both Black Magic and Necromancy. Costs less (both in Production and Maintenance).

Unique Building – Flesh Sculptor
Replaces Museum. Improves Culture output, Happiness, and a slightly higher Tourism output.

About the Mektair :

The Mektair are mostly about Necromancy. They can go to war, but it's just easier for them to stay in their corner and focus on Religion and Magic. They get excellent bonus from those technologies, and can really pump up a lot of Skeletons from their Religious Spellcasters to defend themselves.

Spoiler Objazii :

Objazii

Leader – Juhïn (female)

Trait – Patronage of the Arts
Merchants provide +2 Culture. Whenever you expend a Great Merchant, you gain points towards a new Great Artist in your Capital.

Unique Unit – Bounty Hunter
Replaces the Composite Bowman. Deals less damage against cities, but increased damaged against land units. Gains 75% of the Strength of defeated Units as Gold.

Unique Unit – Court Sorcerer
Replaces the Sorcerer. Has the Promotion «Enchanted Festivities», which improves the Culture, Tourism and Happiness of Cities the unit is Garrisoned in. Also has a high boost in City Defense.

Unique Building – Objazii Market
Replaces the Market. Provides more Gold from Trade Routes. Two merchants slots (instead of one).

Unique Building – Great Vault
Replaces the Bank. Same stats as the Bank, but with two additional slots for Great Works. When placed in the Great Vault, they don't provide Culture nor Tourism, but instead provide more Gold.

Unique Building – Cabaret
Replaces the Opera. +1 Culture per 4 Population. +15% Great Person Rate.

Unique Building – Objazii Hotel
Replaces the Hotel. One Merchant slot, generate straight Tourism and more Tourism from the Culture from Improvements and from the Great Works.

About the Objazii :

The goal is to get filthy rich and have way more culture than everyone else. With that, you can do whatever you want, even if you don't have the Military (just buy it) or the Techs. The Objazii are, of course, most suited for the Culture Victory, but they still have some room for some other options.

Spoiler Shodumbre :

Shodumbre

Leader – Linmeya (female)

Trait - Soul of the Forest
+1 Food on Forests, +1 Production on Jungles. Non-Ranged Infantry Units get the promotion Woodsman.

Unique Improvement- Plant a Forest.
Replaces Farm. Plant a Forest on a valid tile.

Unique Unit – Druid.
Replaces Priest. Slightly higher strength, start with the spell Summon Treant.

Unique Unit – Ranger
Replaces Crossbowman. Can fire without being hindered by obstacles and moves twice as fast in Forest and Jungle tiles.

Unique Unit – Ent
Replaces Golem. Higher movement and combat strength in Forests and Jungles.

Unique Building – Paper Maker
Replaces Library. No maintenance, provide +2 Gold compared to the Library.

Unique Building – Carpenter's Shop
Replaces Brickworks. No base raw Production, but +1 Production on Forest Tiles.

About the Shodumbre :

The first Civilization I made for the mod! They're best suited for expansion, due to their lack of farms which greatly stop their ability to grow quickly. Expanding is key, and covering your empire with Forests tend to make you very hard to attack. With many productive cities thanks to the Carpenter's Shop, you tend to be able to suddenly flood the world with an army and get some quick and easy victories against unprepared opponents.

Spoiler Vennor :

Vennor

Leader – Decius (male)

Trait – Peacekeepers

Gain a bonus in diplomatic relations to other Civilizations when you are at war with a Civilization with a higher Warmonger Threat than you, but you get a stronger diplomatic hit when yours is higher. Your Military Units gain 5% Strength per level of difference between your Warmonger Threat and the level of Warmonger Threat of other Civilizations (only the highest Threat is counted).

Unique Improvement – Bastion
Replaces the Citadel. Can be built outside of friendly territories, but not in land controlled by other players.

Unique Unit – Radiant Guard
Replaces the Spearman. Slightly higher Combat Strength, gain Golden Age points whenever it defeats Barbarian Units.

Unique Unit – Crusader
Replaces the Knight. Stronger outside Friendly Territories, and has a higher strength than the Knight.

Unique Building – Vennor Courthouse
Replaces Courthouse. Costs no Maintenance and has a slightly lower cost. Maintenance of Buildings reduced by 20% instead of 15%.

Unique Building – Vennor Castle
Replaces Castle. Slightly higher Defense. Provides a slight bonus to the Gold and Science generated by the City.

Unique Building – House of War
Replaces Military Academy. Costs less than the Military Academy. +30% Production towards all Military Units.

About the Vennor :

Clearly inspired by the Bannor from Fall from Heaven (they even have Decius as their leader...), the Vennor are, despite their trait, best suited for a Domination Victory. However, you should not rush it, and should just use your big advantage against other early warmongerers to stomp them. Then, as soon as all opposition is firmly stopped, you can just forget about your worries, spam some Houses of War, and declare War to everyone on your path to World Dom... Peace. I mean World Peace.

Spellcasting

Spoiler Images :

Spoiler :
Two new main lines of units appeared: Religious Units and Arcane Units. Arcane Units use magic to cast their spells, and as such, use a new stat: Magic Proficiency. Religious Units use their own stats to cast their miracles: Faith Proficiency. Both are identical in the end, but Faith Proficiency is more variable and (as soon as I'll do the code) will depend much more on the Faith of your Empire. As such, a pious empire will benefit much more from his Religious spellcasters, while Arcane Units are more of a constant.

Moreover, Religious Units do not cast the same spells as Arcane Units (unless you get some Faith Powers). They can unlock new domains via some technologies (right now, none), but mostly through Faith and some Beliefs (a few are now available). On the other hand, Arcane Units unlock all of their domains via new technologies, but require experience earned through combat and repetitive casting to learn the spells.

Slightly less important, and barely related to Spellcasting but on the subject of Religious Units: a secondary line of Religious Units exist, and it's a «figthing» kind. Composed of the Monk/Fanatic/Mystic and the Avatar (a special case, given it's also the end of the Religious Spellcasters), those units are supposed to have their strength depend on the Faith of your empire. It's not coded, but eyh, at least, you know I intend to do so.

Arcane spellcasting relies on the idea of domains of magic, with subcategories, and an appropriate knowledge and mastery from the spellcaster. The basic line of arcane spellcasters is:

Novice > Adept > Magician > Sorcerer > Arcanist > Archmage

Novices can barely cast any spells.
Adepts have Magic 1, and can cast the first spell from domains they know.
Magicians have Magic 2, and can cast the first two spells from domains they know.
Etc.

The main domains are, as of now: Elementalism, White Magic, Black Magic. More are designed on the paper, but those are the basic ones.

In Elementalism, the sub-domains are Fire, Water, Earth and Air. As such, if an Adept has knowledge of Fire, he can cast Burn, the basic Fire spell, and Fireball, the level 2 Fire spell. If he becomes a Magician, he'll learn how to cast the level 3 spell.

Important note : Whenever you research Elementalism, all existing Arcane Units that you own receive the Elementalism Promotion. However, afterwards, only units trained in a City with a House of the Elementalists receive the Promotion for free.

Customize your Religion!
Spoiler Images :

Spoiler :
Great Prophets are not used for improving your Religion anymore. As of now, they are only used to spread your Religion (they'll get new abilities tied to the new Religion later on). To unlock new Beliefs, you simply need to reach a threshold. However, you are free to found and improve your religion whenever you feel like it. Faith generation has been greatly increased in the mod, but so are the choices: do you further improve your religion, or do you use your faith to buy more places of worship and religious units?

With a Fundamental Belief, three Major Beliefs and six Minor Beliefs, your Religion can be fully customized and ready to be spread to the rest of the world.

Note that some Beliefs are Unique (meaning only one Religion can have it), some are Places of Worship (you can only have one of that kind), some empower your Religious Units (by giving them access to various spells ; you can also only have one of that kind). Most of the Minor Beliefs are not unique, most of the beliefs affect both followers and founders, etc. Religion is more versatile, and not only useful for the one who founds it.

Dev Status

This is where I'll put stuff to talk about the mod.

Version History

01/11/2015 - New version released ! Prophets are working, most of the Policies are done (and some are heavily... inspired... from the Community Patch), 4 new civilizations... The world is happy. Only thing is : there's still one Test Civilization lingering about, due to this wonderful bug : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=507767 . As soon as I can, I'll just remove it and get more civilizations.

List of big changes :

* Ambeldia, Balchevia, Hacinkar and Korwatze added
* Removed Humanity, which has been replaced by Crafting (the core tech at the beginning of the tree). Mining has now taken the place of Crafting, Bronze Working has taken the place of Mining. Spearmen are now available at Bronze Working, and Axemen are available only at Forging.
* The Well has been removed. The Docks now grant +1 Food on Coastal Tiles, and the Lighthouse has a similar function to the Granary (grants +1 Food, and +1 Food and +1 Production on Sea Resources).
* Policies have been redone and completed. A lot of the stuff is copied from the Community Patch, or at least some core ideas. Tradition, Progress and Might are now the three base Policies (instead of Tradition, Liberty and Honor). Tradition is for tall empires with a focus on Specialists, Progress is for wide empires with a focus on Production, Might is for aggressive empires expanding via conquest.

06/05/2015 - Alpha v2 released. Fixed some bugs (most notably the Great Works issue), added some beliefs, completed the Fire, Water and Earth spell domains. Also, the Spellcasters systems and promotions is fully established now.
28/04/2015 – Technical Alpha released !

Mod Status

Features

• Diplomacy – Not started yet!
  • Government – Not started yet, sill unsure.
  • IA using new Features – Not started yet!
  • New UI – Incomplete, working (Code added as needed)
  • Religion – Incomplete, working (Core code done, new code added as needed)
  • Spellcasting – Incomplete, working - Core code needs to be remade
  • Technology Tree – Complete (Reworked recently)
  • Tourism – Not working (Great Works and pop-up bugged)

Content

• Beliefs – Incomplete
  • Buildings – Mostly complete, needs some more and a lot of tweaking
  • Civilizations – Incomplete, mostly working
  • Policies – Roughly 3/4 done
  • Promotions – Using base promotions as of now; needs overhaul
  • Spells – Incomplete
  • Technologies – Complete, mostly ; slight tweaking still needed
  • Text Entries – Vastly incomplete
  • Units – Mostly complete
  • Wonders – Incomplete

Current goals

From most important to less important:

• Reworking the core code of Spellcasting
  • Adding missing content (in order of priority: beliefs, spells, civilizations, units, policies)
  • Finishing Religion and Spellcasting
  • IA using new Features
  • Debugging Tourism
  • Adding new models and art
  • Working on the UI

Known bugs and issues

• The balance is horrible, but I don't really care for now. This is still a big alpha, with half of the core content still missing. Complaining about the balance is not useful : yeah, I did notice we gain a biiiiit too much gold, and I'll change that whenever I put my mind to that. Although I'll take your remarks into consideration, balance will become important after most of the things are done.
  • The Tourism status pop-up is bugged. This is due to the hard-coding, and it just needs to be redone (which will be simple but long to do, and mostly boring).
  • The Civilopedia and tooltip on the Tech Tree derp with things that produce yield tourism (the yield doesn't appear), and some yields are not always properly updated. I'll take a look at the LUA, it should not be too hard to fix.
  • I did not test the Vennor Trait extensively, as it would have required a lot of time that I did not want to spend. It is most likely a bit buggy, so be careful (The diplomodifier should work, though).
  • Prophets will still spawn if you reach 99999 Faith, but you should not reach that amount in a normal game. I'll see if I can disable completely Prophets spawning from accruing faith, but it seems unlikely.
  • Little UI bug in Religion Overview (when selecting a Fundamental Belief, the text on the button is slightly misplaced)
  • I think I forgot to add the Free Great People for finishing Progress. Oops.
  • Warrior should upgrade to spearman from ruins, not axeman. Although it upgrades to axeman, it gives it too much of a power boost otherwise.Changed already, ready for next version.

Dev Blog

I'm using this space to talk about thingies around the mod as the developper. Feel free to skip it, it's mainly that I like to talk (and I really like to talk about my mod).

Spoiler :
Dev Blog #1

As of now, the mod is in technical alpha. This means a LOT OF THINGS ARE MISSING, INCOMPLETE OR BUGGY. This is of course normal, but I hope you'll keep that in mind when playing and testing the mod. This is also my first mod, so... yeah.

I'll use this first Dev Blog to talk about the mod. Mostly, the design.

I have two goals in mind when I'm doing this mod.

First and foremost, I want to keep the design as simple as the base game. This does not mean I want it to be «easy» or «dumbed down». This means I want it to be as accessible as possible for all the players. The core functionalities will NOT be changed: happiness will stay the same, military units will use 1UPT, etc. Although CivV was criticized a lot, and with reason, and many mods intended to rework those core designs, I do not intend to do so. I will build my mod upon the core functionalities of Civilization, and will only do slight changes to them (for example, Civilian Units can stack, but you can't have two Workers working on the same tile).

I have many reasons to want the design « simple». A simple design is, of course, easily accessible, but I mostly want it to be easy to understand. That does not mean, however, that I want it to be easy to master.

I'll point out two things that I have seen about changing a core functionality to try to address a design issue in Civilization V. Both mods I'll take as example are trying to change how happiness work, to better balance it in the game (we all know happiness is not very well done).

On one hand, there's the Community Balance Path. Although I enjoy playing it and think it's fantastic, its happiness system is extremely complex, and, despite all the tooltips and all the information, simply a pain for the player. It shuts down a lot of strategies that were possible in the base game, and it seems like trying to make the citizens happy is a never-ending battle. It sure works, however, and it makes sense, both in a game context and a somewhat realistic context. But it's pretty hard to master, feels a bit random at times, and is a bit hard to explain: «you get unhappiness from cities based on the current levels of various yields ratio per citizen in the city compared to the median levels of those ratios in the world, and the further down you are compared to the norm the more unhappiness you get, but you have things to alleviate it in some specific ways...»

On the other hand, I'll point out the now long-dead Civilization NiGHTS mod. Which had this very simple system: All citizens generate happiness. Cities generate a lot of unhappiness, and Military Units produce some Unhappiness.

Sure, the happiness system from the Community Balance Patch is probably the «best» one. It's working, it has a lot of variables that allow for precise control of what the player can do, and it makes «sense». But if I had to choose? I'd take the system from NiGHTS. It does not address all the issues, but it is very easy to understand, and it's still doing its job rather nicely.

That's not to say all design choices from NiGHTS are good, far from it. But it's a rather good example of what I mean by «simplicity in design».

The second thing, which is way more important than the first, is that I want the mod to be fun. I want to make a world where magic and science become one, and see what happens to it when we play a game in that. I want new Civilizations, all as unbalanced as in Fall from Heaven II and the subsequent modmods, and see what happens when several avatars battle it out with an army of mech powered by magic. I want people to engage in this world, which is mysterious and not really defined apart from some snippets here and there, and play just because it is fun. Yes, I want to rebalance Religion so we can fully customize it, I want people to have choices when it comes to research or social policies and not always take the same things again and again because the design is just poorly executed, I want the IA to be a real threat from time to time and not just something you can toy around, I want the diplomacy victory to feel significant and not just «lemme flood those city-states with gold 'til it's time to vote for me», I want the Tourism victory to feel a bit more active and not just «let's do the same thing again and again because that's the only thing that works».

But above all, I want it to be fun. If I have to correct some issues that I have with the base design along the way, then so be it. I'll do it. Or at least try, and fail spectaculary if nothing else.

Let's see where this goes.

Seems very interesting! It would be great to have a good fantasy setting/mod especially if you could also throw in all the fantastic custom civs of LOTR, Ice & Fire and so on.. sort of make it like the ultimate medieval sword and sorcery fantasy realm.. or something like that :D

I really love this idea. Particularly because you avoided that common trope of staying on a medieval stasis only because it's a fantasy setting. Magitech is really a beautiful thing that should be featured more frequently.

Have any plans to add steampunk stuff? Importing a couple models from Caveman to Cosmos could give you a leg in (not to mention stuff from Smoky Skies).

I really love this idea. Particularly because you avoided that common trope of staying on a medieval stasis only because it's a fantasy setting. Magitech is really a beautiful thing that should be featured more frequently.

Have any plans to add steampunk stuff? Importing a couple models from Caveman to Cosmos could give you a leg in (not to mention stuff from Smoky Skies).

Yup, I'll add some Steampunk stuff (I even have the idea of a Steampunk Civilization, of course :D ). I'll take a quick look at the mod, and I already identified some models from Smoky Skies that I wanted to borrow (I just didn't bother doing it for the alpha). Thanks :)

I'm in fangirl mode now 'cause FramedArchitect said my mod looked good :lol:

Thanks for the kind words :)

Anyway, a new version is out (or about to be). Not many changes since last time. I added some new beliefs, fixed a lot of bugs, some important, some not, and added new spells. For now, three domains are complete : Fire, Water and Earth. Most of my coding time has been spent recoding the spells, and I came to the conclusion that I'll probably have to redo even more... But for now, the spellcasting code does everything what I want it to do, so it's fine :D

I added (or will add, depending if you see this right after I post it) some screenshots of the mod. Most notably, you can now see the new Religion panel. I forgot to take screenshots of it when I released the first version. Oops.

Wow, you've been quite a lurker, eh? :D

Civ V really needs a good fantasy mod with a soul. Thank you so much for dedicating your time to modding this total conversion, I will be glad to follow its development.

That religion system is kind of kick-ass. Great work so far!

Wow, you've been quite a lurker, eh? :D

Civ V really needs a good fantasy mod with a soul. Thank you so much for dedicating your time to modding this total conversion, I will be glad to follow its development.

I don't see what you mean :D

I'm glad it caught your eye and that you seem so interessed in it, many thanks :)

That religion system is kind of kick-ass. Great work so far!

Thanks! The addition of the Religion in Gods & Kinds always seemed a bit half-assed for me (although I'm being quite unfair, to be honest : given the constraints and what they did, how they implemented it is quite good in the end). Trying to make it a bit more interesting was always one of my goal. So far, it seems to work :D

A new version will soon be out, as soon as I iron out some persistent bugs. Nothing very interesting in this version, althought... Apart from the fact I added 4 new civilizations. This means no more civilization tests, and only the 8 new civilizations. I'll try to add some other stuff in, but I'd rather have the base civilizations out of the mod as fast as possible, so we'll see.

The new religion system is awesome! :eek:

It should be a mod on its own, I hope you'll consider the idea.

I agree with FramedArchitect, it is a very interesting project.
My most sincere compliments, you're doing a great job!

Planeshift discovered Necromancy !

A new version is up and ready to be downloaded ! (Check the first post)

What, you thought this little project was dead ? :D

Well, it mostly was for some months. Real life and a sudden lack of motivation made me stop right before I released a new version of this mod. In october, I finally found both the time and the will to go back to it. Most of the new stuff in this version has been done months ago, except from some Policies rework that I did. And some other stuff.

Anyway, what's new ?

Well, for starters, we now have a total of 8 new Civilizations, with one test Civilization still lingering due to an infuriating bug (this one). Barely tested, they should still work fine. Any bugs should be reported here.

Moreover, most of the policies are done. The late stuff is still left to do, mostly Rationalism and Arcanism. I'm still pondering how to make my own version of Ideologies, mostly because I'd like to have a system of government implemented instead, but we'll see if I can manage that. It seems quite complicated, and it can wait. Especially because some Policies are still incomplete, due to some code I had to do that I didn't want to because I'm lazy (or it's hard, or both).

I reworked some of the early technologies, tweaked one or two buildings, etc. I'm still not completely happy with how it is, so expect some more small changes with each version.

Some crucial bugs (spellcasting not working on friendly, prophets not spawning properly, etc) were corrected. By the way, Prophets are mostly useless right now, given they have no use whatsoever outside of converting and making some Holy Sites. Sooner or later, they'll get the ability to add Beliefs to your Religion, as expected.

I moved from the DLL - Various Components Mod to the Community Patch, simply because it's the same but "better" (at least with more stuff anyway). You only have to use the Community Patch itself, which is the DLL modification ; everything else will surely mess with my mod and will probably break everything.

So, what now ?

Well, the next step is to rework the Spellcasting system. As I have said before, it's based on the amazing work of FramedArchitect, but sadly, it's a bit too restrictive to my taste. Mostly, it's not modular enough, and I have an urge to make more and more complex spells, that could be made quite easily with a better spell system. But to do that, I'll have to redo most of the base code. That's one of the big reasons I stopped working on the mod to begin with : I knew I had to do that, and this requires time, patience, time, motivation, and a lot of time. So I was not so eager to start working on it.

I don't know if I'm that much more willing right now. But I'll try to do it. At least, if I manage to make a proper spell system easy to manage, with complex spells easy to add with just some SQL entries, I know that some modders will find a use for that. :D

Anyway, to finish my rambling : the mod is not dead. I'm still willing to work on it, as I really want to fully flesh out this mod.

I hope you have fun playing this silly little thing ;)

Top Bottom