UUs in BNW

One shot kill of a great admiral if you run it over :p and workers too I believe with the high enough strength
You can do that with ranged units too. There is no benefit to giving a ranged unit a melee attack if it can't take cities.

And again, 2 strength and 3 ranged strength is nothing. The Great Galleass is simply not a unique unit and just wastes a Venetian unique slot.

It's a little bit more than nothing? But I agree, it's a little unimpressive. The melee attack would be neat if you could actually take cities with it.

I think giving it Supply to start and allowing it to take cities, alongside maaaaybe bumping up the ranged strength one or two points would get you something fantastic. You'd basically get an earlier-game Sea Beggar that can siege cities without taking damage itself, and once it gets it down, is perfectly capable of capturing it. It'd be well worth the extra production cost, certainly.

I've used a bunch of Indonesian Kris Swordsmen. Provided that your luck doesn't suck to hell, the down promos actually are necessary to balance out the positive upgrades. Invulnerable and Restless are that good. Heroism is pretty darn good, too. It's an promo that says, "Use your next GG to invade with a Citadel."

Also, I didn't find the Pracinhas too good... they seem to come very late and, whilst having a nice promo, depending on the enemy's tech level, it can be quite frustrating. On my king game, I was facing Musketmen with my Pracinhas. It doesn't do a lot if you need >2000 :c5goldenage: for a golden age and each kill gives you 24 :c5goldenage: ...

of course they come late, did you want them to come in ancient era?

I'm saying they could be a bit more useful, since they come at Plastics. It is fairly late in the game and their bonus isn't so good, so it would be nice to receive a buff. When did I say that I wanted them to come earlier? That was a quite unnecessary irony, if you ask me. They are on an appropriate place, I just wanted them to get a buff like Drill I or something like that, since they are a very late game unit.

The Golden Age bonus points could use a great big buff given how many points Golden Ages require in the Atomic Era, and how late the unit is. Its GA power should be just short of broken, IMO.

Right now, it gets the strength of the unit in GA points. It might be better if instead got 5x that amount - killing a single Infantry with Pracinha would net Brazil 350 points towards the next GA. That would be very, very good.

Unique buildings and improvements are more useful than unique units because their don't obsolesce. With the exceptions of Huns and Mongols (because their units are both too important to lose), every civilization should have a unique improvement or building given to it in place of one of its units, especially considering how not-at-all-useful many unique units are.

I feel like this is a really boring attitude that I see frequently repeated around these forums. People just want a building that passively gives them some extra yields because they're really easy to use and there's a slight extra number right there.

Most UUs are fine.

I love the unique units, i prefer them over anything else...some are useful for more then one era of play...playing poland and going to build a ton of winged hussars and roll over the three other civs on my map!!!

you can take cities with the Great Galleass. you have to use the move command though.

Didn't know this. Thanks for clearing it up! Great Galleass looks pretty solid to me then :)

Looks like I answered that in my post edit. Basically, when you only allow two uniques per civilization, you need to make sure they're both valuable enough to take up that unique slot. The Great Galleass is certainly a good unit, but only because the Galleass is a very good unit and it's basically the same thing.

The normal galleass is worse than a crossbowman when it comes to ranged damage and, due to most civs not being coastal by default, not necessarily available for defending the capital. A couple of Great Galleasses is not unlikely to be the best ranged protection available for any city in the game at that point of the game, against threats from the ocean as well as from the land.

Same with Great Galleass, the "useless" UU if we were to believe the OP. It has a ranged attack strength of 20 - in other words, a cannon ages before cannons, with the added benefits of being untouchable by land melee units and far lower cost. And since Venice has a coastal start, they are guaranteed to be available for defending the city.

That's pretty fricken' useFUL, not -less if you ask me!

Not to mention that Great Galleasses are far more mobile than cannon and don't have to set up to fire.

Pracinhas are great in that they can be upgraded from Foreign Legion, and as you are most likely going Freedom ideology with Brazil, you can get 6 free ones. Then you just goad an AI into throwing all its units at you. And they keep the foreign lands bonus. They are nigh on invincible when they come around.

Top Bottom