Domestication issues (realism)

mattchaos

Chieftain
First I would like to note that I'm not native English speaker and I usually play Civ games in my language (French), so I'll do my best but I may not use the correct term on specific actions in the game. You'll excuse me, I hope.

In order to improve the historical and scientific accuracy of the mod, I'd like to talk a little about the different levels of taming and domestication and their consequences IRL and in the game.

If animals can individually be tame (for most species at least), really few of them have really been domesticated, and to various degrees only.
I recommend reading Wikipedia's page on domestication for a complete analysis, but in short:
- we consider it full domestication when these populations are bred and raised under human control for many generations and are substantially altered as a group in appearance or behavior.
- some animals remain identical to their wild counter part and are simply farmed and ranched.
- some remains mainly feral and are captured in the wild and tame afterward.

Depending on the animal, each of those population may be trained and used (for work, war ...) or simply be eaten, or for specific purpose, but the availability and the cost depends heavily on the domestication status.

As an example I'll take the differences between elephants, who are normally simply taken from the wild and trained, and the horses who are domesticated (even the "wild" horses we have now are usually descendants of a domesticated population returned to the wild).
As such if there are trainers for both, horses can be found anywhere, have a wide range of variety, including war horses, and can be trained easily. Some empty space may be necessary but if you provide them with food, you can raise horses anywhere including big cities.
Gameplay-wise it means that if a camp could provide the first wild horses, it should be easy to either create horse ranches either on the map or directly in the cities (but it should consume food). Domestication of horses should open specializations for horses with opportunities to grow species which bring more food, more hammers, more money, more health, more spy, or more powerful units.
Now on the elephants: as they are taken from the wild, raising them has no cost, but if elephants can be moved after their capture, their initial territory has to remain at least partially wild. Raising elephants the way horses were raised would cost a lot, due both to their size and their destructive nature. This leads to a limited availability of elephants, and a behavior and appearance similar to the wild ones.
Gameplay-wise the elephants should only be available with a camp (and maybe a trainer), and no ranches should exist. Camp could provide both elephants and ivory (or two different type of camps could exist) and elephant resource could then be trained as units, for a higher cost than horse. Number of units/buildings based on elephants should be limited as elephants are only trained within their natural limits with no evolution. An elephant uprising should be possible wherever elephants are in use (camps or troops or buildings).

In an alternative reality we could perfectly imagine that the complete domestication of the elephants could occur but this would necessitate the building of elephants farms where the best ones would be selected and bred. This would cost a huge amount of food and take a long time to complete.

The current situation does not reflect those differences enough, and gives in my opinion, a good advantage to start close to elephants compared to a start close to horses, when historically horses have played a leading role compared to any other animal.

I could argue for the dog over the horse, but whatever the order of importance they are clearly 1 and 2.

Are you suggesting that for the same tech level required for the unit that the horse version should cost much less than the elephant version? Using the workers as an example: dog workers would be the cheapest (they are already;)), then horse/llama worker, then water buffalo/camel, then elephant, then mammoth. Is this right? With the military units the relative combat strength would compensate for the extra costs, what would compensate for the costs of the workers?

FYI Horses are also used to produce and transport food. This is what the food on the horse pasture is supposed to represent.

I am working on a mechanism for spreading the animal bonuses around. It is in the beta (SVN) version now for cattle, horses and sheep. Currently only subdued animals can do this but tamed ones will be added once I change the way they are produced. These can only be settled on the map in locations that are like their original biomes. (Remember the Great Farmer can settle them anywhere.)

In C2C we do actually evolve the horses some of this is represented by changes to the horse pasture but the rest is represented by the buildings eg Knight's Stable represents the evolution of the heavy draft horses.

this would be an interesting way of making different units like horses and elephants more different...also it would nerve the OP elephants that were complained about (although, now are the city defenders op :mischief:)

The thing with the food for rising... actually, if you think about it, pig farms and such should consume more food than they provide. Roughly 10% of biomass is converted per "level", so if you want to grow 100 kg pig, you'd need roughly 1000 kg plants for that. If you want to grow 100 kg human, you'd need 1000 kg Pig, thus 10.000 kg plants. ROUGHLY.
So pigs eat more food than they provide (same is true for other animals of course). This is more true in modern times where animals are fed with corn and such rather then grass, garbage and other unedible things for humans. So in ancient times they provide some food, also :health:. in modern times, they are more likely to consume :food:, add :yuck: and a lot of Pollution. Therefore perhaps more :happy: and more :gold: (and probably :science:). we can modify all of these, health, happyness, gold and properties, with techs. So this would be quite a good example.
(And no, I'm not a vegan nor vegetarian, I love meat. But I'm aware it causes problems :crazyeye:)

Until recently animals consumed stuff we would not consider food and produced food we could eat. Pigs are still used to prepare fields for crops. Cattle and sheep pastured on grassland have evolved to improve the grassland, reduce pollution and carbon. Those fed on grain are not. What this means is that the current mechanism for their farming is accurate up until the very modern era.

In recent times this has changed from to include consuming things we could consume but don't either because there is too much of it or eating it has gone out of fashion. All that means is that the grain farms are producing too much food which will go to waste if not fed to fast breeding chickens that we can eat in burgers. So they do still produce more food than they consume.

We could add in new improvements Factory Pasture, available in the late modern which increases food production at the cost of pollution.

"Are you suggesting that for the same tech level required for the unit that the horse version should cost much less than the elephant version? Using the workers as an example: dog workers would be the cheapest (they are already), then horse/llama worker, then water buffalo/camel, then elephant, then mammoth. Is this right? With the military units the relative combat strength would compensate for the extra costs, what would compensate for the costs of the workers?"
More or less yes, that would be the basic step. Currently I see that first military unit for horses is weaker than the first for the elephants but is also cheaper, I still consider the elephant to be a better deal, but it may be a personal preference here (especially given my favorite settings). Militarily I think the best deal should be the horses, but elephants should have an advantage over the horses on a direct confrontation. A civ with horses should have it easier to conquer a civ without mounted animals compared to a civ with elephants, but a civ with elephants should easily render this advantage null. But to simulate the adaptability of horses a special anti elephants unit should be available for horses later on.
Now on the worker I think that elephants should bring a good advantage, building anything quicker than the horses. But it should have some disadvantages, one of them being the cost.

My major complain in fact are the herd buildings. Tehy offer the opportunity to have the ressources without the cost of a tile on the map. Which means that you can have a very big city, surrounded by modern areas (towns, farms ...) and absolutly no wild tile and still produce elephants which should only be possible with a full domestication of elephants (and a good sacrifice of food).
I think those elephant herd building should not exist or at least (if you go alternate history road) cost a certain number of food per turn.

As a second step, if you want to go for more realism, I think training, raising and domesticating should be seperated, some of them being very expensives for their era, for only a small benefit. Training should only be possible for animals with a certain level of intelligence (horses, dogs, elephants, but no silk worm or fish), raising would be more accessible for small animals, vegetarians ones, and domestication should only be available after.
This should also be the case for all alternative technologies.
Ressources should be separated between wild animals (that can still be trained) and domestic ones. Domestic ones could also evolve and improve over time.
The initial ressource would be wild horses for example, or boars, and the domestication would offer the possibility to create the new ressources (as per your mechanism).

"FYI Horses are also used to produce and transport food. This is what the food on the horse pasture is supposed to represent." Yes, I'm aware of this, I wouldn't say I like the mechanism, but yeah.
Camps should not give as much as pasture, that's for sure. Would be nice too if they triggered negative events on farms (or some other improvments) around.

"I am working on a mechanism for spreading the animal bonuses around. It is in the beta (SVN) version now for cattle, horses and sheep. Currently only subdued animals can do this but tamed ones will be added once I change the way they are produced. These can only be settled on the map in locations that are like their original biomes. (Remember the Great Farmer can settle them anywhere.)"
This is really something I'm looking forward to. This should be done for any animal that can be raised IRL and not for ones who aren't (like elephants), except again for the alternate history.

"In C2C we do actually evolve the horses some of this is represented by changes to the horse pasture but the rest is represented by the buildings eg Knight's Stable represents the evolution of the heavy draft horses."
I didn't know, this is a nice thing to have.

Your method of quoting text is very hard to read. This forum comes with a button above where you type that looks like a speech bubble, you highlight the text you want to quote and press that button. ;)

My major complain in fact are the herd buildings. Tehy offer the opportunity to have the ressources without the cost of a tile on the map. Which means that you can have a very big city, surrounded by modern areas (towns, farms ...) and absolutly no wild tile and still produce elephants which should only be possible with a full domestication of elephants (and a good sacrifice of food).

I think those elephant herd building should not exist or at least (if you go alternate history road) cost a certain number of food per turn.

The main problem with having them cost food is that the AI will not build them which would give a further advantage to players.

Camps should not give as much as pasture, that's for sure. Would be nice too if they triggered negative events on farms (or some other improvments) around.

There is a big problem with having wild animals, barbarians, slave revolts and the like putting enemy/barbarian units inside your territory - if you have the Great Wall you will be immune to these events as those units will be expelled from your territory. This is something we have discussed on and off but have not come to a conclusion on. Personally I would make that wonder stop barbarian units crossing your borders only, so that if they are inside your borders they stay there and if they are outside they stay there.

"I am working on a mechanism for spreading the animal bonuses around. It is in the beta (SVN) version now for cattle, horses and sheep. Currently only subdued animals can do this but tamed ones will be added once I change the way they are produced. These can only be settled on the map in locations that are like their original biomes. (Remember the Great Farmer can settle them anywhere.)"
This is really something I'm looking forward to. This should be done for any animal that can be raised IRL and not for ones who aren't (like elephants), except again for the alternate history.

Except elephants were and still are - Carthage, India and Indonesia to name a few.

Cattle in UK have been domesticated for a long time but even in the medieval era the bulls were semi wild. They were too costly to keep so were left in the wild areas to be used for breading and for pulling ploughs when needed.

Your method of quoting text is very hard to read. This forum comes with a button above where you type that looks like a speech bubble, you highlight the text you want to quote and press that button. ;)
Should be better now.

The main problem with having them cost food is that the AI will not build them which would give a further advantage to players.
Most of the time those herds shouldn't be an advantage anyway, only a flavor choice.

There is a big problem with having wild animals, barbarians, slave revolts and the like putting enemy/barbarian units inside your territory - if you have the Great Wall you will be immune to these events as those units will be expelled from your territory. This is something we have discussed on and off but have not come to a conclusion on. Personally I would make that wonder stop barbarian units crossing your borders only, so that if they are inside your borders they stay there and if they are outside they stay there.
While I agree with you on this, and also consider that wild animals shouldn't be blocked at all but this is another discussion, this is not exactly what I was suggesting, I was simply thinking about an event that would damage one random tile around a camp of elephant or a city with elephant unit in, like the volcano event.

Except elephants were and still are - Carthage, India and Indonesia to name a few.
I'm not sure the term raised is the best here, but what I wanted to say is that elephants usually reproduce in the wild, that humans had no control over their evolution and that something like elephants herds simply never existed (or extremly limited, like zoos).
In Carthage, India and Indonesia elephants are (were) captured in the wild and trained, not "raised". As such relocating elephants seems a very difficult task (certainly easier nowadays) and certainly not comparable to relocating cattles or horses.

Cattle in UK have been domesticated for a long time but even in the medieval era the bulls were semi wild. They were too costly to keep so were left in the wild areas to be used for breading and for pulling ploughs when needed.
And in early USA horses returned to wild and were then recapturated by other "civilisations". Thing is, horses and cattles are considered domesticated, and have spread all over the world thanks to human relocating them, when this never happened for elephants (at least on a large squale).

So historically elephant herd building is wrong, and historically a mechanism to move elepant ressources would also be wrong.
And personnally, I'm all in favor of alternate history, and I consider that those building and mechanism are totally a possibility, but there's certainly a good reason why it was not done, and I think that, should those possibilities be offered in the game, the reason should also be present, and the reason is certainly the cost compared to the advantage gained.

@mattchaos,
Look we've had this "realism" discussion over and over since this Mod came into being. Out of those discussions the mod has evolved to this point: it's Not historically or scientifically 100% accurate. It can Not be and still be C2C. Adapt to the way the Mod plays and the ideas that have been developed over the past 4 + years. Help refine the ideas to facilitate a 4X TBS game and not a Historical simulator. The idea of making C2C such a "simulator" Mod would rip the fabric that this mod is composed of.

The current state of the Mod is the culmination of those past discussions and it's evolution from them.

I must say that if you want a more Historically/possibly scientific accurate mod there are other mods available that strive for that. Realism Invictus is one that comes to mind.

JosEPh

Well on this same forum, there is this post:

A lot people want to help this mod, but don't know whom to ask or how to start. Or they can't mod nor have basic knowledge in informatics. That's what this thread is for: I will update the first post with all new incoming "jobs", small (or bigger) tasks that would be nice to get done or even need to be done. I will list requirements for your skills and who you can contact for further questions. Also, feel free to simply post in this thread if you are interested in a task, or if you also have a task that should be done.

A few things to clarify:

- Even if I call it "job", there is no payment. This should be obvious, I just want to be sure. We all do this as a hobby and none of us is getting money for it. Your reward is seeing your stuff in this awesome game, a better game in general and depending on how much you do: A name for the Credits.

- Even if a task is taken by someone, this doesn't mean you can't say you wanna help. Some tasks are not very good to share, but others will be a lot easier if more people working on it.

- If you realize half-way that you don't have enough time or simply don't want to do a task anymore - no worries! Everything helps, even if it's just a little bit.

- You don't need to know how to mod. Some tasks only require basic reading and writing skills. But if you are interested, we'd be happy to teach you how to mod. I for myself didn't know anything, and after only half a year I'm pretty confident with XML now and even tried python.

This said, here are the tasks you can help.

5) Spotting historic/scientific inaccuracies

Skills required: Knowledge in a specific field (History, Chemistry, Material Science, whatever)

Why? We want to be educational as well. Our team can't be experts in every aspect, so there might be some mistakes.

Discription: Just find and clearify mistakes. For example, if you know for sure that the Pyramides were made of wood and not stone, post it. Or that a mineral in game comes at Industrialism, but was used by ancient greeks as well. Or that you don't need nanoactuators to build anti-gravity devices. I don't know.

They should be posted here.

So I'm just trying to help, the way it was requested ...

Yes, it IS a help. The problem with games is, that they have to be both: Realistic AND balanced. I like your idea with elephants being more expensive then horses, and I also think (post industrial) animal farms should reduce food.
The problem here is food itself. In Civ, it isn't just pure food or calories, but growing population in general. So the "babyboom" event produce food, too, for example. So you COULD argue that if you have more meat (and not just rice), your population is healthier and thus can have more offspring. This would make sense for pre industrial eras, but in modern times with mega animal farms and such, this isn't true anymore. Also, in Civ the general rule "more pop = better" is true, while you should struggle with too big cities in the modern and TH era.

Yes, it IS a help. The problem with games is, that they have to be both: Realistic AND balanced. I like your idea with elephants being more expensive then horses,

Not only elephants but also the other alt-timeline units probably should cost more to build and run than they currently do. I like this because it adds more real choice about what units you have. The AI probably wont have any problems with it but the player may since the UI does not make some of this obvious. I don't think unit upkeep shows up anywhere at the moment.

Currently all we can do is change the hammer and money cost for building the unit and the money cost for maintaining the unit. There is no mechanism for requiring food to maintain units yet - that will be part of any Supply Mod we implement if we get to it.

and I also think (post industrial) animal farms should reduce food.
The problem here is food itself. In Civ, it isn't just pure food or calories, but growing population in general. So the "babyboom" event produce food, too, for example. So you COULD argue that if you have more meat (and not just rice), your population is healthier and thus can have more offspring. This would make sense for pre industrial eras, but in modern times with mega animal farms and such, this isn't true anymore. Also, in Civ the general rule "more pop = better" is true, while you should struggle with too big cities in the modern and TH era.

There is a choice that the nation has to make on whether or not human consumable food can be fed to animals. This should be a civic choice in the agriculture area. Its actual details would need to be sorted out there. It would probably reduce the food from grain and vegetable improvements and increase health from meat improvements but also increase water pollution.

There is a choice that the nation has to make on whether or not human consumable food can be fed to animals. This should be a civic choice in the agriculture area. Its actual details would need to be sorted out there. It would probably reduce the food from grain and vegetable improvements and increase health from meat improvements but also increase water pollution.

is it really a choice, or is it more a neet? with fewer people, you need less food to supply them and thus animals can be grown on pastures where they eat grass, like in nature. If you need more meat more quickly, you have to feed them high energy food like corn. So IMO this is more a technological process and techs are better suited to reflect that then civics.

Until recently animals consumed stuff we would not consider food and produced food we could eat. Pigs are still used to prepare fields for crops. Cattle and sheep pastured on grassland have evolved to improve the grassland, reduce pollution and carbon. Those fed on grain are not. What this means is that the current mechanism for their farming is accurate up until the very modern era.

In recent times this has changed from to include consuming things we could consume but don't either because there is too much of it or eating it has gone out of fashion. All that means is that the grain farms are producing too much food which will go to waste if not fed to fast breeding chickens that we can eat in burgers. So they do still produce more food than they consume.

We could add in new improvements Factory Pasture, available in the late modern which increases food production at the cost of pollution.

Dancing Hoskuld has it spot-on. For most of human history, animals DID consume food that was not fit for human consumption, and produced usable food in return. So having them produce food is entirely accurate.

Even in the modern era, some animals (such as on organic farms) do still feed on inedible foodstuffs such as grass. So it's really quite accurate to have the animal farms/herds (which NEED to exist- there simply aren't enough tiles around a city to be settling animal resources. You might THINK there are early on in a game, but if you open up the WorldBuilder screen you'll see most of these tiles are occupied by resources you just can't see yet- such as Bauxite, which is invisible until Industrialism...) produce food.

And, for the record, there is a distinct difference between farming and herding- in that herding is often semi-nomadic and involves moving animals from pasture to pasture, whereas farms are more often enclosures where a much smaller population of animals is kept watch on by a single farming household. There are economic niches for both- and you end up getting more total animals raised if you have both types of agriculture in place.

There probably should be an ORDINANCE to decide whether to feed animals food consumable by humans. Which could reduce food production, but produce some other useful benefit such as increased health, gold, or production that makes it worthwhile. It would be at its greatest utility, of course, if you could produce far more food than your population could consume, and the food would otherwise go to "Waste"

Just inspect the city screen of any city with a large food surplus- you'll see the majority of the food is not consumed or used for population growth, but simply "Wasted"... This is realistic- humans aren't going to have 60 kids per couple even if there is enough food to feed all of them... Obesity can also be considered a type of "Waste" as well which we're all familiar with seeing in the real world- as it doesn't lead to increased population growth- and in facts slows it by leading to much greater rates of heart disease and diabetes. In situations like these (LARGE agricultural surpluses, like currently can be found in America), having FEWER calories available is actually a good thing- even if it leads to higher food prices. This is also one good argument for turning edible grains into biofuel...

And, as mentioned, there can be alternative benefits such as greater Health, and production ("hammers") from the leather and available animal draft-power for farming. Regarding the Health- in real life, a diet with plenty of animal protein encourages muscle growth and strengthens your immune system (this is the main reason people's immune systems are so weak in protein-starved countries such as certain parts of India and Bangladesh). Note that "high in protein" isn't necessarily synonymous with "high in fat/cholesterol" or "high in toxins"- both of which stem from OTHER eating and agricultural habits of the modern world than simply feeding animals grain...

Regards,
Northstar

One way to handle elephants realistically would be that instead of making elephant units buildable at all you simply build an 'elephant trainer' available if there's elephants in city viscinity. This building then provides you with a new tamed elephant every say every 20 turns, to potentially convert to a military unit or a worker or perhaps rush build something.

But does all this concern over the elephant make this portionof the Mod more fun to play or more tedious to play. Realism be **mned if it makes the Mod boring and/or tedious. Keep it Fun and it stays playable with repeat playability. If it takes me more effort to get an elephant when I could produce 10 of something else (like horse) then elephant won't get built/used. It is really that simple.

We've went thru stages where a change was made, like this one suggested by this thread, and then a set of buildings or resources or units got left unused because it took too much effort to make it worthwhile to use. Hydro has experienced this multiple times with his buildings thru maint costs or new game concepts like crime. When it get too tedious (ie cost too much in any game factor) then it become useless and just takes up valuable coding space.

JosEPh

Well said JosephII. That is the problem we are having with the story teller line at the moment.

Doing a slight change on the costs and strengths of the various animals would provide, in my opinion, enough reality (whatever that is) without sacrificing game play.

I don't see what's so difficult or complicated about getting a free elephant automatically every once in a while. Since some elephant military units are absolutely awesome units there is no way those elephants won't be used militarily. And adding a building based on resources within city viscinity is hardly an alien or complicated concept either to this mod. Any normal player would end up with plenty of elephants in their army. I guess the problem would be with the AI not using them properly?

About the storyteller/bard it would be nice if they could make some contribution to education aswell. In my current game the problem with new cities is that they go negative education which results in lots of penalties to them, and there is almost nothing one can do until the city reach level 6 in population because you cannot build any real education buildings until then.

I don't see what's so difficult or complicated about getting a free elephant automatically every once in a while. Since some elephant military units are absolutely awesome units there is no way those elephants won't be used militarily. And adding a building based on resources within city viscinity is hardly an alien or complicated concept either to this mod. Any normal player would end up with plenty of elephants in their army. I guess the problem would be with the AI not using them properly?

Giving a free unit of any type every so often is not hard. We do it for the crusader unit. It would be nice if it was based on when the building was built in the city and if we could do it just by specifying the unit and how often in the XML. I think I had the python code ready to go for such back in the ROM:AND days it is just a matter of finding it or recreating it. Also adding the information to the pedia and changing the AI so that it affects the building choice.

The parameters would be unit, how often, free unit obsolete tech and whether or not the unit gets exp from the city or not. The crusader doesn't for example.

About the storyteller/bard it would be nice if they could make some contribution to education aswell. In my current game the problem with new cities is that they go negative education which results in lots of penalties to them, and there is almost nothing one can do until the city reach level 6 in population because you cannot build any real education buildings until then.

That is what all the animal stories are for but I have only managed to build the bear and amphibian ones. Plus I have not figured out a good way of transferring them between cities using the story teller and bard. The entertainer can spread a story to all cities, the story teller and bard should be able to spread it to one city at a time.

Top Bottom