Ethnic Diversity Units

When I started creating these themes I was looking for fastest way to improve immersion in game. To do this we decide to make only skins to 5 ethnic regions. This solution have some bad sides for example some skins can be little misplaced in entire skin group but i want to make them universal as much as possible.
When I end with 5group project for all eras then i want to add little favour to skins creating subgroups. For example creating in America skins for: Native American tribes, Mesoamerican, Andean and Amazonian Tribes.

But if you want I can change this skin (Warlord Chief) to more native american look.
How big a stretch would it be to generate sets for all the base cultures (African, Middle Eastern, European, Asian, Oceanic, North American and South American)? Given that we already have these divides in the game it would appear to me this might be the best way to arrange these. There is a decided difference between North and South American in style it would seem.

I know it's asking a lot but you do such good work and I feel it would benefit the mod extensively.

The Andean(Incan) look and Mesoamerican(Aztec, Mayan etc) is similiar enough that you can have some overlap. Prehistoric for example, these guys sharing the same look would make sense, but when you reach time periods that Incans and Aztecs and others actually existed, I'd try to use graphics for those cultures.

I use native americans as an example because Thunderbird mentioned it. Similiar to citystyles.

Just wanted to mention though..your doing an amazing job...absolutely amazing with these graphics.

Well... exactly. Both of those styles would be part of the South American set and then we could eventually reskin more directly for specific cultures.

This would all blend VERY nicely with the Adopt your Culture project if we can figure out how to redefine the skin and model of a unit based on one of its possessed combat classes. I DON'T think that would be terribly difficult actually... Been thinking a bit on this subject and can see it working out. I may even work on that quite soon. Seems to blend with the current project pretty well.

The plan for Cultural Combat Classes did not initially involve giving them a culture definition from its 'BASE' culture (or should we call this 'Ethnicity'?) But if I include those Ethnicity culture definitions in the Combat Class outlook we could use those to cross reference with the unit itself to find the definition for each unit's current in-game skin, model and animation file. We'd keep a core definition for these on our units for the sake of the pedia but would in-game redefine based on the automatically assigned Ethnicity that would stem from the base culture of the civilization - redefined later when the unit picks up more cultural definition (though that part would have to wait for the 1D style property mechanism being established to manage cultural spreads and influences on cities.)

I know... probably a lot of blah blah whatever he said stuff but if anyone is following me here feel free to comment on if you think this is a good idea or not ;)

Ok there's my plan: when I made classical era skins then I'll back to prehistoric and start making Southern American tribes theme. Then ancient and classical.

I uploaded new N.American classical era skins:
http://imgur.com/k876Pdm

Little description to them:
- as you see most skins is in the same style. When I start designing them I think that will be good to show late ancient and early medieval look of the units. In real world pre-columbian civilizations never step in that era (most advanced civilization - Incas - was in early ancient era IMO). I dont want to copy European, Arabian or Asian look and this why i create own style. I choose lamellar-scale armor but instead iron pre-columbian civilzations use other materials - copper, leather, bronze, brass or even wood. All have simillar collors and this is why armour is dark orange.

And about bright colours - I think meso-american and n.american civilzations likes them much and its logical conclusion to include this preference in design.

Nevertheless... @Unit Designers: Deer Riders would not be archery units and would not use bows as they are not Deer Archers. What this implies is that we MUST put a different rider on the deer for that unit's mesh that utilizes an appropriate melee weapon that can THEN be reskinned by Sparth here.

Who exactly works the unit meshes? SO, is that you?

What do you mean by "meshes"? kfm, yes i am trying to figure out which ones work, some do some dont, the Deer Archer one does NOT work correctly presently. Even if it is just a re-skin of the old unit.

What do you mean by "meshes"? kfm, yes i am trying to figure out which ones work, some do some dont, the Deer Archer one does NOT work presently.

Meshes are the 3D wire frame of the unit. Think of it like the clay of a ceramic sculpture. Sparth is like a painter who paints the ceramic sculpture but doesn't chnage the mold (most of the time).

And to answer the orginal question, yes I have made custom meshes before (ex. Log Ram, Llama Rider, Da Vinci Tank, Orthopter, etc). However since upgrading my computer my better 3D editing program won't work anymore and I am left with only using G-Max. However when it comes to animated units I am not much help, unless its to say reskin.

Well... exactly. Both of those styles would be part of the South American set and then we could eventually reskin more directly for specific cultures.

This would all blend VERY nicely with the Adopt your Culture project if we can figure out how to redefine the skin and model of a unit based on one of its possessed combat classes. I DON'T think that would be terribly difficult actually... Been thinking a bit on this subject and can see it working out. I may even work on that quite soon. Seems to blend with the current project pretty well.

The plan for Cultural Combat Classes did not initially involve giving them a culture definition from its 'BASE' culture (or should we call this 'Ethnicity'?) But if I include those Ethnicity culture definitions in the Combat Class outlook we could use those to cross reference with the unit itself to find the definition for each unit's current in-game skin, model and animation file. We'd keep a core definition for these on our units for the sake of the pedia but would in-game redefine based on the automatically assigned Ethnicity that would stem from the base culture of the civilization - redefined later when the unit picks up more cultural definition (though that part would have to wait for the 1D style property mechanism being established to manage cultural spreads and influences on cities.)

I know... probably a lot of blah blah whatever he said stuff but if anyone is following me here feel free to comment on if you think this is a good idea or not ;)

I like where your going with this.

Everything is doable and changin deer rider to melee is doable :)
Fastest way IMO is change mount from mongol Keshik or persian Immortal to Deer.
I do this when Im done with skinning job.

Everything is doable and changin deer rider to melee is doable :)
Fastest way IMO is change mount from mongol Keshik or persian Immortal to Deer.
I do this when Im done with skinning job.

Excellent! Glad to see the team now possesses another skill set angle to work on this stuff for us. It is REALLY awesome havin' ya with us Sparth!

@Hydro: I've seen you work with original meshes but I was wondering who did the initial recombination on some of our unique riders because if I'm not mistaken, judging by the way they seem to piece together, they can be, as Sparth stated, replaced by another rider mesh and I think the animation sets can be adjusted accordingly as well. I'm only aware that this can be done - not particularly HOW to go about it so I was just trying to figure out whomever it was that has apparently done this for us before. Knowing you aren't familiar with the animations very well I wasn't sure if it was you or SO. Maybe it's DH? Or did we get some help with units like the Rhino and Bison Riders from outside the mod core team?

@TB

SO might know who made them since he has made many mods with them. However you could always just look them up in the download section. Such as ...

Deer Archer
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2786

Mammoth Riders
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17790
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17781

Giraffe Archer
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3966

Zebra Riders
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13428

Bison Rider
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7016

Bear Knight

Rhino Rider

Note I made ...

- Llama Rider
- Llama Archer
- Bear Rider

They are not animated and only available in C2C.

Hmm maybe try Warlord_africa.kfm. Its in folder with skins and NIF file.

Top Bottom