artists and artifacts

Ll1442

Chieftain
so I went down to Warlord (lvl 3) for my first game, and has a good tech lead.
I get archaeology, and go spamming archaeologists. after getting 10-15 or so, all my museums are full, and there is simply no space left. this Is on a huge map, with almost 70 antiquity sites, and as I have already spend some of the slots on great works of art. I now have to turn those antiquity sites on the other end of the world into landmarks for the AI to grab.
so gaining some of these, u would have to spawn cities like hell from turn 1, to get enough museums to hold 'em all.

seriously, make more room for Great works of Art, to all those artefacts.

If you're gonna go after tons of artifacts, you need to prepare for it by snagging the wonders that give Great Work of Art slots (i.e. Louvre, Uffizi, etc.). Plus, don't send out dozens of archaeologists if you don't have the necessary slots - as you ran into, you'll be forced to turn all the artifacts into Landmarks if you don't have room for them. Build Amphitheaters and Opera Houses in all your cities in order to get Museums up, which give 2 Art slots each.

I had Museums in them all. seriously.
by the time I hit the limit, I had 10 cities and all the wonders that could hold them (Uffizi is for music if I remember correct). I pumped out settlers sprawling 5 more cities, and 5 settler on route to their locations.

my conclusion is just, that if u are far enough ahead to take most of the artefact, u really need to city spam like crazy.

besides, I had to keep my money coming, my army updated and my Happiness intact.

If you plan to spam acheologists, be sure to turn the sites near your cities into landmarks. That leaves more free space for the artifacts you bring in from around the world.

I'd say landmarks are better anyway - if the dig site is workable by a city, it's generally best to landmark it. You can get some pretty nice modifiers on the landmarks with that world congress resolution + freedom tenet, which will turn into a lot of tourism once you get hotels & airports.

Otherwise go for the culture wonders if you really want to push archaeologists. Spamming new cities just to build museums doesn't seem to me like a good idea, what with the per city tech and social policy penalties.

A General Strategy:
Make Sites in your city radius to be landmark
Make Site outside your territory into artifacts

A landmark from ancient time + 2nd tier freedom tenent New Deal + congress resolution Historical Monuments = 14 culture. Hotel + Airport would then give you 14 tourism, which is worth 7 artifacts.

If you happen to run out of storgae space for artifact, just station the archeologist/some other units on the site so that other civs can't steal it and. If you can't have it, they can't have it either!

Don't forget about cathedrals. They have space for one artifact/great work of art. If you can't get any of the great work of art wonders (Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Louvre etc...) cathedrals are the only building besides the palace that can house artifacts/great works of art until museums.

seriously, make more room for Great works of Art, to all those artefacts.

Why are you digging sites when you can't keep them artifacts? Why are you suggesting a game change because you didn't plan in this one specific huge map game?

Sorry for being a bit off topic but i just can't help myself when i see game change suggestion because someone failed to plan.

I had a whopping three cities in my last game. Museum in each, and Louvre, Sistine Chapel and Uffizi in the capital. I didn't run out of slots at all - the ones near my cities I turned into landmarks, the ones from further away (I got all of the ones on my continent, I think) I snatched as artifacts.

Stop digging when you run out of space, or found more cities to store that ancient junk in. That's your solution.

If you are playing in easy you will likely be able to grab them all if you want but if this is the case change the ones near you in your territory into historical sites and steal the artifacts from the rest of the world .
Also it may be better in early game to use some of your great artists for golden eras ...

A General Strategy:
Make Sites in your city radius to be landmark
Make Site outside your territory into artifacts

A landmark from ancient time + 2nd tier freedom tenent New Deal + congress resolution Historical Monuments = 14 culture. Hotel + Airport would then give you 14 tourism, which is worth 7 artifacts.

If you happen to run out of storgae space for artifact, just station the archeologist/some other units on the site so that other civs can't steal it and. If you can't have it, they can't have it either!

This. I use the same strategy & I am pretty successful at cultural victory & social policies acquisition despite having huge empires.

Top Bottom