Is there a limit on number of cities you can found?

Walter R

Great Engineer
I went back into my last game (already won) just to...well try stuff out. I'm insanely happy (600+) due to all the SPs I've taken so I started founding cities like Hiawatha does (anywhere will do), and my core cities can crank out a settler in a single turn. Thing is I've already founded at least another dozen or so, and if anything I'm getting happier; and as I've never been in a remotely similar position I wondered if there is a game limit?

At least in previous games, there was a cap to the total number of cities that could appear on a map, but I have no idea if that's true in Civ5.

Minimum tile spacing between cities does limit the number of cities on a given map, but the vagaries of map types and layouts means there is no specific maximum per map size.

Always used to go to 'New'. E.g. for India you'd start founding 'New Delhi', never got there in Civ V :)

In Civ V they just pull a Hun and use other civs names from the game.

As stated the limit is a tile based one. Eventually, if you allow cities to grow, you will run out of happiness and that will limit as well (granted it would take a lot of growth, but I have reached the point of unhappiness with no more to gain).

In G&K, I built almost 100 cities in a Carthage game. The cities also all grew to 12+. The only thing that stopped me was space. Happiness was not an issue despite relatively high growth in my cities. If you haven't already done so, make a point to grab Neusch and the CN Tower. The CN Tower is particularly important, because it gives global happiness, which can massively increase your total happiness if you have enough local happiness to sop up the extra happiness from population. I remember CN Tower increasing my happiness by about 50 when I built it.

Well I found out that the game does indeed 'pull an Atilla' but not before throwing up some oddball names (e.g. The Mumbles - wtf? Looked it up, it's in wales). Settled every possible tile, just continued getting happier (I built everything as well) and quickly ran out of things to do after that. Every city on the map was Christian too. Funniest part was settling four cities on a snow island and renaming them all after seaside resorts. Well that's Epic for you, all this by T690! Bored then so started another game.

Top Bottom