AI Free Unit Spawn Spam?!

BarrenEarth

Chieftain
I have tested this in a few games, either continents or Pangaea and on levels King, Immortal and Emperor.

A civ that is in its prime UU era will go to war with me or be attacked by me. Every time I check their gold before the war (or during if surprise) I see little to no gold, with negative productions. I see these results so far:

Zulus surprised attacked me, I was Ethiopia, OCC this started my research. They did not have the top army according to demographics, I did not know their starting reserves but in the course of the war they spammed 30 Impis... 30 of them. The war was 12 turns long. Pangaea, Huge, Marathon, Immortal, OCC

Zulus again, Me as Rome. Spammed uncountable number of Impis, they overtook me, I started the war. They had 234 gold and -2 gold production. Again not the top army. Continents, immortal, Large

Austria, Hussar bum rush. I started the war. They were previously paying me GPT up to the point of the war for my Iron. They had 0 gold and close to 0 production of gold. I was Egypt, Standard, Continents, Emperor

Rome sneak attacked me while I was preparing to test on Persia. They came with an initial 8 Legions. During the course of the 20 turn war they sent in another 40. I already had crossbows so that was easy. King, Standard, Pangaea

About the only civ that doesn't get the spam units is England... although I am still testing that.

So how when a Civ has 4 cities, in 20 turns and little gold do they spam 40 Legions requiring Iron. Even if they were losing 2 every turn, they couldn't produce that off one 6 spot of Iron, and a city would have to purchase or produce a legion every 2 turns.

Is this some kind of difficulty cheat? I mean I am all for the AI getting bonus to gold, or diplomacy, or happiness. But plain out spawning units for free?

I have tested this in a few games, either continents or Pangaea and on levels King, Immortal and Emperor.

A civ that is in its prime UU era will go to war with me or be attacked by me. Every time I check their gold before the war (or during if surprise) I see little to no gold, with negative productions. I see these results so far:

Zulus surprised attacked me, I was Ethiopia, OCC this started my research. They did not have the top army according to demographics, I did not know their starting reserves but in the course of the war they spammed 30 Impis... 30 of them. The war was 12 turns long. Pangaea, Huge, Marathon, Immortal, OCC

Zulus again, Me as Rome. Spammed uncountable number of Impis, they overtook me, I started the war. They had 234 gold and -2 gold production. Again not the top army. Continents, immortal, Large

Austria, Hussar bum rush. I started the war. They were previously paying me GPT up to the point of the war for my Iron. They had 0 gold and close to 0 production of gold. I was Egypt, Standard, Continents, Emperor

Rome sneak attacked me while I was preparing to test on Persia. They came with an initial 8 Legions. During the course of the 20 turn war they sent in another 40. I already had crossbows so that was easy. King, Standard, Pangaea

About the only civ that doesn't get the spam units is England... although I am still testing that.

So how when a Civ has 4 cities, in 20 turns and little gold do they spam 40 Legions requiring Iron. Even if they were losing 2 every turn, they couldn't produce that off one 6 spot of Iron, and a city would have to purchase or produce a legion every 2 turns.

Is this some kind of difficulty cheat? I mean I am all for the AI getting bonus to gold, or diplomacy, or happiness. But plain out spawning units for free?

The AI like to have a lot of units. Are you sure that those "magic" units didn't come from an area that was foggy?

Edit: Do you have a save of this. I mean, there are a lot of people that exaggerate about all kinds of things. I mean, I would love to see the magic 40 for example.

It wasn't 40 all at once, it was over 20 turns. I will try and keep the saves and label them as I am not done testing my hunch.

There's a mod called 'Respawn' Reseed that you can also use to show the whole map at any moment, fully revealed. You can also use the mod retrospectively on saves if I'm not mistaken.
If you're testing anyway that would let you keep much better track of where those units are coming from.

I am using IGE for that purpose. The last game I played was a duel between me as Mongolia and England, she didn't spam units at all, in fact she was overrun by a massive number of barbarians which I have never seen before (raging barbarians was turned off).

I am beginning to think England never spams, just war centered civs do. Interesting.

Big cities produce more production. Perhaps the AI was able to produce 1 unit per turn, or even more. Most warmongering AI's concentrate on 1 thing and that's getting to their UU then going to war with it's nearest neighbour.

48 units coming into view over 20 turns is not that unusual. He probably had most built prior to declaring. Based on what I've seen some other civs pull off that's completely doable. I have a screenshot somewhere of Dido coming at me around turn 120 with an army around that size.

They can also trade for Iron so its likely he had more than 6.

On Immortal difficulty, the AI gets pretty hefty bonuses to building and maintaining units so they can definitely come at you with big armies.

The AI is more likely to go to war with you if it judges it has a good military compared to yours.

The AI values unique units higher than the normal equivalent.

The AI is therefore more likely to go to war with you when it has its unique unit(s).

The AI is more likely to go to war with you if it judges it has a good military compared to yours.

The AI values unique units higher than the normal equivalent.

The AI is therefore more likely to go to war with you when it has its unique unit(s).

There are some civs, even with random personalities on, that never seem to get this spam/attack that I have been seeing. Civs like England. It is weird, it is like they coded something into the civ profiles in BNW to promote this. Reminds me of the old stacks of doom in Civ III.

That's odd, because England's bonuses are almost entirely geared towards combat.

England will DEFINITELY launch surprise naval attacks if she thinks your navy is weak. I wouldn't trust Elizabeth further than I can throw her. (So will Portugal, from my experience.)

England will DEFINITELY launch surprise naval attacks if she thinks your navy is weak. I wouldn't trust Elizabeth further than I can throw her. (So will Portugal, from my experience.)

Ahhh, I don't get to see this often because of my love for Pangaea and Continents. I can see that though being their bonuses to naval units.

What may be possible is that the A.I. queues military unit production, but always stops just before completion (1 turn left or so). That way it would technically be possible to quickly pump out units without purchasing them.

I suspect you're giving the AI a bit too much credit, but you are correct about the mechanic. Note, however, that hammers don't last forever. For units, hammer decay starts after 10 turns and is 2% per turn thereafter, while hammer decay for buildings begins after 50 turns and is 1% per turn thereafter.

Top Bottom