[Sword of Islam]: Byzantine Conquest

blizzrd

Micromanager

This SG uses the Sword of Islam mod-mod by embyrodead, version 0.3.5.

Settings:
Byzantines on Sultan (Monarch) difficulty, spawn in 750 CE.

Goals:
1. Win by Conquest only (not Domination, 2/3 UHV is recommended).
2. Must not vassalize any civ and must refuse all flips.
3. After 1453, only Orthodoxy permitted within Asia Minor.
4. Must have Orthodoxy in all of our cities (that are out of revolt).
5. Must have at least one city in each civ's spawn area and our culture must be present on every land mass (i.e. all islands).
6. Cities with World Wonders cannot be razed.
7. Finish the tech tree.

Other goals (as suggested) to be developed in-game.

Players:
1. blizzrd
2. jusos2108
3. AnotherPacifist
4. rrosen
5. Science Rules

10-12 moves each. Replays if majority votes yes.

Who will join me in the conquest of the Middle East?

I am in!:D

I'll come back to the strategies later.
I'll also try to come up with some goals.

Just Sultan? :rolleyes:

You should add the conquest of northern India, northern Africa and all those central Asian "-stans" that are somewhat murky in the modern Western mindset. :lol:

I'm in.

Things we should do (from my previous UHV game with them):
1. build Germanikeia (1NE) before Sis spawns. Great defensive site (on a hill, and next to a river) with decent production and a logical Summer Palace location.
2. give a city or 2 (Sevasteia +/- Trapezius) to Armenia (preferably one that will flip to Rum in the future) to befriend them and later get them as a voluntary vassal. It will also allow us to steal 1-2 techs from Armenia easier. One less city will make techs cheaper.
3. Capture Tarsus early on and spread Sunni in a non-Asia Minor city and try to build Spiral Minaret.
4. Raze Antioch to disallow spawn of PoA, and built a fort on the forested hill just north of it--the only other entrance to Tarsus is blocked off (besides Germanikeia).

How about spreading Orthodoxy in all our cities (even in India)?

Having a city in every province of the map basicly excludes vassals, so I would say that we can't have vassals is one our conditions.

My early strategy with Byzantine is always to capture Damascus and Tarsos asap. First go for Tarsos, then hire two merc HAs and take Damascus. Damascus can build all the Sunni wonders easily.

First tech should be Long Distance Trade.

Tbh I don't see the usefulness of Germanikeia. To defend against who? If we are going for the whole map, it is too close to Constantinople to have SP. Soltanieyh in Jerusalem and SP maybe in Estafan or Herat.

I'm in.
My usual starting strategy is to set science to zero, then build lots of workers and axemen/horsemen, in order to quickly develop the land and quickly destroy barbarians before they can pillage anything.

Will a destroyed Antioch stop the spawn of PoA entirely?!

Yes, a destroyed Antioch prevents PoA from spawning...at least the last time I played it.

But blizzrd, it's impossible not to win domination if you have a city in each province.

Can you relax it to a city in each major area (e.g. Syria, Egypt, Hindustan, etc)?

Tbh I don't see the usefulness of Germanikeia. To defend against who? If we are going for the whole map, it is too close to Constantinople to have SP. Soltanieyh in Jerusalem and SP maybe in Estafan or Herat.

Against barbs (of which there are many, not just Mongols). And it's practically the most productive city location that can be built without an eventual flip to either PoA, Rum, Zengids and Ak Koyunlu.

BTW, I do not recommend expanding until we have blast furnace and black powder at least. Which means that conquests will need to wait until most of the major civs have come and gone (probably around 1400 or so, after Ak Koyunlu spawns and maybe even later, after Timurids die).

How would playing caliph affect us? To be honest, I haven't even tried it once, what is the difference between sultan and caliph?

Stability is worse and techs are more expensive in caliph. Civs are less friendly (and much more likely to war and not vassalize voluntarily).
However, it's nowhere as punishing as emperor before Rhye made emperor easier.

1. build Germanikeia (1NE) before Sis spawns. Great defensive site (on a hill, and next to a river) with decent production and a logical Summer Palace location.
Sis? Where is Germanikeia exactly?
2. give a city or 2 (Sevasteia +/- Trapezius) to Armenia (preferably one that will flip to Rum in the future) to befriend them and later get them as a voluntary vassal. It will also allow us to steal 1-2 techs from Armenia easier. One less city will make techs cheaper.
I've never had any trouble getting either Armenia or Georgia to be a voluntary vassal, if that has been my desire.
3. Capture Tarsus early on and spread Sunni in a non-Asia Minor city and try to build Spiral Minaret.
Agree on capturing Tarsus early. It is always my first target with the starting Swordsman, after picking up some XP and CityRaider promotions from barbs. I usually keep Antioch (with Sunni) and build Spiral Minaret there personally.
4. Raze Antioch to disallow spawn of PoA, and built a fort on the forested hill just north of it--the only other entrance to Tarsus is blocked off (besides Germanikeia).
PoA has never been a particularly big problem, just another source of XP. If Abbasids are still alive (sometimes, but not always), they will often capture the independent Antioch and suck up a bunch of PoA units in the process. I do make it a strategy to raze Edessa though.
How about spreading Orthodoxy in all our cities (even in India)?
Yup.
Having a city in every province of the map basicly excludes vassals, so I would say that we can't have vassals is one our conditions.
Upon further consideration, probably true. I'm OK to relax the every province of the map condition to avoid unwanted Domination Victory mostly. How about we make it one city within every civ's spawn zone, plus one city on every land mass? Doesn't have to be former capital (if it sucks) or a pre-existsing city per se. No vassals is interesting, needs some more consideration?
My early strategy with Byzantine is always to capture Damascus and Tarsos asap. First go for Tarsos, then hire two merc HAs and take Damascus. Damascus can build all the Sunni wonders easily.
I like.
First tech should be Long Distance Trade.
Agree.
Still unsure where Germanikeia is, but I tend to agree "defend against who"? Other than Barbs and spawns/flips, I've never had a problem defending against other existing civs yet.
I'm in.
My usual starting strategy is to set science to zero, then build lots of workers and axemen/horsemen, in order to quickly develop the land and quickly destroy barbarians before they can pillage anything.
Agree. I tend to go easy on the axemen and just build a couple of horsemen units for Barbs. I also focus on Markets early after building enough workers and work boats to get started.
Will a destroyed Antioch stop the spawn of PoA entirely?!
Yes, a destroyed Antioch prevents PoA from spawning...at least the last time I played it.
I think Edessa would also need to be destroyed? As I said earlier, I've never tried to prevent PoA spawning though.
BTW, I do not recommend expanding until we have blast furnace and black powder at least. Which means that conquests will need to wait until most of the major civs have come and gone (probably around 1400 or so, after Ak Koyunlu spawns and maybe even later, after Timurids die).
Agree with limit expanding too much (not beyond about Damascus) for quite some time, definitely get many techs going first.

Has anybody been declared upon by those promoted Zengid horse archers, playing as Byzantines? I don't think that's uncommon, especially if you take out PoA first and if Zengid makes peace with KoJ.

Sis appears as an indy city 1NE of the wheat near Tarsus. Germanikeia is 1NE of Sis. If you garrison Germanikeia and the forested hill that is north of Antioch, you basically guarantee that the entrance to Anatolia is secured (the AI is not so smart that it'll cross 1N of Germanikeia first to attack).

A more productive city would be 2E of Germanikeia, but it's not nearly as defensible from the south.

BTW, I usually raze Kaiseria (Kayseri) once I recapture it from Rum--it's a small city that cannot grow big and overlaps with Germanikeia, and we don't need another city to defend against the Mongols.

When you say "no other religions other than Orthodoxy in Asia Minor" does that mean Islam needs to be eradicated on capture of Tarsus? Or is it by a certain date, say 1453? (the latter would be much preferable so that we can build the wonders)

All islandS?? You're kidding, right? You mean that little island that the Portuguese like to capture (Suqutra)?:D

A bit after the Mamluks have spawned we could control Levant and Lower Egypt, with the juicy corps these cities will give us tons of money that easily outweights the tech penalty. BTW, the tech penalty is lower in SoI than RFC, so getting big isn't as costly.

Other stuff:

I agree on razing Edessa. Also I would rather found the city 2E of Germanikeia, which is way better. It doesn't flip to anyone either.

I don't think Edessa or Tripoli need to be razed for PoA to not exist. If there's no Antioch, there's no starting troops for PoA, and they won't even exist as a civ, i.e. no 3rd turn for cities to flip.

If you try to raze Edessa, it will reappear as a rebel city later on. (it's scripted)

But it seems people don't like the idea of Germanikeia, so I guess we should just let the PoA be and vassalize or kill them.

But Rodos is 2 islands--do you want 2 cities?

Top Bottom