Pre-made World vs Scenarios

Petrus Octavian

Chieftain
Am I right in assuming that Pre-made Worlds means that just the geography is pre-made, but everything else, like which civs are in play and where they are located, is random? And that if you need a good "simulation" of say Ancient Europe, you need a scenario where the Romans, Greeks and Carthagians are hand placed in their correct locations?

If so, which World, Europe (starting 4000 BC) scenarios are considered the best?

I tried the Mediterr map included with Test of Time playing as the Carthagians, and it was a disappointment - just grassland everywhere.

When selecting pre-made world, if the map file contains civ locations, you will be asked if you want to retain them or randomize everything. Also, resource seed may be randomized as well if it was set to a specific number in editor.

As for the scenarios and maps, you might want to check out the original Rome scenario that shipped with the game. It's the same map - geographically speaking - as the all-grass you mentioned but it has all the plains/hill/desert etc. versatility.

You can open saved games in map editor and it will read the map that the save file uses so look around the download section for ancient Europe scenarios and just select the one you like most. Or start the aforementioned Rome scenario, save the game, open saved game in map editor and save as a .map file.

I'm playing MGE so I'm not sure if map files are interchangeable between MGE and ToT but I can post it here anyway so you could give it a shot.

The best Europe map that I've seen on these forums is called Euroland.mp. Just scroll down the list and you'll find it here. (This site has a weird, schizophrenic way of storing maps and scenarios: about a fourth of them are available in the 'downloads' section of the forum, while the 'downloads' section of the main site itself leads to a different place, with many more maps and scenarios to choose from! :crazyeye: It took me a long time to find this other place; they should try and merge these two storage places somehow.)

EDIT: If you want a short game on a fairly accurate world map (Europe is enlarged, which causes some distortion in Asia), look no further than my sig. ;) (A little pushy perhaps, but with 17 downloads a fella has to use every opportunity. :p)

Another questions that has arisen while playing the original Rome scenario:
How do I know what my Objectives are???

The best Europe map that I've seen on these forums is called Euroland.mp. Just scroll down the list and you'll find it here. (This site has a weird, schizophrenic way of storing maps and scenarios: about a fourth of them are available in the 'downloads' section of the forum, while the 'downloads' section of the main site itself leads to a different place, with many more maps and scenarios to choose from! :crazyeye: It took me a long time to find this other place; they should try and merge these two storage places somehow.)

EDIT: If you want a short game on a fairly accurate world map (Europe is enlarged, which causes some distortion in Asia), look no further than my sig. ;) (A little pushy perhaps, but with 17 downloads a fella has to use every opportunity. :p)

Thanks for the heads up. I've also downloaded your scenario and maybe I will even play it one day (so many games, so little time).

Another questions that has arisen while playing the original Rome scenario:
How do I know what my Objectives are???
The only objectives are capturing cities. Click on any city and it will tell you whether it is an objective or not. Sometimes wonders count as objectives too so cities with wonders count for more than one objective.

Top Bottom