How does Cultural Victory work?

manu-fan

Emperor
Hi,

I got one in my last game as Poland, but there was one Civ I still hadn't met, but it's capital had been taken.

So, am I to assume it's - Influential with every Civ that at least has a Capital?

Cheers.

Capital doesn't matter. You need to be influential with every civ who is in the game - the unknown civ who lost their capital was presumably completely wiped out.

Which raises an interesting question - could you liberate a long-dead civilization to delay someone who was about to win culture?

It is influential with every civ that is still in the game.. if that other civ lost ALL their cities, then you don't need to get Influential over them.

Which raises an interesting question - could you liberate a long-dead civilization to delay someone who was about to win culture?

probably.. however a long dead civ
1. wouldn't have a lot of total culture
2. wouldn't be producing a lot of culture per turn

So it might be a good way to delay a culture win a few turns, but someone about to win culture could probably culturally influence a liberated civ in 10-20 turns (total off the top of my head made up number)

I'd really hope we could start calling it what it is, a Tourism Victory. There is no Cultural Victory.

OK thanks. I guess I can just go by the tooltip that says how many out of how many you need for victory. I don't believe there's another way of telling if an unknown Civ has been wiped out, is there?

Cheers.

OK thanks. I guess I can just go by the tooltip that says how many out of how many you need for victory. I don't believe there's another way of telling if an unknown Civ has been wiped out, is there?

Cheers.

If their score is 0 they have been wiped out

I'd really hope we could start calling it what it is, a Tourism Victory. There is no Cultural Victory.
Unless you get a super early religion/Sacred Sites based victory, almost all of the tourism at the end of a cultural victory is coming from culture sources through hotels, airports, etc.

yeah pretty much everything that provides tourism comes from culture. Tourism has it's own mulitpliers but the base (great works, artifacts, wonders, landmarks, etc.) also provide culture. Basically, they go hand in hand. Calling it a culture victory is fine, imo.

They do, unless they were reduced to 0 before you met them and you have reloaded a saved game.

They do, unless they were reduced to 0 before you met them and you have reloaded a saved game.

Well, that's my issue then. They are not shown if I have not met them yet, and not shown if they're wiped out and I reload (yes, my games usually consist of many smaller play times). Thanks. The Tourism tooltip is the go to for this. No problem.

Cheers.

Top Bottom