Bodvoc of the Dobunni : a 3D animated, era-specific leaderhead with pcxs

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator

Download Bodvoc

The Dobunni were one of the Celtic tribes living in the British Islands prior to the Roman invasion of Britain. The tribe lived in part of West and South West England, including the former Avon, north Somerset and Gloucestershire. Their capital acquired the Roman name of Corinium Dobunnorum, known today as Cirencester.

The Dobunni were a large group of farmers and craftsmen, living in small villages concentrated in fertile valleys. They were one of the few tribes known to issue coins before Roman arrival. Unlike the Silures, their neighbours, they were not a warlike people and submitted to the Romans even before they reached their lands. Afterwards they adopted the Roman lifestyle.

Numismatic evidence suggests that the Dobunni kings subdivided their land between a north and south zone, sometimes becoming unified in a single ruler.

Principal towns and settlements in Dobunni territory

Alcester - (Warwickshire) - Small walled town.

Ariconium - (Weston-under-Penyard, Hereford & Worcester) - A major settlement and administrative centre situated near the Forest of Dean.

Asthall (Oxfordshire) - Minor settlement on Akeman Street, between Corinium and Alchester.

Atrebatum - (Silchester, Hampshire) near the border with the Atrebates.

Bagendon - (Gloucestershire) - Notable oppidum-style pre-Roman settlement near Corinium. Hereford (Hereford & Worcester) - Possible Roman settlement or posting station.

Blackwardine - (Hereford & Worcester) - Minor settlement near border with the Cornovii in the north of the canton.

Bourton on the Water - (Gloucestershire) - Major settlement on Fosse Way NE of Corinium.

Chesterton-on-Fosse - (Warwickshire) - A small walled town near the border with the Coritani in the NE of the canton.

Corinium Dobunnorum - (Cirencester, Gloucester) - Established by the Romans at the centre of a network of local roads. At it's height the town covered more than 230 acres, the fourth largest town in Roman Britain.

Cricklade - (Wiltshire) - Minor settlement on Ermin Way SE of Corinium.

Dorn - (Gloucestershire) - Romano-British town on Fosse Way NE of Corinium. Lower Lea (nr. Swalcliffe, Oxfordshire) - minor settlement near borders with the Catuvellauni.

Durocornovium - (Wanborough, Wiltshire) - Major settlement on Ermin Way between Corinium and Calleva

Glevum - (Gloucester, Gloucestershire) - The site of at least two large Roman fortresses, a Roman colonia was established here in AD97.

Magnis (Kenchester, Hereford & Worcester) - Small town where a milestone of emperor Numerian was found, suggesting that the Civitas Dobunnorum held sway also on the west bank of the Severn. Separated from the civitas capital Corinium by the territorium of the Roman colony at Glevum, it is possible that Kenchester was the centre of an administrative pagus.

Nettleton Shrub - (Wiltshire) - Rural temple on the Fosse Way between Corinium and Aquae Sulis (Bath), marking the border between the Dobunni and the Belgae.

Salinae - (Droitwich Spa, Hereford & Worcester) - Major town whose important salt industries were worth guarding by the establishment of an auxiliary fort.

Sutton Walls - (Hereford & Worcester) - Iron Age hill fort continued to be occupied by a small community into Roman times.

Stretton Grandison - (Hereford & Worcester) - Minor settlement and auxiliary fort.

Tiddington - (Warwickshire) - Minor industrial settlement.

Vertis - (Worcester, Hereford & Worcester) - Town and potteries on the east bank of the Severn, at an important strategic crossing.

White Walls - (Easton Grey, Wiltshire) - Minor settlement on the Fosse Way SW of Corinium.

Wilcote - (Oxfordshire) - Cluster of villas and possible settlement on Akeman Street, near the border with the Catuvellauni.

Some of the Dobunni kings and queens

Anted-- Leader of the Dobunnic territories during the first decade of the first century AD. He seemed to have brought together the northern and southern factions of the tribe under a leadership for the first time since the division of the tribe in the latter half of the first century BC. This division was antagonised by their respective successors Catti-- and Comux--. Anted-- appears to have been succeeded by Eisu--, possibly his own son, 30AD.

Bodvoc It is probable that he ruled over the northern part of the Dobunni tribe. His brother, Corio appeared to have ruled over the southern part of the tribe,. Whether the division of the Dobunnic kingdom was agree by decree or war, is not known. The is evidence shows that Corio ruled over the entire Dobunnic kingdom for a while before Bodvoc took over in the north. It is possible that Bodvoc was succeeded by Catti-- in the north, while Corio was replaced by Comux-- in the southern territories.

Catti-- Possibly inherited the northern Dobunnic lands from Bodvoc around 1BC - 1AD.

Comux-- Possibly succeeded Corio as the king of the southern Dobunni around 1BC - 1AD.

Corio King of the southern Dobunni in Gloucester towards the end of the first century BC. . It is possible that the splitting of the Dobunnic territories occurred during his reign. Corio was succeeded at around 1BC - 1AD by Comux--.

Eisu-- Successor to the united Dobunnic throne following the re-merger of the tribe by Anted--. He assumed power around 30AD, and was probably chieftain during the Roman invasion, though whether he was leader of the faction of the Dobunni that surrendered to Plautius is unknown.

Inam-- Appeared to rule over the entire Dobunnic territory. Whether he ruled the kingdom prior to it being divided and shared by Bodvoc and Corio or after the tribe was reunited under the kingship of Anted--, will probaby never be known.

Note : Where two dashes (--) follow a name, this name is incomplete and only the portion known is quoted.

Hmmm.... what's not to like in these? Terrific backgrounds, fantastic clothing :thumbsup: ... :hmm: - maybe the hairstyles are a bit out of fashion ;) :p (a bit too much brylcrem for my taste :D )

The images are the consistent high quality we have come to expect from you. Very nice. I really appreciate the historical context and extra info you provide too.

The changing hair color struck me as strange too. I prefer #1 and #3 (in that order).. although #4 is certainly a common enough hair color there these days...

Also, why bother with the file host? You can just place them in the database here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=13 )

Very nice! My only complaint is that he doesn't look very ruler-like in, IMO, any era except for the 2nd (which is the best of the bunch, I think) In the first he looks like a farm owner, in the third like a naval... guy, and in the 4th like a politician. Maybe it's just because he's so young :)

Looks great, R8XFT, especially the Medieval and Industrial! I'm definitely going to see if it's possible for me to use that medieval in my mod, even if I can only fit it in a scenario.:goodjob: :)

Very nice head:)

If one should use his medieval era for a head, what civ fits the his coat of arms? Just wondering.

Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate what you're saying about the hair colour change. I actually did this as a single-era leaderhead and thought I'd experiment with the other eras. I felt that the Medieval and Industrial eras could potentially be standalone leaderheads as well.

I'm not sure about the coat of arms, but I did a spearman for Anno Domini which matched this (in the mod I used him as the Brigantian Spearman).

mmmrrrr said:
In the first he looks like a farm owner
Actually, he was!!

R8XFT said:
Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate what you're saying about the hair colour change. I actually did this as a single-era leaderhead and thought I'd experiment with the other eras. I felt that the Medieval and Industrial eras could potentially be standalone leaderheads as well.

I'm not sure about the coat of arms, but I did a spearman for Anno Domini which matched this (in the mod I used him as the Brigantian Spearman).

Actually, he was!!

I sort of figured :D

I just thought he'd be taller in person, you know?

You may or may not have noticed, but I've changed my style slightly with this guy. The style just has him taken "a little further away from the camera" so that you can actually see more of his body. I hope people like this :) .

R8XFT said:
You may or may not have noticed, but I've changed my style slightly with this guy. The style just has him taken "a little further away from the camera" so that you can actually see more of his body. I hope people like this :) .
Yup, I liked this approach on the green Orion Slave Girl and still like it on this dude. It does put more of a strain on you, the LH creator, as more of the LH must be animated, clothed, etc... plus it exposes more of the background as the LH takes a slightly smaller % of the total frame. So long as you're up to the task, stay with this. I say it works rather well,

R8XFT said:

I didn't notice immediately, but had a little later while admiring the clothing in the medieval, which I really love the texture.:) I think it looks fine, and the leaderhead is definitely outstanding, but personally I don't really like to mix different leaderhead sizes in the same mod/scenario, meaning some as shoulders and up, and others as chest and up. But I would have no problem with a mod/scenario with leaderheads all in that style. Other than that personal preference, I definitely love the leaderhead and think it's great.:goodjob: :)

Looking great as usual, Robbo! Anyway, why don't you upload the file to the Database? Thats why Thunderfall and company went all the trouble og getting it.

Goldflash said:
Looking great as usual, Rob! Anyway, why don't you upload the file to the Database? Thats why Thunderfall and company went all the trouble of getting it.
It's 14.4MB and I was under the impression that Thunderfall would prefer it being uploaded at 3ddownloads (from whom I'm still waiting an e-mail).

These are simply amazing! Why do the hair colors change?

Top Bottom