Simple questions, simple answers

It looks like it doubles your base outcome. I just ran a test case, and my tourism output went from ~950 to ~1400 after the internet finished. I had a bunch of other percentage-based modifiers (National Visitor's Center, Media Culture), so my guess is that it just piles another 100% onto whatever your current multiplier is.

Edit: Confirmation. The next turn, I scored first place at the International Games, and the 100% tourism boost brought my total to ~1900. It looks like my "base" culture was around 500 or so, and the multipliers each lumped another 500 on.

Just as I suspected. Guess it would be OP otherwise. Thank you for the answer!

When you hover over a Merchant of Venice, does it say "Venetian Merchant of Venice"?

Okay guys... I am a culture player. I need help.

How many levels of similarity do you target for your theming bonus? So I got two works of Art in my Museum. I need same era, same civ, but what about the type of artifact? For example, I had an ancient barbarian axe. Then I had ancient Ottoman beeds. The theme stated "Museum of Ancient Warfare". I don't get it. Beeds are not weapons no? Or am I missing something?

Guilds strategy questions:

I built my Artist Guild as soon as it was available. But I didn't have any slots available for Great Art (I filled my palace with a free Artist at the end of Liberty). So I've got this artist cooling his heels and my A-Guild has another one on the way. I'm still an era away from Museums.

Is this the best way to do this? To collect artists, then make the Art when I have slots.

Or should I burn these early artists for Golden Ages?

Or should I wait till I have Museums to build the Artist Guild?

It seems like Artifacts and Art will be mostly interchangeable, should I even bother with Great Artists?

Sorry if i could find this info somewhere else, but since tomorrow i'll get BNW, can someone tell me the gmt time it will be available and how much is the download? I dont have a particularly quick connection so i would like to know how long it will take me to download it, thanks :)

If I trade food or production with an internal trade route, say from my cap to another city, does the capital lose the extra food? is it a straight transfer or is it extra food?

If I trade food or production with an internal trade route, say from my cap to another city, does the capital lose the extra food? is it a straight transfer or is it extra food?

It is extra food. There's no loss of food from the originating city. Remember that by doing this, you're forgoing the gold you could get from trading with a foreign civ.

I have a question about great works of music.

The only basic building that I can find to put them into is the opera house.

One would think that they could go into more buildings since more buildings can house other types of great works.

Music can go into the Broadway wonder. Are they any other buildings that can house music?

Thx .. neilkaz ..

Okay, here's what may be a stupid question:

If I go full Piety in the beginning of the game, and manage to get all the way through to Reformation before I actually found a religion...is this not retroactive once I do found one?

Because I just had this situation happen as Poland, and when I founded my religion, I did not get a reformation belief.

~R~

Okay guys... I am a culture player. I need help.

How many levels of similarity do you target for your theming bonus? So I got two works of Art in my Museum. I need same era, same civ, but what about the type of artifact? For example, I had an ancient barbarian axe. Then I had ancient Ottoman beeds. The theme stated "Museum of Ancient Warfare". I don't get it. Beeds are not weapons no? Or am I missing something?

Maybe if you throw them really hard? Nah, the "of _____ warfare" just means that it's an artifact museum as opposed to an art museum. You'll know that you've maxed the bonus on a museum when it gives you the +2 bonus (more if you're France or you've finished the Aesthetics tree).

Guilds strategy questions:

I built my Artist Guild as soon as it was available. But I didn't have any slots available for Great Art (I filled my palace with a free Artist at the end of Liberty). So I've got this artist cooling his heels and my A-Guild has another one on the way. I'm still an era away from Museums.

Is this the best way to do this? To collect artists, then make the Art when I have slots.

Or should I burn these early artists for Golden Ages?

Or should I wait till I have Museums to build the Artist Guild?

It seems like Artifacts and Art will be mostly interchangeable, should I even bother with Great Artists?

If you're building wonders with art/artifact slots, a lot of them--as in, everything but the Louvre--demands art, not artifacts. If you're building an artists guild and finding a bunch of extra artists sitting around, then you're probably just letting your tech wander too much before getting to archaeology (it happened to me in my first BNW game).

As for golden ages versus archaeologists? Depends on how many artifacts you can snag up, really. If you want to win a culture game, a great work sitting on a pedestal does more for you in the long run than a golden age, but if you have an army of archaeologists, the paintings might end up being redundant. Do you have enough of a tech lead to loot your neighbors without incident?

I have a question about great works of music.

The only basic building that I can find to put them into is the opera house.

One would think that they could go into more buildings since more buildings can house other types of great works.

Music can go into the Broadway wonder. Are they any other buildings that can house music?

Thx .. neilkaz ..

Broadcast towers also have a great work of music slot, and the Sydney Opera House has two more. All in all, there aren't that many places to put music. Worse, great musicians' tourism strength for concerts is based on when they're generated, not when they're used, so if you don't have or expect to have any places to put a great work of music, you might want to clear out the guild so that your "offensive" great musicians hit like a ton of bricks.

Can anyone explain how resource diversity works? Is it limited to luxury resources? Does it just give a gold bonus? How do Portugal's UA and UI not conflict?

Can anyone explain how resource diversity works? Is it limited to luxury resources? Does it just give a gold bonus? How do Portugal's UA and UI not conflict?

Resource diversity counts both luxury and strategic resources (but not bonus resources like cow, stone, fish etc.). The resources that count are the ones in the cultural sphere of the city, so they can be outside the three tile radius that your city can work, as long as that city claimed that tile culturally. Then you add all the resources from both the source and the destination city and all the ones that exist in one city but not the other are the ones that count for resource diversity. Each diverse resource than adds .5 gold (double for Portugal) to the value of the trade route for the owner of the trade route.

Portugal's UI and UA don't conflict, because the UI adds resources to the empire, not a specific city.

A simple question:
Does intensity of military conflicts influence in any way the number of possible archaeological dig sites?

Lack of art slots before Archaeology is usually a symptom of not bothering to build the wonders with slots in... several World Wonders, plus Hermitage as a NW (requires Opera Houses, so it's a tad later than the A-Guild)

1- Please explain the Swap Great Works scree? Am I swapping with other civilizations here? If so, why do this?
2- Antiquity sites v. Hidden sites?
3- After excavating a site, creating an artifact message says, "Artifact will be placed in nearest GWA slot." This could be another civilization's slot?

How do the dynamics between "trade route owner" and "city owner" work? Do trade route owners get more gold by default, or does that only happen with specific bonuses (like Morocco's UA or the East India Company)? If City B makes an international trade route to City A, can City A make a trade route to B so that both civs can be trade route owners? And this one might be a little difficult to answer, but do you ever notice the AI being more eager to establish a trade route with one of your cities after you build the East India Company, or if you play as Morocco?

Oh, I'm not done yet! What promotions does the Zulu UB give?

What's the difference in the special abilities for great artist, musician and writer?

And lastly, a pure opinion based one, did you find it harder or easier or just about the same to achieve whatever victory you went for first?

I hope I didn't go overboard.

A simple question:
Does intensity of military conflicts influence in any way the number of possible archaeological dig sites?

Well, dig sites can't appear unless you've looted ruins or had a fight, so if you never let any enemies get within three tiles of your cities, you won't be building many landmarks. Having said that, there's a set number of total dig sites that the game generates, so waging repeated battles over the same patch of land won't leave you with an entire field full of artifacts.

1- Please explain the Swap Great Works scree? Am I swapping with other civilizations here? If so, why do this?
2- Antiquity sites v. Hidden sites?
3- After excavating a site, creating an artifact message says, "Artifact will be placed in nearest GWA slot." This could be another civilization's slot?

1- Swapping with other civilizations allows you to get a wider variety of artifacts, which is important if you're going for a theming bonus. Oxford University, for example, specifically will not give you a bonus unless you use foreign (as in "gained through swaps or outright looting") works.
2- Hidden sites work the exact same way as antiquity sites. They still give either a monument or a standard-strength artifact. The only differences is that they're invisible to anyone who hasn't finished the Exploration tree.
3- Nope, just your own. If you have no slots available, the button will be darkened and inactive.

How do the dynamics between "trade route owner" and "city owner" work? Do trade route owners get more gold by default, or does that only happen with specific bonuses (like Morocco's UA or the East India Company)? If City B makes an international trade route to City A, can City A make a trade route to B so that both civs can be trade route owners? And this one might be a little difficult to answer, but do you ever notice the AI being more eager to establish a trade route with one of your cities after you build the East India Company, or if you play as Morocco?

Oh, I'm not done yet! What promotions does the Zulu UB give?

What's the difference in the special abilities for great artist, musician and writer?

And lastly, a pure opinion based one, did you find it harder or easier or just about the same to achieve whatever victory you went for first?

I hope I didn't go overboard.

Trade route owners get more gold by default, though the extra bonus from a UA or wonder might tip it back in favor of the recipient civilization. In general, though, the system favors the player who invested production in building the trade unit. Cities A and B can run reciprocal trade routes.

The Zulu unique promotions that I know of are the "buffalo" series--chest, horns, and loins. All of them give a 25% flanking bonus and a 10% bonus against ranged attacks. In addition, Buffalo Loins gives a 10% overall combat bonus, Buffalo Chest gives a 10% bonus in open terrain, and Buffalo Horns gives +1 movement.

All of the cultural great people can make a great work of their matching type. In addition, great artists can trigger golden ages the same as in GnK, great writers can make a political treatise that gives you a lump sum of culture to spend on social policies (though I'm not sure if it feeds into your defense against foreign tourism), and musicians can go on a concert tour that serves as a tourism bomb--a large dump of tourism on a single civilization, and a smaller amount toward all other players.

I noticed something seems to have changed with the way city-states grant resources. It seemed like, even when I was allied with a city-state, I wasn't receiving their strategic resources, and in one case, even paid to have the develop a strategic resource, and still didn't receive it. I still receive their luxury resources and other benefits, however. I'm not entirely sure if this is a feature or a bug. Has anyone else experienced this?

Top Bottom