70 turns of non stop war?

Theruss

Warlord
I literally had 6 out of the 8 AI Civs declare war on me, I managed to hold back Rome, The Celts, and the Netherlands on three different fronts. The other Civs were on a different continent. I did so well against Rome, I counterattacked and took all 3 of his cities. I tried to sue for peace when I took 2 of the cities but Caesar would rather be destroyed apparently.

After that I just defended the other two fronts for 70 turns. Then a 7th AI on another continent declared war. Then I just decided to retire, since I was not having fun at all.

I tried after every 10 turns to sue for peace with some and then any of the Civs but they never accepted any sort of peace offer. I have never experienced this in all my 1000+ hours of playing, it was like permanent war.

This is Emperor difficulty and my warmongering before this was just capturing the city state Hong Kong, because it had good lands and it was in my way. Sigh, I have captured city states before, and know the AI hate it when you capture CS, but this game was just ridiculous.

Anyone else have a similar situation in one of their games?

Only 70? Try eternal war that only ends with death of Caesar and capture of their last city.

I was chilling and being a petty Medieval warlord with surrounding medieval warlords being petty. Petty Gandhi, Alexander, Napoleon, Isabella, and two other guys I forgot. To the distant west I only know the eastern edge of russian kingdom.

I was getting notifications that a civ was getting eliminated every 10 turns or something, map was huge and this was back in Civ 5 Vanilla.

The medieval warlords was stuck in a stalemate including me, I managed to take out the spanish. But that didn't improve the situation that much so it was no different.

Then in the west, the russian borders disappeared and vanished, as in wiped off the map, and I didn't know who did that cuz i was warring against isabella while defending and keeping other kingdoms in check as they warred against each other.

For some reason France stagnated with just four cities and was stuck in classical era and still fielded spearmen and warriors. So I ignored them cuz they were no threat.

And, then I met Caesar, And for some reason I didn't bother to look at his score so I thought he was just another weak dude. He dow'd France who was my neighbor and took him out with Legionnaires. i didn't like that, I launched a counterattack and crushed the first legionnaire army occupying France. After I took over all of France I sent my knights and landsknechts west to the uncharted territory where roman empire laid in the fog.

My army was 20+ units big and had two great generals accompanying cuz I knew I would be traveling far because i suspected that their territory is somewhere west of russia and I somehow conveniently forgot that russia got wiped out although Id didn't know who wiped them out.

Halfway through traveling in the fog of war, I happened upon second legionnaire army and crushed them easily without losing a single unit. I was filled with delusion of easy glory and continued the march west.

And then I saw WW2 Infantry unit. I was like, uh.. continue on! He must've gotten lucky with ancient ruins! And second and third.. I turned my army around and ran for my life. At this point, I was in middle of the russian lands but south of them. They was quite faraway and I managed to flee for some distance but they caught up with me with ww2 tanks. 3/4 of the army died to tanks but both of my generals got away alive and didn't get killed.

And while this was going on, I shifted into full on Landsknecht's carpet of Annoying death with knights sprinkled here and there. Forts and Citadels was built.

Those tanks that smashed my army which was intended to conquer the roman empire with.. suicided upon my soldiers inside my borders because they was running at like -20% inefficiency or something from unhappy because roman empire expanded so damn fast and kept every single city.

Caesar launched many armies at me in many different directions trying to find a weak point to take me over but I wasn't having any of it, my carpet slowly killed caesar and I let my cities be hit as necessary to seriously damage their ww2 units for knights to charge in and finish them off and flee.

I was trying to get a white peace for the whole time but caesar was like lolnope ur losing gimme all ur cities bish. I was like eh nah, i rather kill your soldiers again and again than give up my cities without a fight sucks to be you Caesar.

Caesar lol screw you I got atomic bombs ur cities mine.

And that marks the only time I ever got hit by an atomic bomb while I was in medieval era or was it renaissance by then? Can't remember. Caesar failed to take the city that got nuked. I had too many reinforcements waiting to block and make caesar die for me.

So this repeated for hundreds of years as Germany kingdom watched other fellow warlords vanish one by one to the roman tanks leaving Germany all alone. But Caesar was too slow in subjugating my unwilling allies because I managed to pull Panzers out by then and send them up against roman tanks and win and take territory of my unwillingly allies territory from caesar and keep them.

Even when I did that, Caesar was still like, lol nope you gonna lose to us we have far bigger military than u do suckahs to be u bish.

I gave up and warred on there was even a huge stretch of desert on that map where i had fun pretending to be rommel fox in There was lots of tanks and panzers on both sides being blown up in there desert. And of course, pillaging, there was plenty of pillaging gold for me as pillaged stuff on the desert. After the desert came under my control, I was like uh wow that's alot of burning tiles.

After I took Caesar's capital, i decided to finish Caesar off for once and all. He had such a freaking huge empire. Half of Pangaea was basically his, and I took it all from him just because his tank blitz failed horribly due to unhappiness against my medieval kingdom. That was only time I saw unhappy hurt the AI back in the days of infinite happiness for AI only in Vanilla!

A eternal war that lasted for hundreds of turns lol because he had superior military numbers that also OUTTECHED me. I didn't even have any research pacts going on at all except for occasional ones with Gandhi who grudgingly signed a few of them with me. Slowly researched my way to WW2 level before continuing the offense while blocking unhappy roman armies with outdated armies.

I'm usually in eternal wars on diety.. Seems the world get to a point where they hate me, alot. Current game.. assyria and atilla are feeding me units to kill.. for the past 4800 years. India and Poland joined in about 3000 yrs ago, and recently germany and england have joined the fray.. roughly 800ish yrs ago.. Atleast only 5 of the 12 civs that are not currently at war with me want me dead.. we just have peace deals that feed me gpt. Eventually I'll have to kill them for world peace. I'm using the American method for world peace.

In G+K once I had around 200-300 turns of straight war. Stupid Isabella. By the time we got a brief peace treaty (and it was brief), my first Hwach'a was a +range logistics rocket artillery and got destroyed by a bomber before the war was over. She caught me unprepared, I lost 2 cities in about the first 10 turns of the way, and then for the next couple thousand years barely managed to fend off her attacks. I didn't manage to even start to push back until the modern era, and my army was always too weak for her to accept peace.

This is Emperor difficulty and my warmongering before this was just capturing the city state Hong Kong, because it had good lands and it was in my way. Sigh, I have captured city states before, and know the AI hate it when you capture CS, but this game was just ridiculous.

Anyone else have a similar situation in one of their games?

You can always pay warmonger AI to capture Hong Kong, then declare war on him and once you capture Hong Kong, puppet it instead of liberate. :lol: You'll get less agro points with AI that way then you attacking CS directly... or you could always citadel bomb their land, before settling right next to their border. I tend to do that when I play with Spain and CS has NW. :crazyeye:

So you already know the results after conquering CS are always terrible? What was the question again.

But I agree, things are too reminiscent of Vanilla now—if a warmonger attacks you and you don't die, the "peaceful" civs will declare on you for the crime of not letting the warmonger conquer you. Like when America invaded England for its warmongery behavior in WWII.

Capturing a civ early on gives the maximum warmonger penalty you can get, this is compounded when you take a CS(it's considered a minor civ so even more penalty). Even post-patch the hate will last, especially if you denounce back. I never capture CS's but it seems if they declare war on you the hate is less.

There's no warmongering penalty if you capture CS during war, while it's allied to AI that declared war on you. At least, I didn't noticed it. But you'll get huge diplo hits if even if you attack it outside any war with major civ, especially if it's under protection from those civs.

Attack just one CS under Alex's protection and he'll appear near your boarders in a matter of turns (if he is close to you)

There's no warmongering penalty if you capture CS during war, while it's allied to AI that declared war on you. At least, I didn't noticed it. But you'll get huge diplo hits if even if you attack it outside any war with major civ, especially if it's under protection from those civs.

Attack just one CS under Alex's protection and he'll appear near your boarders in a matter of turns (if he is close to you)

Does just declaring war on the CS work or do you actually have to take it? I'd like to provoke Alexander into war a bit more often, he seems to be fine with just competing for CS favor through gold.

....There's no warmongering penalty if you capture CS during war...

From the patch notes:
[BALANCE]
  • Warmonger Penalty
    • Warmonger penalty for conquering a city is now halved with other civs that are also at war with the civ being conquered.

Having allies doesn't negate warmonger penalties it only reduces it. Liberating cities is how you negate warmonger penalty. CS's are a 1 city civ and conquering a 1 city civ is bad at any time. I suspect you conquered your CS early on when there was not much cities founded, this will increase the warmonger score. I always check the tool-tip before I capture a city(unless there are cities I can liberate).

Does just declaring war on the CS work or do you actually have to take it? I'd like to provoke Alexander into war a bit more often, he seems to be fine with just competing for CS favor through gold.

Demanding tribute or allaying CS that he's allied with will make him cranky (especially if he asks you not to do it anymore, and you refuse), but if you declare war on CS's he's allied\protecting, he will most likely attack if he thinks he can crush you. (assuming you're already on neutral-hate diplo). Worked for me every single time. :D

From the patch notes:
[BALANCE]
  • Warmonger Penalty
    • Warmonger penalty for conquering a city is now halved with other civs that are also at war with the civ being conquered.

That wasn't the case in versions before. (at least not that I noticed) :( It was the only way to capture CS without penalty. :(

So you already know the results after conquering CS are always terrible? What was the question again.

But I agree, things are too reminiscent of Vanilla now—if a warmonger attacks you and you don't die, the "peaceful" civs will declare on you for the crime of not letting the warmonger conquer you. Like when America invaded England for its warmongery behavior in WWII.

In the past, I could usually get away with conquering one CS, and not have every Civ in the world denounce me and declare war. Conquering two would usually have the rest of the world hate you. But I suppose I just got lucky before, or unlucky this time. Either way, that sucked.

It just baffled me that the AI's refused any kind of peace offer, not even the kind of peace deals where the AI wants all my gold, luxuries and cities. They really loved Hong Kong apparently...

Top Bottom