Unit Title suggestions

Jampine

Warlord
So, its a commonly know fact that you can rename units when upgrading them, but what names do you guys use for them? One of the main reason I don't do this often is that I can't think of good names at the time, so maybe you can help me think of some? here's a few I sometimes use already: (# stands for numbers, such as 1st/2nd/5th)
Recon-for scouts, especially if they get an upgrade into archers :3
HMS Endeavor-My first caravel, named after captain Cooks ship, as I'll use it for exploration.
#SAS brigade/#Airborne-Paratroopers
METAL GEAR REX/RAY-GDR,nuff' said:nuke:
USS Enterprise-Battleship or missile cruiser

I'll have a look here in a week to see if we can figure out whats the best name suggestion anyone comes up with :goodjob:

I normally go:
#Commando for upgraded scouts
#Infantry for non-ranged
#Siege for siege
#[City-state from (ie #Almaty)] for gifted units
#Armour/Mounted for Armour/Mounted
#Fleet for ships
#Squadron for planes

Its generic, but I like it.

Sam44hill, welcome to CFC! :):goodjob::clap::band:[party]:dance::salute:

I've been using some boring names to indicate which promotion a unit is getting, say, "interceptor" or "sweeper" for fighters, "close air support" or "city strike" for bombers, "medic" for a ground unit, or "marine" for a normal ground unit that gets the amphibious promotion.

Ships may get famous names, like "Enterprise", or "Missouri" for a battleship, or "Nautilus" for a submarine. I need to build a privateer, just to call it the "Black Pearl" :)

If I'm playing as a civ I know some leaders names I rename my naval units to them.
So the Nicholas 1, Jefferson, Gorbachev

My naming convention typically goes as # of unit (e.g. 1st, 22nd, 18th, etc.) and a name given depending on their promotions or their purpose. For example, if my first warrior unit received a shock promotion, they'd be renamed "1st Offensive" and so on and so forth. If they received other, more powerful promotions, they'd get their name changed again but keep their number.

The naming convention I use based on promotion goes as follows, for common promotions:

Shock: Offensive
Drill: Guerrilla
Barrage: Fireteam
Accuracy: Sniper
Medic: Medic
Formation: Ward
Cover: Vanguard
Ambush: Iron
Amphibious: Marine
Self-heal (March, Repair, etc.): Immortal
Survival: Ranger
Extra Sight: Sentinel
Extra Attack (logistics, blitz, etc.): Lightning
Extra Move (range, mobility, etc.): Raider
City/Fortified Attack (siege, volley, etc.): Ninja

Particularly special units like aircraft carriers and UUs get unique titles depending on which civ they represent or how I am particularly feeling at the moment.

So it isn't just me then?! Actually I only tend to do this as England, but then I go overboard, especially with the naval units e.g. HMS Victory, Ajax, Hood, Defiance, Repulse etc. etc. for SOTL/Battleships; HMS Bounty, Hotspur, Beagle etc. etc. for caravels/privateers/destroyers, HMS Ark Royal, Hermes, Invincible for Aircraft carriers and so on. There is an absolute wealth of unit names for ground troops and I use them whether they match the unit type or not because upgrades often change the nature of the unit (e.g. melee to mounted); and air units get the fairly obvious 617, 633 etc. squadron names. My only regret is that units with no experience can't be named, which is usually the case with triremes and warriors. I once tried it with China but ended up making up ridiculously contrived names due to lack of knowledge!

I've never come to think about it. It is a terrific idea guys!

Will surely try both historical and guide naming.

When my initial warrior upgrades, I call him Dawn, to remember that he was the initial warrior, and see if he survives the entire game.

Then I use a weird mix of names for serpents (asp, viper, cobra) usually for archers or spearsmen (a scarcher is usually Slither); meteorological names in ascending order of magnitude (breeze, wind, torrent); names for fire (spark, blaze).

If someone gets promoted clearing a barb camp, I call that unit "Civil." Units that figure prominently in the defense of a city get names like Barricade, Turret, Moat.

It's a pretty weird mix when I see it laid out like that, but it makes sense to me in game.

I would sometimes name frigates/battleships after the civilizations cities - the first built named after the capital. In Civ4, I named units more often, but haven't bothered with it much in Civ5.

When my initial warrior upgrades, I call him Dawn, to remember that he was the initial warrior, and see if he survives the entire game.

Yes! I like to name the initial warrior something like "UnitZero" or "FirstOnes", and then try to keep them alive and upgraded until the end.

The other goofy thing I like to do is keep one example of the UU around, even after it is eligible for upgrade. I will name it something like "MuseumPiece", and park it in a city that is not likely to be attacked, for the kids to see on school field trips. I find it fun to have ancient age unit patrolling the streets while I'm working on bombers and spaceship parts.

Sometimes I'll name units after cities so I know where they should defend. Most of the time, I don't bother renaming

Thanks for the suggestions you guys!
I've also had the idea of naming some of my high leveled units after real or fictional units, such as:
The Dirty Dozen
The Cobras
Foxhound
B Company
The A-Team

(yeah, best that comes to mind right now)
Also I could name units that exist only to protect cities should be Civil protection? Comes with the "pick up the can" promotion? :p

(speaking of fox hound, maybe this will help make some more unit titles?)
http://youtu.be/eW2OWQYkCPQ ( can't seem to get the video window working :/)

Top Bottom